Positives from the Iowa @ISU game?

wolfgang

Ok..we've all had some time now. Break down some of the positives from last night because there were actually some:) I'm trying to re watch the game now but I keep hitting play n 30 seconds later turn it off. It's gonna take me 2 days to re watch this:)

I don't think you can take anything positive away from the game the way Iowa GAVE it away in epic fashion at the end.

I didn't think Uthoff could be THAT good in the 1st half. If he can consistently be anywhere close to that the rest of the year we will compete for the Big 10 title. They just really really need to string some close game wins together to build some confidence. The players are just waiting to lose at the end and calling one more timeout won't change that.

I've always been skeptical of Peter, but he has finally earned 100% of my trust. I don't know if the eye poke effected him at all late but he was huge in the beginning of the 2nd half.

Uthoff was unreal. Seriously. Better than anybody on the floor hands down. Probably the best first half by anyone in college basketball this whole year. George's has nothing on him

We were right there. And we won't play in a more hostile environment the rest of the season IMO. And the team will improve...depth in particular.

The refs didn't screw us this time. We beat 'em to it and screwed ourselves.

That was my reaction as well. Usually I am a huge homer when it comes to the Hawkeyes getting screwed by the officials, but we just weren't aggressive enough in the second half. First half Mike and Anthony were making plays towards the hoop and it was opening up shooters or they were getting fouled in the process. But this was probably because 3 ISU players had to be ready in case Jarrod tried driving to the hoop.

The biggest positive is in the first half we showed this team could be a juggernaut offensively when they are hitting shots. I haven't seen another player in the nation have a half like Uthoff had last night. To add to it, Woody had a great first half staying out of foul trouble and going at McKay.

This may end up teach our guys that they can't play to not lose. Similar to the football team last year. I just hope they make the adjustment in the middle of the season as opposed to when it is over.

I'm glad we play a couple more bad teams to put this game further in the rear view. This season could go two ways from here. It could be a confidence builder because we went toe to toe with a top 10 team, or it can be a confidence killer because we gave the game away.

Positives:

1) We played a quality opponent that will get us ready for the B1G schedule
2) For 95% of the game we handled a hostile environment very well
3) If you would have told me that we get beat by 1 point before the game was played, I would have said that we must have played a very good game, as ISU is nearly impossible to beat in that building over the last 5 years.

It is hard to get past the meltdown at the end. Yet it seems that we have a non con meltdown or trashing loss every year, that doesn't seem to effect us the remainder of the year. Hopefully that is the case here as well.

Uthoff is the team for Iowa this season. When he's not being aggressively guarded like he wasn't in the first half against ISU, he can score big time. Uthoff will never be a guard. No one should ever claim he's a guard at any level of competition. Larry Bird might've had a more difficult time against a forward/guard (although I doubt it, he's got some ball skills).

Uthoff is like Larry Bird without ball skills. If there's anything Uthoff MUST still work on is ball skills...dribbling skills.

Unfortunately once Uthoff begins play in the B1G, physical play will be the norm and Uthoff won't get such wide open looks as he did in the first half of ISU.

Maybe Fran will scrap the zone from time to time so his players can rebound some of those missed shots that aren't directly in the lane?

Latest posts