Please Change Uniforms

Skyhawk

The current ones are ugly, especially the gold and white ones, and remind me of Lick.

Please bring on a new look...for a new era!

I agree - the current unis are to busy. I really liked the look of the ones before (alford era). They were clean and simple. But I do like the look of the black unis. The black numbers outlined in gold is a nice look.

I'm sure that Nike gives them some options. But I'll guarantee that we don't get the options that oregon does..

PLEASE get new unis...I think of these like the banana peel uniforms of the mid 90s for football....

Seriously guys, I don't care if they play shirts vs skins, I just want some wins. It would be nice to see some glorious flower boxes draped over the top of the railing along the concourse at CHA, though.:D

Iowa can change the uniforms. If there is any design that Nike currently has with another team, it is not hard to do. Nike just needs enough notice to get them made and stop production on the current uniforms so they don't have excess jersey's laying around that they can't sell to retailers.
The reason I know is, is that I used to work for a local retailer for 5 years and worked with the Nike Apparel reps directly buying collegiate product. Being I don't see a ton of kids wearing them, I would bet Nike does not have a lot at their warehouses.
Look at how quickly Alford got new one's in here. Finally, it is an expense that the University has to take on as well. I also believe that if the Fran really wanted it, the University would do it.
Take it for what it's worth.

Considering that uniforms debuted just over a year ago, Nike will probably have quite a bit to say about it.

Do we have a contract with them or something? Otherwise, how do they dictate what jerseys our team wears?

I agree with some others.. The unis we wore the first year or two of the Alford era were good, but my favorites are the late 80's look. Most of the stuff from the 90's was tolerable too.

The current Nike stuff is too busy for my taste. Sometimes less = more.

Iowa can change the uniforms. If there is any design that Nike currently has with another team, it is not hard to do. Nike just needs enough notice to get them made and stop production on the current uniforms so they don't have excess jersey's laying around that they can't sell to retailers.
The reason I know is, is that I used to work for a local retailer for 5 years and worked with the Nike Apparel reps directly buying collegiate product. Being I don't see a ton of kids wearing them, I would bet Nike does not have a lot at their warehouses.
Look at how quickly Alford got new one's in here. Finally, it is an expense that the University has to take on as well. I also believe that if the Fran really wanted it, the University would do it.
Take it for what it's worth.

did you just make up his nickname? THE FRAN....in gold on black shirt. simple and I'll buy one or six.

Yes, Iowa has a contract with Nike. Nike has different levels at which they make your Universities apparel for fan purchasing and team practice gear. Iowa has a lot more gear available to their fans and in more colors and availability than ISU and way more than UNI...but not as much as USC or Texas (this was the last I knew and that has been almost 2 years).

USC/Texas/Florida = Nike Elite
Iowa = Nike Tier 1
ISU = is either Tier 1 or 2..I forget
UNI = just a Nike team that they get some product and limited practice gear from Nike.

When Alford got in here he set Iowa up with Nike pretty well, while Nike at the same time was trying to get every college under the sun on a contract with them. Then the Football team exploded and that helped retail sales and all of a sudden you can get Iowa Nike product in just about anything they make.

Yes, Iowa has a contract with Nike. Nike has different levels at which they make your Universities apparel for fan purchasing and team practice gear. Iowa has a lot more gear available to their fans and in more colors and availability than ISU and way more than UNI...but not as much as USC or Texas (this was the last I knew and that has been almost 2 years).

USC/Texas/Florida = Nike Elite
Iowa = Nike Tier 1
ISU = is either Tier 1 or 2..I forget
UNI = just a Nike team that they get some product and limited practice gear from Nike.

When Alford got in here he set Iowa up with Nike pretty well, while Nike at the same time was trying to get every college under the sun on a contract with them. Then the Football team exploded and that helped retail sales and all of a sudden you can get Iowa Nike product in just about anything they make.

Thanks for the info. How much control does Iowa have over the design of the jerseys?

did you just make up his nickname? THE FRAN....in gold on black shirt. simple and I'll buy one or six.

Sorry, "the Fran" was a typo. Also, I no longer work in retail anymore. Been out of it for a couple of years. However, the retailer is pretty big and their staff would prolly listen, especially if they think they can sell a few ;)

Thanks for the info. How much control does Iowa have over the design of the jerseys?

That is a great question. I haven't worked in that type of retail for a couple of years, but that is where Iowa would have to look at the "current" Nike designs that other teams have and probably pick from there.
Nike can suggest, but I do not think they would do a total overhaul on a new design just for Iowa. They would have to have a lot of other teams choose the new style as well so they could mass produce these for retail (look at Purdue's and West Virginia's black jersey's and our's. Same base material, just different colored trim and embroidery).

Latest posts