Playoff/Iowa

No matter what happens, The Rose Bowl is not going away. Delaney wont let that happen. Again, not sure how this new playoff thing hurts Iowa....

Totally agree. The positives of a playoff of any flavor for an Iowa football fan are far outweighed by the negatives.

Positives:
1. Maybe a few more dollars to the athletic dept...but the Big Ten is already awash in money and this will only narrow the gap between the Power leagues and the great unwashed.

Negatives: where do I start?

1. This robs the Big Ten of the #2 asset in college football,every single year,the Rose Bowl. Even forgetting the sentimental factor, the dollars from the Rose Bowl give the Big Ten and Pac 12 a financial edge over the rest of the conferences...gone.

2. Tradition is the lifeblood of college football. No other sport is as steeped in nostalgia,socialbility,camardrie, ect... going to college football games is a true experience,all day. No other sporting event matches it. This playoff strips away more of the tradition(see Rose Bowl),romance,and sentiment. Becomes even more of a hard,cold-blooded business. Make the playoffs,or fire everyone...that will be the new standard as the playoff grows.

3. Playoffs will further stratify the sport. The talent is in the SE,SW and West Coast anyway. Now, with the same schools,mainly from those areas, in the playoffs year after year,they will separate themselves even more. Iowa need not apply. Telling a recruit that we make bowls every year used to mean something,but can it compete vs a school that makes the playoffs every other year? No way.

I could go on and on...the erosion of the best regular season in any sport,as the ratings clearly show, the exploitation of the players, the uneven playing field of the Big Ten vs the SEC in terms of school standards, ect.

I am still hoping and praying that somehow the Presidents come to their senses,(as the Nebraska President is on record supporting) and reel this back in to a Plus One.
To me, the Plus One is the best melding of the two approaches.
Still have all the traditions of the bowls seasons,including the matchups of league winners in the big bowls, which serves as a quasi-playoff,and then two teams selected as the best of the survivors.

I am convinced that the older fans in the Big Ten are against this playoff if they really think about the Rose Bowl going away.
This is driven by
1. Younger fans who have grown up on NFL playoffs...don't know better.
2. Big city media types who also have grown up on NFL playoffs,and are not grads of big time football programs schools,or been lifetime fans of a program like Iowa.
3. SEC and Big 12 fans,who see an edge for their schools in playoffs,due to local talent edge,and willingness to let anyone into school,and pay players under the table if necessary.

This 4 team playoff will not destroy the bowl system,but it leads to the path that will. The Plus One is the only possible solution that can really protect the bowl system.

As for the bowl system,I am all for cutting down on the number of bowls,and reforming the way the bowls are managed. Demand that the graft and corruption be eliminated. Reduce the overhead to schools, standardize the whole process...bring it into the sunlight. Fine....it aint perfect...but abandoning it totally would be a crime.
Screw Dan Wetzel!
I couldn't agree more with your post...but particularly this one.

This is driven by

I lamented in another thread about how bad the play had become in the NBA due mostly to how the game is now 'officiated'... I got savaged for my opinion from the young guns on the board who proclaimed my demographic doesn't matter any more. (they didn't argue my point on the officiating)the NBA is driven by the wants of the younger male demographic and they don't care about silly rules. They just want to watch Lebron be Lebron.

Anyway ,it's all entertainment and we can choose what to watch. When it's no longer entertaining..I'll find something worthwile to do with the time I have remaining.

If Iowa makes a run and goes undefeated, there's no way they don't make it into the playoffs. The playoff system does not change a thing. If anything, the playoffs cast a wider (albeit only slightly wider) net for BIG teams/iowa to make it into the Nat'l Championship. Even if Iowa loses one game during reg. season, there's still a good chance they make it into the playoffs. Regardless, Iowa and any BIG team are probably better off now in terms of making it into the playoffs b/c they only have to achieve a #4 ranking, as opposed to a #2 or #1.

Watch as the power conferences expand and go to two rounds of in-conference playoffs. Iowa will only have to win their division for a shot at the NC, because they will be in the B1G playoffs. The winner of the B1G playoffs will have beaten 2 division champs at the end of the year, that will get them seeded, unless they really do not deserve it.

1. This robs the Big Ten of the #2 asset in college football,every single year,the Rose Bowl. Even forgetting the sentimental factor, the dollars from the Rose Bowl give the Big Ten and Pac 12 a financial edge over the rest of the conferences...gone.

