Positive outlook...potential!!

RedHawk

Banned
Win or lose, I love my Hawkeyes!! All you gloom & doom fanatics need to do a character check. I can see the potential in this team.

Here's my positive outlook:
Running backs
: Weisman is a bull. He hits the holes quick and runs physical - he's fun to watch. A mini Shonn Green inflicting pain on would be tacklers. Bullock has shown talent too. He is quick, runs hard and is a receiving threat. Garmon is fast, he's an explosive kick returner for now. Canzeri is nearly ready to play and he's fast and elusive. Rogers is getting healthy too and he's an excellent blocker. All these backs are young and improving every game.
Tight Ends: We're loaded with young NFL caliber talent here - Hamilton, CJ & others - youth and size and speed.
Offensive line:
We are loaded with young talent and depth. The lineman are beginning to blossom as a unit. Protection is getting good and they are blowing open huge holes in the running game. Experience will eliminate the occasional missed assignment that currently stalls drives. You can see the improvement every game.
Kicker: Meyer is an All Big 10 kicker. Hits the field goals, never misses PAT's and drills kickoff's thru the endzone and he's young.
Punter: one of the highest rated in country - true freshman. He needs a few games under his belt. Solid senior backup in Weinke.
Wide Receiver:
Davis is coming around and showing his talent. Manley is young, but talented and is exciting to watch. We really need a world class speedster here to stretch defenses and a clutch third down glue for hands kind of guy who runs precision routes.

Defense was supposed to be our weakest link. They've played brilliantly in the 2nd half of every game this year. It's just a matter of time before we start seeing complete games from them in my opinion. Halftime coaching adjustments have been brilliant all year. We're playing more nickel & dime packages, more man press coverages and even blitzing occasionally. We seem to be able to get crucial stops when we need them. Quite a few shutdown three & outs by this defense. We're young as a unit and still missing assignments at times, but experience will clean that up.
Defensive backs:
Playing excellent - maybe the best overall unit Iowa's had in a long time and they're young.
Linebackers:
talented and young linebacking group, If anything, a bit undersized in the middle -especially since we're playing a smaller line. Personally, I think Alston needs to anchor the middle and shift Morris to the side like late last year. That's a better spot for him.
D-line:
was supposed to be our weak link - they've been steady with occasional bursts of talented play. D-line is light on experience but improving. We're a bit undersized on the D-line....we'll see if that becomes a liability.
QB:
Vandenberg - experienced starter, senior. A real mystery to me. Great one series, then lost the next. Not seeing the field well at all, missing wide open receivers. Lacks touch on short passes. Seems afraid to throw deep at times. Stares down receivers, fails to find or look for 2nd & 3rd options. Even his supposed flawless mechanics have abandoned him. Is he hurt? Happy feet? Feeling the pressure of losing his job to the kid? Struggling with the system? Rare to see such regression from a senior starter.

The pieces are in place for the Hawks to be very good. Youth and inexperience are hurting us. We lack that polished organized confidence that experience provides. I think the team seriously lacks leadership. On both those onside kicks, Derby (a senior) and another receiver jumping out of the way of the ball - like they don't want to make the play or possibly a mistake. Derby's been there, no confusion, he's a senior...make the play. Vandenberg seems to lack that "play to win" killer instinct too. Not sure this team has a bad *** "Angerer type" showing everyone what it takes to win on defense. Have yet to see that "Stanzi type" leader on offense who is unfazed by mistakes and possesses complete confidence in their ability to lead the team to a win. There's hope for the defense...I think we're starting to see some swagger. On offense, that leader needs to be the QB. All the successful Hawk teams had QB leaders - Stanzi, Tate, Banks, Hartlieb, Long etc. who were confident leaders. I'm not sure Vandy has "IT". The talent's there. Leadership is what's missing.

Last edited:
If you move Morris to the outside, who do you relegate to the bench? All three LB's have played fantastic. Morris is just fine in the middle.

