Playoff/Iowa

sure,there will be sponsors and more money involved than ever before. Nothing is going stop that from happening. There is too much money to be made with College Football, and there is no going back to once tradition rich bowl system we enjoyed years ago.

This is a good thing. Our chances of playing for he NC just increased slightly. And in 10-20 years they'll to to an 8 teamer which will increase it slightly more. Think people.

Along with "our" chances of not playing in the post season. Once they stretch the playoffs to 8 teams the bowls will be dead.

Along with "our" chances of not playing in the post season. Once they stretch the playoffs to 8 teams the bowls will be dead.

and then it will be..."We didn't make the playoffs....fire the coach!!" and it will be NFL 2.0....

I'm honestly more upset about the Rose Bowl....I really just want to see Iowa in Rose Bowls....they can have their national title game....I want to see the BIG champ in Pasadena EVERY year. That's why we should have done a Plus one.

Maybe if we aren't so desperate to get to 6 wins no matter what-- and maybe if we know we have to have a really strong profile to get into an eight team playoff-- we might actually start scheduling some real non-conference games. If you're telling me we have to sacrifice a trip to Arizona or Florida in January, but we add two home-and-homes with non-Iowa State BCS schools (let's just say, for argument's sake, Georgia Tech and UCLA) every year, plus the home and home with Iowa State, plus a yearly game at Soldier Field, plus a possible trip to the Big Ten title game if we earn it, plus we get a shot to compete for a title if we have a good year? Sign me up.

and then it will be..."We didn't make the playoffs....fire the coach!!" and it will be NFL 2.0....

I'm honestly more upset about the Rose Bowl....I really just want to see Iowa in Rose Bowls....they can have their national title game....I want to see the BIG champ in Pasadena EVERY year. That's why we should have done a Plus one.

But that battle was fought and lost in 1998, and we've gotten screwed twice by the outcome in different ways. I think as fans we have to move on.

Maybe if we aren't so desperate to get to 6 wins no matter what-- and maybe if we know we have to have a really strong profile to get into an eight team playoff-- we might actually start scheduling some real non-conference games. If you're telling me we have to sacrifice a trip to Arizona or Florida in January, but we add two home-and-homes with non-Iowa State BCS schools (let's just say, for argument's sake, Georgia Tech and UCLA) every year, plus the home and home with Iowa State, plus a yearly game at Soldier Field, plus a possible trip to the Big Ten title game if we earn it, plus we get a shot to compete for a title if we have a good year? Sign me up.

That's a joke....you still need to be undefeated....you CANNOT afford to schedule like that under any current proposal.

Agree 100%!

A couple of years ago when a bunch of people was hoping for a title shot I was happy to just get back to the Rose Bowl. Yeah a national championship would be pretty cool but if we can't have that can we at least get a Rose Bowl bid once in a while?

That's a joke....you still need to be undefeated....you CANNOT afford to schedule like that under any current proposal.

Re-read the thread-- I'm talking about an 8-team playoff scenario with no bowl games as a fallback.

And just for comparison sake, LSU played at West Virginia and vs. Oregon in Dallas last year, in addition to their SEC schedule. USC played Minnesota, Utah, Notre Dame, and Syracuse-- no non-BCS schools. We're playing Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Iowa State, and Northern Iowa this year. Ballsy. But we'll be bowl eligible!!!

My opinion:

If the way the NCAA has done their football was the best way, some other league would have tried to copy their system. None have, not the NFL, not other colleges, not any high schools.

Currently a team is crowned with a national title on who they "think" is the best. Someone earlier stated South Carolina and Boise weren't worthy of playing with LSU and Alabama. Same was said about Boise when they played Oklahoma a few years ago, that they didn't belong. Our preconceived notions of who is great are so ingrained that most of us will always believe the football schools must be better than teams that get that once in a century team. That team doesn't have a chance in the current college football world.

