Practice National Champions vs Osu Game thread

This would have been a loss any year. I like the way the Defense played until they ran out of gas. I hoped we could have hung in to at least cover the spread. Not playing Padilla all year led to his first T/O and he was set up for failure when OSU's offense got rolling. Still breaking the gridlock on QB by Petras was worth the cost. I hope going forward the position is still open for competition. I hope Padilla is the starter for at least one game.

I truly feel bad for this defense.

I'm legitimately worried about mass transfers, both sides of the ball. Coaching malpractice and incompetence at coaching/development of QB, Oline, and scheming over last 4-5 years has killed Iowa football... all while having perennial top 10-20 defense and special teams.

I have zero faith in Barta or KF with a program saving transition or succession of current staff.

Dark days... shades of late 90s... but this time it's not an overall lack if talent... just incompetence of QB and Oline development and adjusting schemes to be decent.

I think it's a combination of a poor offensive line, an awful QB, and just terrible play calling. Add in only one solid target in LaPorta and this is what you get. The only way this is fixed is if Barta tells Kirk this is it for Brian as OC. I'm not holding my breath on that.

I truly feel bad for this defense.

I'm legitimately worried about mass transfers, both sides of the ball. Coaching malpractice and incompetence at coaching/development of QB, Oline, and scheming over last 4-5 years has killed Iowa football... all while having perennial top 10-20 defense and special teams.

I have zero faith in Barta or KF with a program saving transition or succession of current staff.

Dark days... shades of late 90s... but this time it's not an overall lack if talent... just incompetence of QB and Oline development and adjusting schemes to be decent.
It seems Iowa is no longer a desireable destination for offensive talent - HS recruits or transfers. And that is a program problem, not something that can be overcome with 'execution' or 'cleaning things up'.
The only solution is a reboot (ala Hayden Fry 1979).

It seems Iowa is no longer a desireable destination for offensive talent - HS recruits or transfers. And that is a program problem, not something that can be overcome with 'execution' or 'cleaning things up'.
The only solution is a reboot (ala Hayden Fry 1979).

Wait, you mean it used to be a desirable destination? The only offense Iowa has even been able to recruit is good offensive lineman and tightends, occasionally we get an interesting running back. Top WR's and QB's have never came to Iowa, not since Hayden Fry was coaching.

I think it's a combination of a poor offensive line, an awful QB, and just terrible play calling. Add in only one solid target in LaPorta and this is what you get. The only way this is fixed is if Barta tells Kirk this is it for Brian as OC. I'm not holding my breath on that.
I believe our receivers are better than they are showing, at least 4 or 5 times they had their men beat but Petras always threw to his primary target, the few times he had time To throw. Bruce is good, Petras is just not getting him the ball. We don’t throw to our backs, big problem. They will all transfer if they don’t get this figured out. They see what Charley is doing.

I believe our receivers are better than they are showing, at least 4 or 5 times they had their men beat but Petras always threw to his primary target, the few times he had time To throw. Bruce is good, Petras is just not getting him the ball. We don’t throw to our backs, big problem. They will all transfer if they don’t get this figured out. They see what Charley is doing.
I think you are right. Petras simply does not see the field. I attribute that failure to his inability to handle the pressure of being a power 5 QB. In short, he does not have the mental or physical skill set to succeed. Poise and Accuracy.

Latest posts