Press Conference - State a Question You Would Ask Kirk.

MelroseHawkins

I was really interested in the decision to fair catch every KO. I realize later in the game some went deep into the end zone but early in the game there were a couple that could have been returned by Wetjen. Now, knowing there was a pretty good chance the offense was going to struggle to move the ball without the best player on offense (Lachey) and two starting RB's, why not take a chance with the returns to get a break away or set up the offense a little better? What is there to lose?

I mean later in the game, it was proven Iowa wasn't moving the ball on offense with only 4 first downs in the game. Why the hell not take the chance with a return. I didn't get that and it didn't change throughout the game. Again, I realize a couple KO's were pretty deep later but there were some returnable KO in the game.

Good topic. I would grill him more about the Oline and ask what he saw in practices and leading up to the season that made him think Iowa would be better in that area? A fair question to someone known for Oline play who has had a terrible Oline for multiple seasons in a row.

Because the QB isn't getting enough protection to run our typical TE routes that often take more time to develop throughout the pattern, what are some things that have been discussed amongst the offensive coaching staff that could be done to combat that?

He just deflects any questions that appear critical and blackballs the reporter so I’d ask something seemingly innocuous that may get a telling answer like how has the run block scheme evolved over the last few years.

Where was the FB in the game? Why wasn't Large a part of the game plan and blocking on run plays? The guy was a key receiver at Dort playing TE and clearly has some ball skills. Why wasn't he a part of the offensive plan to loosen up that Penn St. D? Doesn't make sense at all.

Why not move your QB out of the pocket more with roll outs to buy more time for passes down the field or QB options?

Where are the slant passes?

It might be a good question for Cade next time he is on the podium. What is the difference between Iowa's offensive scheme and Michigan's? Why can't Iowa's WR's get open?

In the grand scheme of things how did allowing PSU to run nearly 3 times as many offensive plays work out for you in the long run?

As much as the Oline has been disappointing so has the DL in terms of getting pressure on the QB. Losing Van Ness has been extremely noticeable. Guys like Craig, Graves and Black have underwhelmed thus far. Depth is only great if the level of play is high. It'd sure be nice to see them raise it.

I know blitzing isn't something Iowa likes to do but since they used to do that passing down package they had a few yrs back with guys standing up moving around at the snap they haven't been doing anything of that sort anymore. Will Parker start integrating anything of that sort back in again since DL isn't getting off the field on 3rd downs

As much as the Oline has been disappointing so has the DL in terms of getting pressure on the QB. Losing Van Ness has been extremely noticeable. Guys like Craig, Graves and Black have underwhelmed thus far. Depth is only great if the level of play is high. It'd sure be nice to see them raise it.

I know blitzing isn't something Iowa likes to do but since they used to do that passing down package they had a few yrs back with guys standing up moving around at the snap they haven't been doing anything of that sort anymore. Will Parker start integrating anything of that sort back in again since DL isn't getting off the field on 3rd downs
I agree with this. Has Graves name even been called by an announcer this year? I was expecting him to be the next Nixon. Overall, the DL has been good, but nothing close to great. I have been impressed with the LBs. Secondary has been fine to really good, but the DL has to get better if this defense is going to do what it will take to carry the team once again this year.

Why does your offense seem to be only to do and play one way and once a defense stops them they seem to be stuck in the mud? There doesn't seem to be any room for adjustments or to change gears.

I agree with this. Has Graves name even been called by an announcer this year? I was expecting him to be the next Nixon. Overall, the DL has been good, but nothing close to great. I have been impressed with the LBs. Secondary has been fine to really good, but the DL has to get better if this defense is going to do what it will take to carry the team once again this year.
Yeah we were told all off season Craig would take that next step. And like you I slurped up that Graves would have a huge impact. I think I predicted on here multiple times that he would. E me. Black came into the yr healthy and looking the part but he's just not playing like it. Getting off the field on 3rd downs has become an issue and having a pass rush sure as hell would help with that and they've stunk at it so far.

Yeah we were told all off season Craig would take that next step. And like you I slurped up that Graves would have a huge impact. I think I predicted on here multiple times that he would. E me. Black came into the yr healthy and looking the part but he's just not playing like it. Getting off the field on 3rd downs has become an issue and having a pass rush sure as hell would help with that and they've stunk at it so far.
Not being able to get sacks and giving up many sacks is a horrible formula for football.

Why does your offense seem to be only to do and play one way and once a defense stops them they seem to be stuck in the mud? There doesn't seem to be any room for adjustments or to change gears.
I like this one. In the first 4 games, the Iowa passing game has done nothing once the first 2 drives of the game are done. It's like Brian is playing chess for beginers. Unable to work out a strategy beyond the first couple of moves.

I like this one. In the first 4 games, the Iowa passing game has done nothing once the first 2 drives of the game are done. It's like Brian is playing chess for beginers. Unable to work out a strategy beyond the first couple of moves.
They are just built to play one way and really don't seem to have a logical plan for a plan B or C when things aren't going well. They just don't seem to have any options thinking outside the box when the offense is stifled.

Latest posts