Prater entering the draft

Prater is going to get worked in the NFL just like he was against Mizzou. He does not have NFL talent.

He MIGHT have NFL talent. He hasn't demonstrated it conclusively yet.

Amari was no gem early in his career btw. I distinctly remember watching teams throw on him early and often back then from my seat at Kinnick.

What si wrong with coming back, improving your skills and becoming a 2 time all big 10 performer? If he did that his stock would sure as hell rise. Come back Prater, improve on and off the field and possibly land a bigger better contract next year.

I love how many NFL talent evaluators we have in HN. The reality is few here would know an NFL CB from a ham sandwich. He was our best DB hands down, and he was 1st team all B10. Apparently he impresses someone. I'm sure he's talked to the appropriate people and if he's satisfied the NFL is the place for him more power to him and good luck. You people need smart phones.

I apologize for starting this thread. I read that report and thought it was worth posting. I am glad it may not be true as I would love to see Prater return.

I love how many NFL talent evaluators we have in HN. The reality is few here would know an NFL CB from a ham sandwich. He was our best DB hands down, and he was 1st team all B10. Apparently he impresses someone. I'm sure he's talked to the appropriate people and if he's satisfied the NFL is the place for him more power to him and good luck. You people need smart phones.

You don't really need to be an NFL Talent Evaluator to come to the conclusion that Prater is not ready for the NFL. Simple common sense will tell you that much! I would argue that he also was not our best defensive back. Yes he was First Team All-Big Ten, but so was AC and his play really didn't rise to that level this year like last. If you look at most game film from this year, it was Prater who was getting thrown at all game every game. I like Prater, don't get me wrong but one more year for him to enhance his technique, strength and speed will do him well!! For those of you that say he will play safety at the next level, well then Prater better back on 25 more pounds. He is way to small to play that position. Bob Sanders, he is not!! What Sanders loses out in height, he makes up for in strength and speed and his aggressive style of play!

Benny Sapp has done just fine and is no bigger than Prater. That being said I hope Prater returns and excels in the newly aggressive Parker D schemes featuring more man coverage and blitzing. Hey, a guy can dream.

Wow....why the hell would you leave school early to be a free agent in a year where there may be a lockout in the NFL?

There has to be something we're missing here....KF must be pushing him out for some reason....I can't believe for even a second that KF would let this happen.....either our entire coaching staff has failed him or there is more to this then what we know.

Never mind! Just saw the other posts. Carry on. Nothing to see here. Glad he's staying.

Last edited:
Stats do not mean everything I realize that but they have some say in how someone is doing so I decided to look at some top CB's in the Big Ten. Also Prater didn't get beat a whole lot this season and seemed to be right on top of his man when they caught the ball. He made some mistakes but most players do.

Prater - 68 tackles
4 interceptions (20 yards AVG on return & 1 TD)

Fenelus - 56 tackles
4 interceptions (11.3 yards AVG on return)

Checkwa - 42 tackles
3 interceptions (7.3 yards AVG on return)

Rucker - 56 tackles
2 interceptions (10 yards AVG on return)

*got stats off of ESPN and they said they aren't considered official so if some are off that's why but I think it's accurate.

Prater had more tackles then anyone else which could mean many different things. Could mean he didn't cover his WR very well and they were open. Or you could take into account Iowa plays about 7-10 yards off the receivers most of the game and most teams threw short passes on Iowa.

I thought Prater played really well this season, weather he deserved First team all Big Ten honors or not is debatable. I think he at least deserved consideration.

You have to keep in mind that this just means he filled out the paper work like the other players did. He will be evaluated and if he is a late round choice he will be back in school. If hires and agent then he is gone. Haven't read all the posts so I don't know that he hired an agent.

You have to keep in mind that this just means he filled out the paper work like the other players did. He will be evaluated and if he is a late round choice he will be back in school. If hires and agent then he is gone. Haven't read all the posts so I don't know that he hired an agent.

That happened 2 weeks ago.

If this thread had been true (which apparently it isn't) it would have been him declaring after finding out his evaluation.

Latest posts