Preseason Coaches Poll

Fryowa

Administrator
Hawks got left out which is A-OK with me; polls are bullshit and less hype is always better.

Was thinking about it on the drive to work this morning…has there ever been a P5 team that sold out every ticket before the season—that was unranked going into the season?

Too much manual research for me, but my guess is no.

While I do not hate polls, and think they are a fun part of the whole college football landscape, I do not like the coaches poll. I have no idea why they even do it. The coaches don't do the voting anyway, and the SIDs or whomever does it, has no clue what is going on in other conferences. AP voters are professional sports writers and people whose job it is to survey and report on the entirety of college football. I put some stock into what that group collectively thinks.

While I do not hate polls, and think they are a fun part of the whole college football landscape, I do not like the coaches poll. I have no idea why they even do it. The coaches don't do the voting anyway, and the SIDs or whomever does it, has no clue what is going on in other conferences. AP voters are professional sports writers and people whose job it is to survey and report on the entirety of college football. I put some stock into what that group collectively thinks.

And they kind of help with early season game hype. A team might be #18 in the nation, but they are coming to your stadium to play your unranked team. Might help TV.

Last edited:

Texas was 5-7 last year, lost 6 of their last 7, and is ranked #18. They received 1 first-place vote.

Hawks got left out which is A-OK with me; polls are bullshit and less hype is always better.

Was thinking about it on the drive to work this morning…has there ever been a P5 team that sold out every ticket before the season—that was unranked going into the season?

Too much manual research for me, but my guess is no.
Totally ok with me too. Nowhere to go but up. Sounds like we woulda been 26th had that been a thing. If we play well and beat ISU we'll be in somewhere

Either we were unranked or barely ranked last year at the start and rose to #2 in the country. In 2002 I know we were unranked and also got as high as 2 or 3. It all sorts itself out.

Some teams get the perennial benefit of the doubt. Texas always overpromises and underdelivers. These teams may end up being awesome but I'm not sure:

USC
ND
Mich
Miami
OU
Ore

Sure, there is talent, but some of these teams haven't proven a lot lately, and some have first year coaches. It's possible they all do well, but I'm not so sure.

I'm happy with Iowa's unranked status. Interestingly, Kentucky gets some love and they probably deserve it, but will they be substantially better than Iowa?

Some teams get the perennial benefit of the doubt. Texas always overpromises and underdelivers. These teams may end up being awesome but I'm not sure:

USC
ND
Mich
Miami
OU
Ore

Sure, there is talent, but some of these teams haven't proven a lot lately, and some have first year coaches. It's possible they all do well, but I'm not so sure.

I'm happy with Iowa's unranked status. Interestingly, Kentucky gets some love and they probably deserve it, but will they be substantially better than Iowa?
Year in and year route, TX reminds me of the dressed-up prom date who promises "favors" before and then you end up choking the chicken after.

As an aside, ever notice how TX's helmet's emblem looks like fallopian tubes, vaginal track, a UTerus, etc.? :)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0
Year in and year route, TX reminds me of the dressed-up prom date who promises "favors" before and then you end up choking the chicken after.

As an aside, ever notice how TX's helmet's emblem looks like fallopian tubes, vaginal track, a UTerus, etc.? :)

Whoa. You gotta stop beatin' around the bush and just state your mind. o_O

When your offense is rated 120 in the nation, you don't start in the the top 20.
And yeah I'm not complaining. Winning 10 games with that bad of an offense has gotta be borderline unprecedented. To do it twice in a row......

So we shouldn't take too much offense to this ranking really. We should have to earn it.

I've got no problem not being ranked. Polls are dumb and pointless. You don't need to look at it any further than our Hawkeyes this season. Tell me what team that went 10-4 the previous season, won their division, returned their starting QB and on top of that, returned 17 starters and they aren't ranked heading into the next season? Iowa returns 76% of a team that did really well last year. That same program has spent time in the top 25 every single year for the last 7 seasons and finished in it 5 times.

we can't expect people to know shit like what I stated above, but if Iowa isn't in the top 25 this season most of the year, that will be more shocking than the opposite.

Polls suck because most people can't objectively put one together.

Last edited:

The Texas Fightin' Uteri. Yes, for such a macho man state, they have an interesting logo, as well as a flaccid football program.

Latest posts