Post season streaming TV assessment

I got cut off of the internet..I have used firstrow,wiziwig, etc and just about all of them. They are hit or miss, mostly miss. I wish I could find a service here for a reasonable price. At least I can listen to the games with Tunein radio.

I got cut off of the internet..I have used firstrow,wiziwig, etc and just about all of them. They are hit or miss, mostly miss. I wish I could find a service here for a reasonable price. At least I can listen to the games with Tunein radio.
Where at in SA? Sounds pretty good compared to N IA right now.

I just checked my YouTubeTV configuration, and it looks like they have the 3 Big10 Overflow channels now, they were just unchecked by default (wtf). I've enabled them now, so we'll have to see what happens. Obviously shouldn't need them for a while.

I just checked my YouTubeTV configuration, and it looks like they have the 3 Big10 Overflow channels now, they were just unchecked by default (wtf). I've enabled them now, so we'll have to see what happens. Obviously shouldn't need them for a while.
I have the same thing on Playstation Vue and they are always the same programming as the main BTN, or so I've noticed so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything extra

What are all of you seeing for increased download charges through your ISP when you use more streaming services?

I gave up on Directv a 2nd time when it got to $105 after taxes, etc. I free sample netflix, you tube live, hulu live and a few others and then I went with You tube live for the normal $40 a month.

But we churned through much more download data and our normal $40 ISP bill jumped $30-40 a month. It is still less cost than DTV (money not necessarily the main issue as service has to be good) but You Tube Tv in the Des MOines area does not include NBC nor Iowa Public TV. So that is a negative.

Has anyone ever figured out any ways to diminish download data usage while using streaming sites?

What are all of you seeing for increased download charges through your ISP when you use more streaming services?

I gave up on Directv a 2nd time when it got to $105 after taxes, etc. I free sample netflix, you tube live, hulu live and a few others and then I went with You tube live for the normal $40 a month.

But we churned through much more download data and our normal $40 ISP bill jumped $30-40 a month. It is still less cost than DTV (money not necessarily the main issue as service has to be good) but You Tube Tv in the Des MOines area does not include NBC nor Iowa Public TV. So that is a negative.

Has anyone ever figured out any ways to diminish download data usage while using streaming sites?

Yep, that's a real thing that I did not see coming. my internet is 50 and over charges are 10, 20, 30. I can pay 30 for unlimited.

I missed Iowa's long TD against MSU because my HULU was somehow behind "live" so I thought I'd catch up...it was a commercial and I missed the stinking play !

I have a basic HD antenna that I use for local channels. I've got Hulu Live and while I do like the DVR function it's annoying to not be able to forward through commercials if the event is still in progress. Also sometimes without warning it will go backwards and I either have to get back to live or watch all the ads again.

I got a couple letters from Century Link alerting me to my abuse of their plan. If I kept it up, they would start charging extra. This was when I was between jobs. Once I went back to work, my usage dropped below their precious abuse levels.

This might become an issue in 10 odd years when I retire. Or there will be a few more technological paradigm shifts that will cause current media delivery methods to go by the way of the portable CD player.

I got a couple letters from Century Link alerting me to my abuse of their plan. If I kept it up, they would start charging extra. This was when I was between jobs. Once I went back to work, my usage dropped below their precious abuse levels.

This might become an issue in 10 odd years when I retire. Or there will be a few more technological paradigm shifts that will cause current media delivery methods to go by the way of the portable CD player.

Man I am surprised they didnt charge you extra. I am going to look into buying more gigabytes thru mediacom.

and as time goes on providers will somehow compress files better to lower download data amounts. You Tube seems to deliver content with lesser file sizes. But premium HD from amazon, netflix, etc. are probably large files

We use YouTubeTV. I like it well enough but I don't watch anything besides Hawkeye games and NFL. We also have Hulu and HBONow subscriptions but I don't use them at all. I can get all of the Iowa games that are broadcast fine on YouTubeTV and it automatically records them so I can watch later and skip through all the ads. I don't need Sunday Ticket for NFL games even though my team is never on locally (Browns). I can watch any NFL game I want, and have for years, for free streaming it.

I have the same thing on Playstation Vue and they are always the same programming as the main BTN, or so I've noticed so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything extra

Even during football season where there are legitimately multiple games on? I could see it all being the same when they don't need the overflows.

Even during football season where there are legitimately multiple games on? I could see it all being the same when they don't need the overflows.
I had that problem during football season too. I had to use the BTN2GO app. I was using DirecTV Now at the time. Now I have Hulu live which is cheaper and i havent had the problem but Basketball games are spread out more so it could just be a fluke. The thing I like the best of streaming TV service is that during the summer when there are no sports I like, I can drop the service and just add it again in the fall.

The first month I had it, I was over my data by $80. I upgraded to 1000 gigs a month (from 300) for $10 a month and that fixed it, haven't come close

The first month I had it, I was over my data by $80. I upgraded to 1000 gigs a month (from 300) for $10 a month and that fixed it, haven't come close

80 bucks, ouch. Well I count myself in the very fortunate to not have been charged bucket.

Yep, Mediacom is trash

Speaking of Mediacom, have they gotten any better in the last 10 years? I'm currently on CenturyLink DSL at 60M/5M, and while that has worked up until now, it's proving to be inadequate as the kids get older and stream more content to their phones, or try and play games like Fortnite. Unfortunately the only option I have to get a higher speed is to go with Mediacom. ImOn is starting residential service this year, but I'm guessing it's going to be for high-density areas so they can get the most bang for the buck. My neighborhood won't be high on their list.

So how is the reliability of Mediacom's Internet these days?

Latest posts