I think there are some myths about the current NCAA system: 1) that every game matters. In actuality, very few do. Once 90% of the teams lose a game, the rest don't matter unless they have a chance to pull an upset on the 4-5 top teams. Some teams whole season "doesn't matter" because they have no chance to play in the BCS championship even if they are undefeated. Most of the bowls "don't matter" either. Except that we all like our teams, and if our team is playing, it matters to us, regardless of what has happened in previous games. 2) The college football regular season is great because it is football, not because of the way they run their post season. NFL regular season is better than NBA, High school regular season is better that HS basketball. America loves football right now. Also, their are less games, making each one more important just because there are fewer to watch. We love football, that is why Monday Night Football is an institution. Super Bowl Sunday is nearly a national holiday. Fantasy Football is wildly popular. You can watch football nearly every night on ESPN (and i do). The NCAA regular season is great because its football, played with the passion of college kids and followed by passionate fans. It will continue to be popular with a 4-team, or an 8-team playoff.

100 years of tradition of college football isn't enough for me. I'm glad football has evolved and continues to. Army and Navy are not longer powers. Arkansas-Texas is no longer a conference game. The Big 10 doesn't have 10 teams, or 11. Nebraska no long plays Oklahoma in the last game of the regular season. College football is still wildly popular. Things change, new rivalries emerge, old ones fade and become stories of football's past (which are great to have too).

I guess I am too young to be so enamored with the Rose Bowl. I can slightly remember them playing UCLA and Washington in the most recent Rose Bowls. I know not everyone thinks this, but I tend to remember great Iowa games by the game, and not the stadium in which they were played. See Claiborne dominate GT's option offense, Tate to Holloway, Long's bootleg, Iowa 12 Michigan 10, Clark's TD vs Purdue, The kick to beat PSU, and Iowa's 2002 win at Michigan in dominating fashion.

I am in favor of the 4 team playoff, and will be in favor of the 8 team playoff. I'll watch every game and probable every bowl game they keep as well. I'll watch because I love football, and if Iowa is playing I'll plan my day around the game.

Go Hawks, see you in Chicago in 67 days.

My opinion:

If the way the NCAA has done their football was the best way, some other league would have tried to copy their system. None have, not the NFL, not other colleges, not any high schools.

Currently a team is crowned with a national title on who they "think" is the best. Someone earlier stated South Carolina and Boise weren't worthy of playing with LSU and Alabama. Same was said about Boise when they played Oklahoma a few years ago, that they didn't belong. Our preconceived notions of who is great are so ingrained that most of us will always believe the football schools must be better than teams that get that once in a century team. That team doesn't have a chance in the current college football world.

I think there are some myths about the current NCAA system: 1) that every game matters. In actuality, very few do. Once 90% of the teams lose a game, the rest don't matter unless they have a chance to pull an upset on the 4-5 top teams. Some teams whole season "doesn't matter" because they have no chance to play in the BCS championship even if they are undefeated. Most of the bowls "don't matter" either. Except that we all like our teams, and if our team is playing, it matters to us, regardless of what has happened in previous games. 2) The college football regular season is great because it is football, not because of the way they run their post season. NFL regular season is better than NBA, High school regular season is better that HS basketball. America loves football right now. Also, their are less games, making each one more important just because there are fewer to watch. We love football, that is why Monday Night Football is an institution. Super Bowl Sunday is nearly a national holiday. Fantasy Football is wildly popular. You can watch football nearly every night on ESPN (and i do). The NCAA regular season is great because its football, played with the passion of college kids and followed by passionate fans. It will continue to be popular with a 4-team, or an 8-team playoff.

100 years of tradition of college football isn't enough for me. I'm glad football has evolved and continues to. Army and Navy are not longer powers. Arkansas-Texas is no longer a conference game. The Big 10 doesn't have 10 teams, or 11. Nebraska no long plays Oklahoma in the last game of the regular season. College football is still wildly popular. Things change, new rivalries emerge, old ones fade and become stories of football's past (which are great to have too).

