Pollard's Spin is Comical...

Is anyone reading the threads? This deal would have to include radio and in stadium advertising. As was posted in a different thread, IOWA receives an additional $5.5 Million/year for their Learfield Sports contract. Now assume the Big 12 average is the same of $5.5million per year (ISU, KSU, Baylor less, Texas possibly OU more)that means you could technically subtract this revenue ($55million) from the deal and you end up with roughly $100 million. Texas would get $25, OU & A&M $20 each. That adds up to $65. Subtract $65 from $100 and you get $35 to be split by 7 schools. This would take you right back to the $5 million they were making already...

It's real simple. ISU and the other 6 schools are subsidizing a product in Texas that doesn't need subsidized. Talk about taking it in the rear! Wow! They are just giving Texas money and as Steve Deace spelled out this morning, ultimately ISU isn't gaining anything and now inherit a tougher schedule to boot. Ouch! They will be the ultimate bottom feeder in that conference. Think about it. Essentially what the 3 schools (Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M) are saying to the rest of the league is, "Were better than you and we are only keeping you around to fill out the schedule and pick up easy wins....And these schools are going along with it. What moron's! This league will not last. You have to admire the Big Ten for giving an equal cut across the board. That's why it's the superior conference, it knows how to conduct business.

Is anyone reading the threads? This deal would have to include radio and in stadium advertising. As was posted in a different thread, IOWA receives an additional $5.5 Million/year for their Learfield Sports contract. Now assume the Big 12 average is the same of $5.5million per year (ISU, KSU, Baylor less, Texas possibly OU more)that means you could technically subtract this revenue ($55million) from the deal and you end up with roughly $100 million. Texas would get $25, OU & A&M $20 each. That adds up to $65. Subtract $65 from $100 and you get $35 to be split by 7 schools. This would take you right back to the $5 million they were making already...

I think you are technically correct here but you are leaving out the ESPN contract that already exists. I believe that each school gets a split of each appearance fee. I think the value of the current ESPN contract is 60 million. So if ISU is on ESPN/ABC they would get a decent chunk of change also. So in 2012 the total value of their TV deal may be 160 million to be spit however their formula works. I could be completely wrong about this. Can anyone recall an ISU Big 12 game on ESPN?

I think you are technically correct here but you are leaving out the ESPN contract that already exists. I believe that each school gets a split of each appearance fee. I think the value of the current ESPN contract is 60 million. So if ISU is on ESPN/ABC they would get a decent chunk of change also. So in 2012 the total value of their TV deal may be 160 million to be spit however their formula works. I could be completely wrong about this. Can anyone recall an ISU Big 12 game on ESPN?

That last ISU game on ESPN that I can recall was their game against Iowa in 2006. The Iowa/ISU game was ABC in 2005, and will be again this year.

ISU walks away 10 million bucks a year richer...plus a couple million from the departing schools comes their way. Honestly, the ISU athletic department just took a quantum leap forward. If that means Texas gets more money...who cares, good for them. My concern is strengthening ISU, and that kind of revenue increase will make ISU's AD department dramatically stronger. Its really that simple...there's just no real downside for ISU, at least nothing that didn't already exist as problematic.

You don't come across that depth of denial every day, folks.

Cherish it.

I didn't figure out where the 10 million extra dollars is coming from, the conference commissioner Beebe did. That is what is being offered through Fox...ISU's share will be in the vicinity of 14-17 million...Texas will likely be in the 20-24 million ranged based on more appearances on TV. This is the offer that enticed the big schools back to the conference...once that deal is inked it will be available for all of us to read in detail.

And the clarification on the money from NU and CU is that the big schools who were considering going to the Pac 10 will get an increased portion of that money to compensate for any increase they might have received via the Pac 10. It is not correct that all that money is going to the big schools...the commissioner acknowledged that he misspoke on that point.

I didn't figure out where the 10 million extra dollars is coming from, the conference commissioner Beebe did. That is what is being offered through Fox...ISU's share will be in the vicinity of 14-17 million...Texas will likely be in the 20-24 million ranged based on more appearances on TV. This is the offer that enticed the big schools back to the conference...once that deal is inked it will be available for all of us to read in detail.

Do you realize that there is no TV deal yet? Do you realize that there might not be a new tv deal for a few years?

As of right now there isnt an extra $10 million. You understand that right? Right?

I actually am a big fan of Pollard. I took this picture of him at today's press conference. He was really glowing!

douchebag1.jpg

Do you realize that there is no TV deal yet? Do you realize that there might not be a new tv deal for a few years?

As of right now there isnt an extra $10 million. You understand that right? Right?

Apparently not. I think the hammer will fall in 3 years, though.

And the clarification on the money from NU and CU is that the big schools who were considering going to the Pac 10 will get an increased portion of that money to compensate for any increase they might have received via the Pac 10. It is not correct that all that money is going to the big schools...the commissioner acknowledged that he misspoke on that point.

Mesa, your a smart guy. You don't actually believe this from Beebe do you? If there was that kind of money sitting there for the Big12, why wait til you lose 2 teams, and are close to collapsing as a conference? I don't buy these numbers at all, and he even said himself that it would be FUTURE contracts, not going to have any extra money coming in soon......

This conference is still going to be in for a rough ride. If I had to make a prediction I would say in 3-5 years Texas will be going independent if their network is up and going. If that is the cash cow they think it will be, add in playing 4-5 games on ABC/ESPN a year, plus a BCS game, and they get to keep ALL of the loot.....I really think this is what they will be looking at in the future.

Mesa, your a smart guy. You don't actually believe this from Beebe do you? If there was that kind of money sitting there for the Big12, why wait til you lose 2 teams, and are close to collapsing as a conference? I don't buy these numbers at all, and he even said himself that it would be FUTURE contracts, not going to have any extra money coming in soon......

This conference is still going to be in for a rough ride. If I had to make a prediction I would say in 3-5 years Texas will be going independent if their network is up and going. If that is the cash cow they think it will be, add in playing 4-5 games on ABC/ESPN a year, plus a BCS game, and they get to keep ALL of the loot.....I really think this is what they will be looking at in the future.

Truly. I'm not a state-hater so I actually feel bad for them over this. I hope they realize what's really going on here:
-Beebe did nothing but preserve his job for one more year
-Texas is using the rest of the league to subsidize it while it builds up its TV network
-The league will not survive another 2 years
-There will be no additional $10M realized

If I were ISU, I would get out now.

A potential Longhorn Network would only make 3-5 mil per year according to Texas' estimates, hardly a cash cow. Plus that would not get Texas much in the way of national exposure as few cable systems would carry this and Dish Network almost certainly wouldn't. Texas wants/needs the national exposure that comes with network tv deals through ESPN and Fox. This new contract would come from Fox which put in a very solid bid and lost on the ACC renewal. They will strike a deal with the Big 12, that I am sure of I just don't buy the $17M price tag per school.

My best guess on the Longhorn network is they would get rights to any game not picked up by ESPN or Fox and would get rights to possibly rebroadcast games on the Network. You may also see them pickup some road games against lesser (particularly in state) teams, i.e. Rice. This isn't going to be like the Big Ten Network in football. Do you realize schools like Nebraska and Texas still resort to pay per view games each year? $30 to watch Nebraska play the likes of Ball St, same for Texas etc. The Longhorn Network would replace those types of games. The don't want OU/Texas on the Longhorn Network, they want that on ABC/ESPN.

Latest posts