Playing for next year

VT says hello. And last night was a blowout. Spin it however it makes you feel better. Basketball games are 40mins long and in no way is an 18pt loss close. Wasn't even like we were fouling them and putting them on the line at the end that resulted in a lopsided score. These simplistic views of "we're just not doing the little things to win" or "maybe they they thought they were better than they are" are completely ridiculous. Do you think those have anything to do with the glaring athletic differences between our team and opponents? Or bc Fran wasn't "humble"?!?! Do you think Jordan can't guard anyone bc he's not doing the little things, or bc he thinks so highly of himself? Do you guys watch any games other than Iowa?

Forgot about VT. I guess that was a blowout, my bad. We were up 64-61 last night and it was close most of the game. Not a real blowout in my opinion.

Did you read my whole post? We almost made the dance last year and only lost Jok. I didn't say we don't have a lack of athleticism, only that we almost made it to the NCAAs last year and don't have any less athleticism than last year. Do you watch us play defense and notice the little things our players don't do that other teams' players do, like putting a hand up in a face when needed?

I think when Jordan tweeted "RELAX" it didn't show humility. I don't ever remember hearing Fran criticize himself which shows a lack of humility. Just an opinion so take it easy.

I wonder if your response was written with the equivalent temper of Fran when he got tossed last night.

It's a down year because he failed he struck out recruiting the upperclassmen and failed to address key components needed to succeed? There's no excuse be it 4 years or 8 years into his tenure. I simply don't see why he needs more time to prove he struggles with recruiting certain positions and his teams don't seem to believe in playing defense.

What happens when we have the same problem next year and fail to make any changes the following year. Then we've lost everything we gained and are right back to square one. I'm not saying it's time to fire him immediately (although I definitely see him on the hot seat), but I simply don't see why it's acceptable period. He knows what it takes to win in this conference it's his responsibility (and job) to have those pieces put in place year in and year out. The recipe to success doesn't change.

That is exactly why it's a down year. Other than injuries, that's pretty much why down years happen to all other teams. They miss on recruiting. It's not an exact science. When you hit better than normal on a few players, you have above average years. When you miss on a few guys, you have below average years. That's how it works for most programs.

I don't think we can consider the '16 and '17 classes to be good, at this point in time. Those 2 classes are getting almost all of the minutes on a team that is currently 9-9 and dead last in the Big Ten conference. I think there are a couple of good players from these classes but that's all I'm willing to concede at this point.

That's fair too, but I have always been someone who says you only need 1 hit per class to be borderline top 25, and when you have 3 to 4 hits in the program at once you can be pretty good with the right role players around them. So, let's say Cook is a hit in the soph Class, Garza is the hit in the frosh class, Joe W is a potential hit in next years class and Patrick is a potential hit in the next class - .Kind of like what happened with Marble to White To Uthoff to Jok.. the problem is that THIS seasons SR. and JR. classes are absolute misses on every scale and we are seeing that play out on the court. So much that neither class is contributing in any way and instead we are relying on youth to try and get us by. That's not working.

I expect players that are currently at Iowa to leave after this miserable season and there will be some open scholarships.

Down years for a school like Iowa should be NIT berths and 15-20 or finishing around .500. This is a full blown tire fire with no one coming in to help put it out. Unless Fran kicks some of these guys to the curb and miraculously upgrades the talent with transfers/JuCo the program will continue it's descent the bottom of the conference.

I agree with down years should be NIT years. The question is, do you fire a guy for one really bad year? Honestly, if they only win a couple conference games, I would be all for moving on. How they are playing right now is a fireable offense if it continues all season.

I agree with down years should be NIT years. The question is, do you fire a guy for one really bad year? Honestly, if they only win a couple conference games, I would be all for moving on. How they are playing right now is a fireable offense if it continues all season.

If we had a legit PG coming in next year I'd say no. As it stands we're in ywar 8 and Fran has yet to recruit a PG that is above average. 8 years!!! It's time for a change. If the clowns can get a FB coach who can recruit to that shit hole then there is zero reason we can't get a basketball coach who can recruit OUTSIDE the borders of Iowa.

