Pollard's Spin is Comical...

I found it interesting that the final 5 didn't agree to sign over the money from Nebraska and Colorado to Texas, OU, & Texas A&M that Beebe said in his press conference. But rather part of the revenue those 2 normally recieved would be earmarked to bring those 3 back into the fold.

I found it interesting that the final 5 didn't agree to sign over the money from Nebraska and Colorado to Texas, OU, & Texas A&M that Beebe said in his press conference. But rather part of the revenue those 2 normally recieved would be earmarked to bring those 3 back into the fold.

I got the feeling that Iowa State and some of the others sold their soul to the big guys in order to save the conference. Texas and Okla get richer and they don't gain, but also don't lose it all like they felt was happening.

oh, but I do applaud ISU for the situation if I understood it correctly. ISU & Kansas together approached Beebe with this idea before brining in the other 3 ADs.

Since Kansas is the most relievent and strongest of the final 5 I doubt they would go to ISU to approach Beebe. But if the idea came out of Ames getting KU on your side before approaching Beebe would be a big benifit greatly.

I didn't like that we kept hearing how this is going to bring more money to the schools, but when questioned about dollars and sense, it became a game of Tron motorcycles and we never heard any hard numbers...just "well, we won't reeeally know that until after the year is complete"...but apparently, absorbing CU and Nebby's share is going to raise billions of dollars...(over exaggeration intended, Clone fans)

I got the feeling that Iowa State and some of the others sold their soul to the big guys in order to save the conference. Texas and Okla get richer and they don't gain, but also don't lose it all like they felt was happening.

definately. I could still come back to bite them. but they were going to have to take a big risk if they wanted it to stay together.

Only thing I've heard money wise is that TEXAS stands to bring in between 22-25 mil per year. Nothing about what the other nine schools will bring in.

ISU walks away 10 million bucks a year richer...plus a couple million from the departing schools comes their way. Honestly, the ISU athletic department just took a quantum leap forward. If that means Texas gets more money...who cares, good for them. My concern is strengthening ISU, and that kind of revenue increase will make ISU's AD department dramatically stronger. Its really that simple...there's just no real downside for ISU, at least nothing that didn't already exist as problematic.

Last edited:
I've been at work all day, so I've just heard alittle bit, but what I understand about this new deal it's like this video. The two guys at the end represent Texas schools, Ok., Ok.st. The rest represent all the members of the former Big12 North.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGP-eIvAa0&feature=related]YouTube - Nut Shots[/ame]

Last edited:
ISU walks away 10 million bucks a year richer...plus a couple million from the departing schools comes their way. Honestly, the ISU athletic department just took a quantum leap forward. If that means Texas gets more money...who cares, good for them. My concern is strengthening ISU, and that kind of revenue increase will make ISU's AD department dramatically stronger. Its really that simple...there's just no real downside for ISU, at least nothing that didn't already exist as problematic.

Is that 10 million real money or future tv money coming from a contract that has yet to be created? Thought I read at lunch that there really is no tv contract, just basing the numbers off the potential for a new contract.

Don't fall under the impression that anything was saved, or that anything changed. Nothing changed, as Tejas still got everything they wanted, along with the lions share of the money. There is no new TV contract at the present time, Beebe said so himself today. Smarter people than I are wondering where all this money is going to come from with the Big12-2 losing the Denver market, and a national program like Nebraska.

In two years, we'll all be having this discussion again.

Serious question --how did you figure that 10 million and when/where is it coming from? I could have missed something in this so I would appreciate your input.

Serious question --how did you figure that 10 million and when/where is it coming from? I could have missed something in this so I would appreciate your input.

Beebe was seen entering a Wal-Mart in KC and leaving with 20 carts full of monopoly games. When asked about it he replied no comment.

Dont forget to subract whatever money you are making from your in stadium advertising and radio contracts. Link courtesy of silvanthalas Promise Of FSN Extension, ESPN Stability Helps Big 12 Stay Intact
As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage

Beebe claimed that the members would all get at least 17 million per year up from the 7-10 million right now. But the 2 million Mesaclone is talking about getting from Nebraska and Colorado was supposedly handed over to Texas and their cronies. So don't be counting on that. Again, I think this $17M figure is inflated, but it could (should) mean more money for ISU its just hard to say how much more. But this type of deal ensures that the competetive imbalance that currently exists in the Big12 will continue, so I'm not sure I'd be nearly as excited if I were a clone fan as Mesaclone is.

What network is going to give up that kind of money (14 to 17 mil. each) when the big fish (Texas) has it's own TV network?

What network is going to give up that kind of money (14 to 17 mil. each) when the big fish (Texas) has it's own TV network?

That's the 64,000 dollar question that everyone has been asking. It can't be ESPN, as they probably wouldn't have hung their own people out to dry if they were close to pulling the trigger on a new deal.

Right now, it's no one.

That's the 64,000 dollar question that everyone has been asking. It can't be ESPN, as they probably wouldn't have hung their own people out to dry if they were close to pulling the trigger on a new deal.

Right now, it's no one.

This is the exact question which puzzles me. If Texas goes solo -- what profit making organization is going to pay 100 million dollars for rights to the other 9 teams games? Seriously this piece just defies rationality for me. Someone help me to understand how any reasonable person thinks this is going to really work.

This is the exact question which puzzles me. If Texas goes solo -- what profit making organization is going to pay 100 million dollars for rights to the other 9 teams games? Seriously this piece just defies rationality for me. Someone help me to understand how any reasonable person thinks this is going to really work.

Another question that the drive-time shows brought up is that after UT/OU in October, what marquee games is the new Big 12 going to have?

Latest posts