I guess I am too young to be so enamored with the Rose Bowl. I can slightly remember them playing UCLA and Washington in the most recent Rose Bowls. I know not everyone thinks this, but I tend to remember great Iowa games by the game, and not the stadium in which they were played. See Claiborne dominate GT's option offense, Tate to Holloway, Long's bootleg, Iowa 12 Michigan 10, Clark's TD vs Purdue, The kick to beat PSU, and Iowa's 2002 win at Michigan in dominating fashion.

I am in favor of the 4 team playoff, and will be in favor of the 8 team playoff. I'll watch every game and probable every bowl game they keep as well. I'll watch because I love football, and if Iowa is playing I'll plan my day around the game.

Great post, JadedHawk. I disagree about the Rose Bowl thing, but I've also managed to let it go, especially in the post-1998 world in which the Big Ten champion isn't guaranteed a spot there anyway. Everything else you write is spot-on.

My opinion:

The Rose Bowl is different....It's not just a football game

Great post, JadedHawk. I disagree about the Rose Bowl thing, but I've also managed to let it go, especially in the post-1998 world in which the Big Ten champion isn't guaranteed a spot there anyway. Everything else you write is spot-on.

Post-1998 sucks. Their ruining of football started back then.

College Basketball

That is the usual suspect, but they also choose 68 teams. After that, you have 6 games to win and earn your title. It's not like choosing 2 or 4 teams, and you have one or 2 games to win. What you did in the regular season matters, but once the tournament starts, you have to beat Butler or VCU or Kansas State to advance. College basketball's committee has to answer questions about teams 65, 66, 67 and 68, not 3 and 4.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times...you can't make this work with 119 teams, 11 conferences and a handful of independents over a 12 game schedule.

The keep trying to address this problem at the back end when the underlying issue is really what needs addressed. It's time to break D1 up into two divisions.

I agree with you in a sense. I think college football should be split if you have teams and conferences that really don't matter, but I think it can be addressed. It won't ever be addressed because of the money involved. And if they aren't going to address it, then IMO, they need to figure out a way to involve all DI programs. The wonderful society that is college football will never change unless they figure that out. It will continue to be about the 10% of college football that has all the power.

On a side note, if they ever go to 4, 16 team conferences, I believe you will see the split of DI football at that time.

The stupid thing about this is that Preseason polls are going to matter. It's going to matter where you start out in the polls at the beginning of the season. If you aren't in the top 25 or in the top 50 yet someone stays steady at the number 4 seed, yet you have the same record as they do, same quality of wins and losses. They will be ranked ahead of you because they were always ahead of you.

Polls will mattter more then ever in the playoff system.

Playoffs aren't the answer and people will soon realize this once it goes into effect.

I wish people actually took time to think about this thread. You have the same people complaining about how bad the current post season is, but also saying they love the regular season.

The reason College Football's regular season is so special and each weekend draws so much attention from fans...is because it matters. Soon as a playoff is put in place, the regular season starts to dwindle. It will not stay at 4 teams. I hate the idea of having college football turned into something just like the NFL.

I enjoy watching the NFL and the playoffs, because its football. However, College Football has the most intriguing, fun and appealing regular season of any sport, before we even get to the tradition which surrounds the sport and its teams. Ruining that, all for espn's will to see a playoff become reality?

If you really wanted Iowa to win a NC, scrape the whole thing and go back to voting after the bowls. Split titles mean a greater chance at winning it all.

The Rose Bowl is a just a game, and up until 98, it had been insignificant for over 20 years, for the most part. It's tradition is highly over rated.

Don't be bitter just because you got smoked by Miami in the Rose Bowl. You didn't even deserve to be on the field with them so you should have just been grateful for the opportunity.

The stupid thing about this is that Preseason polls are going to matter. It's going to matter where you start out in the polls at the beginning of the season. If you aren't in the top 25 or in the top 50 yet someone stays steady at the number 4 seed, yet you have the same record as they do, same quality of wins and losses. They will be ranked ahead of you because they were always ahead of you.

Really? I'm trying to think of a team that had a truly elite season but was prevented from climbing into the top four because of a poor preseason ranking. Examples? Maybe one of the great Boise State seasons?

Latest posts