Post Mortem: 7-3

You guys may be right that the O Line sucked. I would suggest a look at the tape and see if SD had any players further than 5-6 yards off the LOS. Teams consistently do this to us and we have yet to answer. We sure looked outnumbered. And remember SD was no great shakes on D, according to pre-game predictions.
Petras makes an O line suffer, because the D just sits in tight and makes us rely on the pass or some junk plays. The rest is on BF. He is a walking disaster. How many years in a row have we been toward the bottom? KF is increasingly hard to support. Right now, which teams on our schedule will we beat?
This was the most embarrassing Iowa football game in a long time, at least for me.

Coach, what did you think of your offense's performance today?

I thought it was tremendous. It almost scored more points than our defense, and we have one of the best, if not the best defenses in the nation.

Held them to 3 points

They were hauling jackrabbit bodies off the battleground all day long

Can our D carry the day all season long

We shall see

Might as well turn the page on Georgia at Oregon game

49-3, Bulldogs with 14:50 in the fourth quarter

Thought the Cincinnati at Arkansas would be a good game

Perhaps: 21-14 in the third quarter

Who gives a flying F

Looking forward to the Norte Dame-Ohio State game tonight

He's thrown for 10 total touchdowns.
5 of them came in 2 games. Maryland and Penn State.

We have ourselves a situation like we did in 1989. The late Tom Poholsky was a great guy, with a lot of personal tools and upside. But he couldn't quite knit it together. Some of that was he just didn't have a great team around him.

I knew the family. Graduated from the same high school. I was sad to see him not play. But in 1989, the team wasn't very good. He wasn't the future.

Matt Rodgers learned a lot that season. And boy, did it pay off.

Last edited:
Because minds on HN about Hawk Central, Chad L., and local media’s refusal to hold KF accountable, the same old crew will ignore this post. The “I ain’t gonna pay for that HC garbage” reverberates around this Forum. But, I will try one more time. HC stuff is on Facebook, for free. And if you want to read an article that tears KF and BF a new asshole, read Chad L’s latest. He won’t be banned, either. And, stop with the interview room being the place to call out the coaches. Fuckin’ drama Queens only love this shit.

Feels like the day the offense died. Bye bye to that Petras guy
One would think but the announcers were told by Kirk, Petras is the guy. Knowing how stubborn Kirk is I won't be surprised if doesn't make a change. Kirk is always touting Petras for his ball security. Today fumbles, ints, sacks....what will it take to make a change? If I'm Padilla I'm feeling like a fool for staying and thinking it was an "open" competition. Kirk heard the crowd. He was making a point of not changing QB's. He doesn't answer to the crowd, which is good and bad but think about Petras's mental frame right now. He has lost the crowd, he knows it and Kirk knows it. This reminds me so much of when Kirk played Vandenberg his last game with no bowl game on the line. Stubborn can be good but most of the time it's bad.

You guys may be right that the O Line sucked. I would suggest a look at the tape and see if SD had any players further than 5-6 yards off the LOS. Teams consistently do this to us and we have yet to answer. We sure looked outnumbered. And remember SD was no great shakes on D, according to pre-game predictions.
Petras makes an O line suffer, because the D just sits in tight and makes us rely on the pass or some junk plays. The rest is on BF. He is a walking disaster. How many years in a row have we been toward the bottom? KF is increasingly hard to support. Right now, which teams on our schedule will we beat?
This was the most embarrassing Iowa football game in a long time, at least for me.
How many offensive linemen go on to be good offensive coordinators? The list has to be short.

He's thrown for 10 total touchdowns.
5 of them came in 2 games. Maryland and Penn State.

We have ourselves a situation like we did in 1989. The late Tom Poholsky was a great guy, with a lot of personal tools and upside. But he couldn't quite knit it together. Some of that was he just didn't have a great team around him.

I knew the family. Graduated from the same high school. I was sad to see him not play. But in 1989, the team wasn't very good. He wasn't the future.

Matt Rodgers learned a lot that season. And boy, did it pay off
I’d say Poholsky was better than Petras. Great comparison on ‘89. The bad part is that was Fry and he wasn’t so stubborn.

People are gonna talk about how bad Petras was -- and he sucked -- but the offensive line was even an order of magnitude worse. What the hell is wrong with our offensive line? Zero push all game against an FCS defense.
Well to be fair they did a decent job early but when the FCS realized that Petras was not going to beat them they camped on the line. Also the roll out game plan was just awful for Petras. He throws high almost every time on the run. I don't think he can fix that. The line usually let one guy through in the first half per play, that guy got Petras almost every time. We had bad QB's before but Petras is starting to make me wax nostalgic about Christianson. Petras has a cannon, why does he need so much time to throw?

Held them to 3 points

They were hauling jackrabbit bodies off the battleground all day long

Can our D carry the day all season long

We shall see
I’ve been a defense and special teams guy for years, but I simply don’t see how they can carry this offense. Something has to change offensively for this team to be competitive. I really hope I’m wrong but my optimism is showing less signs of life then the offense was today.

Latest posts