Actually this isn't true anymore. The Big 12/SEC bowl will earn significantly more than the Rose bowl, because they own it and will split the proceeds.

I don't get the angst. I don't want to see it go even to 8, I think there is a big difference between the top teams and the #8 team. Last year it was Boise and South Carolina. Those teams are just on a different (lower) level than the LSU's and the Bama's last year.

The seeding and picking by committee is exactly how CBB does it, and a lot of people think that's the best postseason in American sport. It'll work just fine.

Actually this isn't true anymore. The Big 12/SEC bowl will earn significantly more than the Rose bowl, because they own it and will split the proceeds.

I don't get the angst. I don't want to see it go even to 8, I think there is a big difference between the top teams and the #8 team. Last year it was Boise and South Carolina. Those teams are just on a different (lower) level than the LSU's and the Bama's last year.

The seeding and picking by committee is exactly how CBB does it, and a lot of people think that's the best postseason in American sport. It'll work just fine.

When is the Champions Bowl being played? What is the time slot?
When does the Champions Bowl parade begin? Is it going to be played in Ames? So, when this playoff is set, does the Champions Bowl become a semifinal participant like the Fiesta,Orange,Rose and Sugar? If so, the money will go into the general pot. If not, then it will rarely feature the champions of the SEC and Big 12,which makes it the Capitol One Bowl not played on New Years Day....with no tradition,or permanant site? How great will those ratings be?

I say this over and over, I do not understand why these idiots do not get their heads out of their @sses, all they need to do is go to a plus one system. Play the BCS bowl games on New Years Day and play the BCS championship game 2 weeks after. Push all the rest of the bowl games before January 1st like they used to be.

This. Only have the championship game one week later, not two.

Totally agree. The positives of a playoff of any flavor for an Iowa football fan are far outweighed by the negatives.

Positives:
1. Maybe a few more dollars to the athletic dept...but the Big Ten is already awash in money and this will only narrow the gap between the Power leagues and the great unwashed.

2. Tradition is the lifeblood of college football. No other sport is as steeped in nostalgia,socialbility,camardrie, ect... going to college football games is a true experience,all day. No other sporting event matches it. This playoff strips away more of the tradition(see Rose Bowl),romance,and sentiment. Becomes even more of a hard,cold-blooded business. Make the playoffs,or fire everyone...that will be the new standard as the playoff grows.

3. Playoffs will further stratify the sport. The talent is in the SE,SW and West Coast anyway. Now, with the same schools,mainly from those areas, in the playoffs year after year,they will separate themselves even more. Iowa need not apply. Telling a recruit that we make bowls every year used to mean something,but can it compete vs a school that makes the playoffs every other year? No way.

I could go on and on...the erosion of the best regular season in any sport,as the ratings clearly show, the exploitation of the players, the uneven playing field of the Big Ten vs the SEC in terms of school standards, ect.

I am still hoping and praying that somehow the Presidents come to their senses,(as the Nebraska President is on record supporting) and reel this back in to a Plus One.
To me, the Plus One is the best melding of the two approaches.
Still have all the traditions of the bowls seasons,including the matchups of league winners in the big bowls, which serves as a quasi-playoff,and then two teams selected as the best of the survivors.

I am convinced that the older fans in the Big Ten are against this playoff if they really think about the Rose Bowl going away.
This is driven by
2. Big city media types who also have grown up on NFL playoffs,and are not grads of big time football programs schools,or been lifetime fans of a program like Iowa.
3. SEC and Big 12 fans,who see an edge for their schools in playoffs,due to local talent edge,and willingness to let anyone into school,and pay players under the table if necessary.

This 4 team playoff will not destroy the bowl system,but it leads to the path that will. The Plus One is the only possible solution that can really protect the bowl system.

As for the bowl system,I am all for cutting down on the number of bowls,and reforming the way the bowls are managed. Demand that the graft and corruption be eliminated. Reduce the overhead to schools, standardize the whole process...bring it into the sunlight. Fine....it aint perfect...but abandoning it totally would be a crime.
Screw Dan Wetzel!

Well said.

You guys realize that in 2009, even if Stanzi would have never gotten hurt and Iowa had gone undefeated, they would have had no shot at the championship, right? That's the system you're defending?

