Poor player development or recruiting

All you Fran appologists sicken me. You acceptance of medeocrity is exactly why we are in this mess. Fran can't develop talent to save his life. He can even coach his seven footer to block shots. What a joke!!!!

While I think McCaffrey is an excellent coach, I am starting to have serious concerns about his ability to evaluate talent and develop the project players he has landed. Year one and two were free passes, building to a recruiting class that could give us enough talent and depth to start righting the ship. Gesell and Woodbury were a unique duo who wanted to play together and grew up Iowa fans. Regardless, McCaffrey put the time in to land them away from other legit programs, so props to him. The others offers are, IMO, questionable at best. Clemmons-no offense. Meyer-RS. Ingram-does not play and has not displayed any offensive aptitude whatsoever. How do these guys help us run, shoot 3's and score in the 80's?

Next to the returning players. May-hustle / effort/ no offense. McCabe-was supposed to evolve into 3 point threat--not so much. Oglesby-not knocking down shots. White-hustle / garbage buckets and FT's, struggles to impact half court offense. Basabe-big time improvement. Olsaeni-no offense, but sort of figuring out how to block out and rebound. Marble-drawing top defender and more attention has hampered his flow and nobody else can create their own offense.

Incoming players: Uthoff, Jok and Meyer have to be able to contribute offensively to account for aforementioned guys who have limited at best skill sets. I thought Clemmons or Ingram would be able to drive, shoot, etc., but neither has offensive tools. I recognize that defense was a concern after year 1 and 2 when we couldn't guard anyone, but as we saw Sunday, the entire team can be put on ice if our opponents lock down Marble and nobody commands respect on the perimeter.

Where did he say that? I must not have gotten that far.

See bolded text.

I think you might be embarrassed by this post a couple years from now.....

Immediately when hired: Basabe, was a Mid major kid who has played pretty well in the BIG. Is he an elite BIG player? No, but very serviceable for getting him when he did.

During year 1: Fran got Ogelsby to commit (he was a top 150 kid) and he took a shot on Aaron White who nobody had offered. So the one commit showed Fran can get a top 150 kid to come, and the second commit showed that Fran can spot unrecognized and un-offered talent.

During year 2: Fran secured a top 50 commit, a top 100 commit, and he brought in under the radar talent in Clemmons, Ingram and Meyers. One is already looking to be successful, the other 2 the jury is out on.

During year 3: Fran wrapped up a kid that is just ooozing with talent. Coming back from an injury, Fran struck while he could, and got the kid to commit. I think this signing will also show that Fran knows what he is doing, as Jok will be a difference maker, and he was the first major program to step up and offer after the injury.

It is way to early to really know how good a of an eye for talent that Fran has. Yet early evidence is indicating with Basabe, White and Clemons that he certainly might be very, very good at spotting under the radar talent. Just because a kid doesn't blow up his Fr year, doesn't mean they won't be very good players as So, Jr, or Sr.

You forgot about Gabe. He might end up being the best example of Frans ability to spot talent by the time he graduates. Worst case scenario is he was a pretty good get for where our program was.

You forgot about Gabe. He might end up being the best example of Frans ability to spot talent by the time he graduates. Worst case scenario is he was a pretty good get for where our program was.

My concern is that the Iowa basketball staff is to close to the Iowa football staff. Ferentz promised an exciting wide open offense when he was hired, and he has probably the most boring offensive package in college football. Fran seems to be concentrating mostly on defense and has said the offense will score enough points. I thought the basketball team played a pretty good defensive game, but it was amost as boring as the football games since Norm Parker got sick. Fran hasn't probably recruited the high quality athlete he needs to run his offenses efficiently or they don't have the experience yet. The basketball is still more exciting to watch under Fran than under Lickliter. The game against Purdue reminded me of when Alford was the coach.

It's posts like the OP's that make me wish we had a dislike button 'round hurrr. F'ng 'tard Nugent ******.

My concern is that the Iowa basketball staff is to close to the Iowa football staff. Ferentz promised an exciting wide open offense when he was hired, and he has probably the most boring offensive package in college football. Fran seems to be concentrating mostly on defense and has said the offense will score enough points. I thought the basketball team played a pretty good defensive game, but it was amost as boring as the football games since Norm Parker got sick. Fran hasn't probably recruited the high quality athlete he needs to run his offenses efficiently or they don't have the experience yet. The basketball is still more exciting to watch under Fran than under Lickliter. The game against Purdue reminded me of when Alford was the coach.

Could you give us some evidence sir of the "boring" offense at Purdue? Yes Iowa missed shot after shot and dribbled too much side to side... maybe because it's at Purdue... a great defensive, physical big time team?

Every time Iowa could run and press they did so.

You sir... no nothing about BB.

Could you give us some evidence sir of the "boring" offense at Purdue? Yes Iowa missed shot after shot and dribbled too much side to side... maybe because it's at Purdue... a great defensive, physical big time team?

Every time Iowa could run and press they did so.

You sir... no nothing about BB.

I appreciate your kindness. You must be a defensive kind of guy.

All you Fran appologists sicken me. You acceptance of medeocrity is exactly why we are in this mess. Fran can't develop talent to save his life. He can even coach his seven footer to block shots. What a joke!!!!
Doosh-grenade!

I think you might be embarrassed by this post a couple years from now.....

Immediately when hired: Basabe, was a Mid major kid who has played pretty well in the BIG. Is he an elite BIG player? No, but very serviceable for getting him when he did.

During year 1: Fran got Ogelsby to commit (he was a top 150 kid) and he took a shot on Aaron White who nobody had offered. So the one commit showed Fran can get a top 150 kid to come, and the second commit showed that Fran can spot unrecognized and un-offered talent.

During year 2: Fran secured a top 50 commit, a top 100 commit, and he brought in under the radar talent in Clemmons, Ingram and Meyers. One is already looking to be successful, the other 2 the jury is out on.

During year 3: Fran wrapped up a kid that is just ooozing with talent. Coming back from an injury, Fran struck while he could, and got the kid to commit. I think this signing will also show that Fran knows what he is doing, as Jok will be a difference maker, and he was the first major program to step up and offer after the injury.

It is way to early to really know how good a of an eye for talent that Fran has. Yet early evidence is indicating with Basabe, White and Clemons that he certainly might be very, very good at spotting under the radar talent. Just because a kid doesn't blow up his Fr year, doesn't mean they won't be very good players as So, Jr, or Sr.

And didn't we hear repeatedly here that Year 3 kid hated Iowa and would never be a hawk?

My concern is that the Iowa basketball staff is to close to the Iowa football staff. Ferentz promised an exciting wide open offense when he was hired, and he has probably the most boring offensive package in college football. Fran seems to be concentrating mostly on defense and has said the offense will score enough points. I thought the basketball team played a pretty good defensive game, but it was amost as boring as the football games since Norm Parker got sick. Fran hasn't probably recruited the high quality athlete he needs to run his offenses efficiently or they don't have the experience yet. The basketball is still more exciting to watch under Fran than under Lickliter. The game against Purdue reminded me of when Alford was the coach.[/QUOT

We've come a long way from passing the ball around then throwing up a desperation 3 to beat the shot clock. I think Woody is the only guy we have brought in that might not fit the system. But when you can get a 7' top 40 guy you don't pass him up.

Latest posts