Poll: Same ol' 4-3 to start, or something else?

Against PSU, I think we'd all agree "same ol" won't work, but WILL they start w/ something else?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters

hawkeyes87

I'm not asking SHOULD they do something else. Do you think they WILL start w/ something else?

SOP is usually "same ol'" until the opponent gets a lead, then think about mixing it up.

So, I vote No- they won't start w/ something else.

EDIT: Yes, I see that the "inside" question is phrased differently than the thread title, making it confusing. Sorry!

Last edited:
High level of skilled defensive players leads to one on one coverage and rushing more guys in on the QB. While limited skilled defensive players leads to four man fronts and zone defenses to stealth a lack of skills and high level capabilities. Same ole, same ole conservative defense. Why not just spot their offense on our 25 yard line and then play defense at that point............................. should sound familiar?

Our base 4-3 Will be necessary to hope to stop the PSU run game. Ben will probably key on PSU TE. He is the only one fast enough and big enough to cover him. Bower covering Barkley in the flats is what scares me. I think we will see the return of the raider package on passing downs. Back end converge is also going to be huge this game.

I'm guessing we'll certainly start in the 4-3, just to get a feel for what they are doing. But I expect to see a decent amount of nickel with OJ subbing in for Bower quite a bit in order to get more speed on the field to account for Barkley going out on wheel routes and screens. Our CBs have always been good tacklers, so I don't think we'll lose a whole lot in run support.

adapting is key, but I am 150% sure that all 3 LBs and 4 DL will be on the field for the first 2 plays at least.

Latest posts