Prater entering the draft

Where do some of these underclassmen get their advice? It is rarely an issue here at Iowa but some of these guys have no business leaving school early.

He is not ready to be an NFL defensive back.

Poor decision. I thought Speivey leaving was a poor decision and he was twice the player Prater is and was in need of the money.

Really? That rather surprises me. I wonder if he/his family is having some financial issues and he needs the money. I find it hard to believe that he rated out to be drafted in the first couple of rounds. I'm guessing that he will end up at safety in the NFL.

Good luck to him. Hopefully, we will have another Hawk to watch play on Sundays...

Prater is no where near the talent Spievey is and he wasnt taken untill the 3rd rd. I was actually surprised when he was named 1st team all B10. Is he a good CB....you bet. Is he NFL ready....IMO...no.

Oh thats just great. Now some Idiot is gonna run around on these boards calling us Corner Back U

we need some kool-aid drinkers to come and tell us how losing Prater isn't a problem...
just like losing Angerer, Edds, Speivey, Wegher, Moeaki, Hampton, Gordon, French, ARob...and others, wasn't supposed to hurt us.

Wow....why the hell would you leave school early to be a free agent in a year where there may be a lockout in the NFL?

There has to be something we're missing here....KF must be pushing him out for some reason....I can't believe for even a second that KF would let this happen.....either our entire coaching staff has failed him or there is more to this then what we know.

I'll go on record right now as saying if this is true, McNutt is gone as well. There is something behind a guy leaving early that may not even be drafted. Seeing as how McNutt filed the paperwork too, I'm guessing he is in the same boat as Prater.

I'll go on record right now as saying if this is true, McNutt is gone as well. There is something behind a guy leaving early that may not even be drafted. Seeing as how McNutt filed the paperwork too, I'm guessing he is in the same boat as Prater.

Definitely crossed my mind that these guys might be in "hot water" with the coaching staff.

If he's leaving its because he got good feedback from the NFL, nobody's pushing anybody out.

Homer- need some clarification. Are you referring to Prater's decision or do you not believe that it is true?

Just like others were indicating ... I just don't believe that Prater is ready. I recognize that he was an All-Big 10 selection, however, I am a little bit surprised that he's bolting.

I think that Spievey could have used the extra year too ... however, I could definitely see Amari stepping up as he's done and playing at a starting level in the NFL. I just don't see that with Prater.

Anyhow, here's the logic that I see that COULD influence Prater's decision:

I'm no longer going to have Clayborn, Ballard, or Klug in front of me on the DL. That means that I'd have to worry even more about run support AND the guys in front likely will have more trouble generating a pass-rush too. I better get outta here before my production drops!

Last edited:
His facebook status would say otherwise...

"To clean up the rumors I have not declared as of now I am still a proud hawkeye"

If he's leaving its because he got good feedback from the NFL, nobody's pushing anybody out.

I doubt anyone told Prater he'd be picked in the top 3 rounds....Prater isn't Spievey....he might be with one more year....but he isn't there yet.

If you aren't going in the top 3 rounds, you've got a lot of money to make by coming back one more year.

This smells really fishy to me.

In general, anyone know how long it takes to get the feedback from the NFL people? These guys just filed their paperwork last week or at most the week before...would they already have their answer?

**Edit - In lieu of the facebook status posted, I will withhold judgment until confirmed.**

Last edited:

Latest posts