And please spare me the tradition argument. God forbid that the rich history of the Little Ceasar's Pizza Bowl be threatened. Give me a break.
You're really stretching. Little Caesar's Pizza bowl isn't traditional college football. Give me a break.

Kirk is one of the greatest coaches ever. Iowa will soon win a NC. Its only a matter of time before Kirk has everything lined up.

Totally agree. The positives of a playoff of any flavor for an Iowa football fan are far outweighed by the negatives. Positives: 1. Maybe a few more dollars to the athletic dept...but the Big Ten is already awash in money and this will only narrow the gap between the Power leagues and the great unwashed. Negatives: where do I start? 1. This robs the Big Ten of the #2 asset in college football,every single year,the Rose Bowl. Even forgetting the sentimental factor, the dollars from the Rose Bowl give the Big Ten and Pac 12 a financial edge over the rest of the conferences...gone. 2. Tradition is the lifeblood of college football. No other sport is as steeped in nostalgia,socialbility,camardrie, ect... going to college football games is a true experience,all day. No other sporting event matches it. This playoff strips away more of the tradition(see Rose Bowl),romance,and sentiment. Becomes even more of a hard,cold-blooded business. Make the playoffs,or fire everyone...that will be the new standard as the playoff grows. 3. Playoffs will further stratify the sport. The talent is in the SE,SW and West Coast anyway. Now, with the same schools,mainly from those areas, in the playoffs year after year,they will separate themselves even more. Iowa need not apply. Telling a recruit that we make bowls every year used to mean something,but can it compete vs a school that makes the playoffs every other year? No way. I could go on and on...the erosion of the best regular season in any sport,as the ratings clearly show, the exploitation of the players, the uneven playing field of the Big Ten vs the SEC in terms of school standards, ect. I am still hoping and praying that somehow the Presidents come to their senses,(as the Nebraska President is on record supporting) and reel this back in to a Plus One.To me, the Plus One is the best melding of the two approaches. Still have all the traditions of the bowls seasons,including the matchups of league winners in the big bowls, which serves as a quasi-playoff,and then two teams selected as the best of the survivors. I am convinced that the older fans in the Big Ten are against this playoff if they really think about the Rose Bowl going away.This is driven by1. Younger fans who have grown up on NFL playoffs...don't know better.2. Big city media types who also have grown up on NFL playoffs,and are not grads of big time football programs schools,or been lifetime fans of a program like Iowa.3. SEC and Big 12 fans,who see an edge for their schools in playoffs,due to local talent edge,and willingness to let anyone into school,and pay players under the table if necessary. This 4 team playoff will not destroy the bowl system,but it leads to the path that will. The Plus One is the only possible solution that can really protect the bowl system. As for the bowl system,I am all for cutting down on the number of bowls,and reforming the way the bowls are managed. Demand that the graft and corruption be eliminated. Reduce the overhead to schools, standardize the whole process...bring it into the sunlight. Fine....it aint perfect...but abandoning it totally would be a crime.Screw Dan Wetzel!
Spot on....and I agree with SSC as well. This is the first step to ruining college football like college bball.

You're really stretching. Little Caesar's Pizza bowl isn't traditional college football. Give me a break.

What is "traditional college football," then? Look at this list of bowl games and tell me how many have been played at the same site, under the same name, and with the same conference tie-ins for more than a decade or so:

2011-12 bowl schedule - ESPN

This is the "tradition" you're defending.

This is a good thing. Our chances of playing for he NC just increased slightly. And in 10-20 years they'll to to an 8 teamer which will increase it slightly more. Think people.

I use to love the tradition of the bowls.

But it's just not what it use to be. Corporate America took over the bowl system, there is little tradition left. The Cotton Bowl is not even played in the Cotton bowl anymore. The match ups don't seem as interesting, or exciting, especially with half empty stadiums. I find myself 10 times more excited during any regular college football weekend than what I am for "bowl week".

Not sure how anyone can say a playoff would be any worse than what we currently have.

I use to love the tradition of the bowls.

But it's just not what it use to be. Corporate America took over the bowl system, there is little tradition left.

It's nice that corporate america won't be taking over the playoff. It's not like there's going to be a title sponsor or that ESPN has been pushing for one for the last several years.

Latest posts