It's pretty simple if we can't beat Central Michigan at home I'm not sure we can win even the worst big ten team.

It's pretty simple if we can't beat Central Michigan at home I'm not sure we can win even the worst big ten team.

We've had plenty of season's that started this way. Then we got on a role. Pre-season is practice. Who gives a f***if we beat Central Mich. I want to crush the goophers and northwestern and Purdue etc. Central Mich. didn't beat us...the referees with a big assist from ourselves is what beat us. That's fixable.

I like the thoughts. I think this season CAN still be decent, but I really worry about Vandenshermanchristianberg. I think that's a big part of the problem here.

We've had plenty of season's that started this way. Then we got on a role. Pre-season is practice. Who gives a f***if we beat Central Mich. I want to crush the goophers and northwestern and Purdue etc. Central Mich. didn't beat us...the referees with a big assist from ourselves is what beat us. That's fixable.

Then you better go find another team to be a fan of. NEWSFLASH! We just lost to a directional MAC program at home who just so happens to be the 13th worst team in college football. I'm not even sure how you could vomit up some of the stuff you did in your original post, but you need to take the black and gold glasses off and take a nice steady dose of reality.

My impression of RedHawk...
stimpybeforehapy.jpg

I see nothing wrong with someone trying to have a positive outlook. However...If we have the talent you say we do, even with bad coaching we should be a team like Central Michigan...

This is a ridiculous statement. Central Michigan beat us, and we beat ourselves with stupid, undisciplined play. Could the referees been better? Sure, but against Central Michigan, it really shouldn't matter. But they were the better coached team, and they may the plays they had to make to win the game.

I like the thoughts. I think this season CAN still be decent, but I really worry about Vandenshermanchristianberg. I think that's a big part of the problem here.

I agree, 5th year players should not look so clueless. I know it's a new offense, but what offense has you lock onto one receiver and refuse to look at the rest of the field? Not to mention, he has developed a case of Jake Christensan disease. It's in the early stages, but it's evident when he throws the ball hard straight at the recievers feet.

We scored 31 points with our 24th string RB. Our defense gave up 32. Obviously it's Vandenberg's fault.............

Why is everyone so high on CJF? I don't get it. He's a junior who has 29 catches in his career. He's never caught over 4 balls in a game and only has 1 game over 50 yards and we keep talking about him in the NFL. just b/c of his size? B/c his production is LOWSY. Especially compared to other Hawk TE's in years past that are in the NFL.

We scored 31 points with our 24th string RB. Our defense gave up 32. Obviously it's Vandenberg's fault.............

Why is everyone so high on CJF? I don't get it. He's a junior who has 29 catches in his career. He's never caught over 4 balls in a game and only has 1 game over 50 yards and we keep talking about him in the NFL. just b/c of his size? B/c his production is LOWSY. Especially compared to other Hawk TE's in years past that are in the NFL.

See:

1. Gamefilm's excellent reviews of VDB.
2. The second quarter of the game. This was a bad CMU defense that VDB couldn't exploit. That game was all but lost in the second quarter.

Yes, the defense did give up 23 points by half, and that was big, but VDB is a senior who should be making plays consistently. He makes some, but he baffles everyone at other times.

His scripted, first drives are awesome. Stanzi or Tate...he ain't.

As of 4 games, the following players on Offense should have the ball on a regular basis: Weisman, CJF, Bullock, and KMM, Davis is too inconsistent. Is someone who will help but I think Kevonte has done more so far out of the Wr's to be somewhat the guy to get the ball to.

Potential but has not proven themselves: Cotton, Garmon, Hamilton, Smith, Derby

Has not impressed me much at all: Hillyer, JVB, Shumpert, Davis(once again here one play gone the next) and kid from Oskaloosa, name slips me.

If all else fails: Let Myer do it all! He is Mr. Consistent!

Latest posts