Podolak Done with Game Color Commentary

This is precisely why I think he'd be the second coming. Ed always has something to say (when he's not speechless).
I scratch my head a lot when he contributes.
But I also love him.

Another guy that I think could do it well is Ricky Stanzi. I'd love to hear Drew Tate, but he might get a little too colorful. :D

Yeah they have a big place on 3 or 4 hundred acres between Livermore and Humboldt. A guy I work with is friends with his family somehow.
Talk about middle of nowhere. My hometown of Quimby isn't terribly far from there and it's nowheresville USA Wonder if he's chummy with Adam Timmerman at all he lives just south of Cherokee about 4 miles off hwy 59.

Didn't Clark come to a bunch of games recently? I know he came to multiple womens hoops games. He doesn't seem to have a problem getting to Iowa city often he may as well get paid to do it sometimes and have fun.

I think it's definitely a 'brain' thing. It either works one way or the other. There's a few real talented people who can do both. Algebra vs. geometry.

Part of my problem is, I never played the sports I tried to do color for. But, even then, I just wasn't comfortable. Not knowing when to crack the mic. Or when there was an opportunity I'd scramble for anything to say. You gotta know the sport pretty well, the culture, the team, the game....to do color. I don't know it at that level. Even then, I still sucked. The PBP guy I worked with on those two occasions was an amateur, but also one of the best talents I ever saw in PBP. I figured the less of me, the better.

But, I can tell a curve from a fastball....or describe the action on a hockey rink....or name the football play that's being run. And describe who's doing what. That's fairly binary for me. 0s and 1s. And, if it's radio, you can just sorta be wrong about a lot and nobody's any the wiser. Even then, I was really on serviceable. I didn't do it all that much. I suppose I could have gotten better. Color was just that. Color. And my palette is pretty bleak.

Yet, oddly....my experience in the studio on say morning shows and stuff where I was usually the 'straightman'....it was the same exact nature as color. But, we weren't necessarily talking about sports. It could be anything so I was OK there. I usually interacted with the hosts on air like I did IRL. Just shooting the sh#t. Or it was a pretty pre-planned bit.
I just did high school baseball games for local radio maybe a dozen times over a couple years. Helped out when the regular guy couldn't do it. Loved it to be honest. I played up through college, umpired middle school through NAIA level, and coached youth through high school so it was basically like making conversation during the game. With baseball a lot of it is just predicting what you think will happen, explaining what did happen, and general casual conversation about what players/coaches need to do or should do...and most of it is after the fact. Which was fairly easy for me having a ton of exposure for so long. I also did no technical operation or setup, etc...I know nothing about that. All I knew to do was put headphones on and where the mute button was. That stuff is a talent I don't have and my brain doesn't work fast enough to do play by play. How those guys spit out player names, numbers is beyond me, and basketball pbp has to be the 2nd hardest thing to do in sports after hitting a baseball :) Thos basketball guys are insane.

Of the names tossed around, Paul Burmeister easily would be the most polished. I think he's more TV focused, though. Last I heard, he was with the NFL Network, but too lazy to look up what he's doing right now.

I'd lean towards someone who brings some personality to it, and is willing to commit long-term. I agree with Fry, fans gravitate towards consistency for announcers. That nostalgia carries a lot of weight.

Paul B has a full-time for NBC and is the play by play voice for Notre Dame football on radio. He would have to switch from the PBP to color chair if he made the switch. The Iowa radio gig is part-time, which makes it tricky for guys like Paul and Anthony. I think it would be easier for Herron to fit it in his schedule than Paul. Either way, it's going to take creativity in bringing in someone with a full-time broadcasting gig right now.

Paul B has a full-time for NBC and is the play by play voice for Notre Dame football on radio. He would have to switch from the PBP to color chair if he made the switch. The Iowa radio gig is part-time, which makes it tricky for guys like Paul and Anthony. I think it would be easier for Herron to fit it in his schedule than Paul. Either way, it's going to take creativity in bringing in someone with a full-time broadcasting gig right now.
I could see Paul maybe going for Dolphs job but not color. But I can't remember if Paul does any hoops though...

Chris Hassel is a name I think would be great at being the 'voice' for Hawkeye sports but I'm not so sure he'd want it with the great gig he's got. I think he's living in FL and has a pretty good thing going.

I could see Paul maybe going for Dolphs job but not color. But I can't remember if Paul does any hoops though...

Chris Hassel is a name I think would be great at being the 'voice' for Hawkeye sports but I'm not so sure he'd want it with the great gig he's got. I think he's living in FL and has a pretty good thing going.
What does basketball have anything to do with this? That’s completely irrelevant as iowa is good there

What does basketball have anything to do with this? That’s completely irrelevant as iowa is good there
You didn't know Dolph does pbp for both football and hoops? I was talking about Dolph not Eddie P. Dolph isn't gonna be around much longer either.

You didn't know Dolph does pbp for both football and hoops? I was talking about Dolph not Eddie P. Dolph isn't gonna be around much longer either.
I’m fully aware. There isn’t a pbp opening in either sport so Dolphin has nothing to do with this either

I’m fully aware. There isn’t a pbp opening in either sport so Dolphin has nothing to do with this either
Dude. I brought Dolph into the convo with the context being that I think Paul Burmeister would much rather go for his jobs then Eddies. Others had brought up Burmeister maybe being up for Eddies job. This all makes sense to have brought up. Not that I'm right hell maybe Paul would go for Eddies job instead but I just really doubt it. And whomever the next voice of the Iowa Hawkeyes ends up being they'll be doing double duty of both Football and Basketball.

And what are you insinuating that Dolph would retire from one and not the other? Cause I don't think he'd do that. I don't think his contract would even let him as it sits.

This is a message board. 99% of what's done on here just about is speculating about what player/coach whomever the person is that's brought up is going to be doing next. I guess I don't understand your defensiveness with Dolph being brought up.