That's fair too, but I have always been someone who says you only need 1 hit per class to be borderline top 25, and when you have 3 to 4 hits in the program at once you can be pretty good with the right role players around them. So, let's say Cook is a hit in the soph Class, Garza is the hit in the frosh class, Joe W is a potential hit in next years class and Patrick is a potential hit in the next class - .Kind of like what happened with Marble to White To Uthoff to Jok.. the problem is that THIS seasons SR. and JR. classes are absolute misses on every scale and we are seeing that play out on the court. So much that neither class is contributing in any way and instead we are relying on youth to try and get us by. That's not working.

I expect players that are currently at Iowa to leave after this miserable season and there will be some open scholarships.

Those 2 classes ended up so bad that guys who should be role players as upperclassmen were getting starter minutes their freshman year. The fact that Freshman Garza and Nunge and sophomore Kriener and Pemsl are better than all but one junior or senior says a lot about those classes.

Neither Cook or Garza can play defense. So, I'll give them half of a "hit". And without a PG "hit" and a 2G "hit", you can forget about top 25.

all fair points and questions I have as well. I just don't know how anyone could say Fran was not a complete success story at Iowa up until 2 months ago. If you want to argue how successful, I can feel that. We haven't been elite, but we've been back to what Iowa was the last time it resembled basketball program. 3 year stretches of NCAA's. He'd never taken a step back? A lot of programs do. Again, last season wasn't that IMO, missing the dance by a game when you lost 85% of your scoring and minutes from the previous season is always going to be a good season all things considered. Again, I still think LAST season was Fran's best coaching job.

This season, with out a doubt has been his worse.... I just can't turn on him that quick, he's built up enough good will with me, shows good signs in recruiting, has locked down the borders of Iowa with getting the states top kids (that wasn't always the case with Tom, Steve or Lick), started pulling in other states top kids (Cook, Nunge and Garza) to scrap it this quick just seems knee jerk. That's just me tho, and he's wearing out his welcome with me too. But I've seen enough progress with this program since he's taken over with very few steps backwards along the way and I've seen enough to give him a little bit of a leash.

We're dog crap right now, you'll get no argument from me....but this is the same core that went 10-8 in a better B1G last season. I don't think we are as bad as we've looked and we probably weren't as good as we looked to finish out last season. Fran has his work cut out for him... and I'm a Hawkeye fan and will cheer him on the entire way.

By your posts, I can tell you are very knowledgeable and a true fan. I think another issue that is seldom raised is the role the AD should play but hasn't. As you have pointed out, some of these issues are systemic. Year after year, we have problems with in game management, failures to address PG recruiting, and long stretches of team defense breakdowns. A knowledgeable AD would require the HC to make staff changes to start addressing these longstanding issues. Let's hope Barta has the sense and courage to take that action at the end of the season i.e. no contract extension until you bring in staff that we both agree will help you address these issues.

Cook is a stud. Still has developing to do. There is other D1 talent, they are young. But not as much as there should be in year 8 in my opinion.
Michigan st is mostly freshman and Sophs . We aren’t playing for next year either

Next year? Is JBo, Nunge, Garza, C Mac, etc, etc all of a sudden going to develop the foot speed, lateral quickness, and overall athletic ability necessary to play halfway quality defense in the B1G. Cuz if not, then next year looks like more of the same to me....
I love it when people on here say if we get a stud PG it will solve most of our problems . When I watch a stud ACC team I don’t like one single player on our roster. We need 8 new players and we need them like yesterday

"You dance with who brung ya," so to speak.

It's not like Lebron and Steph Curry are walking through the door anytime, so the coaching staff is going to have to figure out how to get this team on track for next season. The parts are not going to be much different.

While I agree that finding a more athletic PG is not going to be a savior, it still has to be a priority.

I also don't think we need wholesale changes. Garza and Nunge both will improve defensively. The transition from HS to the B1G is more difficult for big guys. When they gain strength and can hold their own, they will be more than effective players. Both have more natural ability than Woodbury did coming in, so for them it's more about power and stoutness, especially with Garza.

I honestly think Nunge will play at the next level. Someone above worried about his confidence, and I agree. I see him staring at the floor a lot when things aren't going well, so Fran is going to have to work on developing his confidence moving forward.

Latest posts