Playing for next year

NikeHawk21

The season is long past over but we need to use the rest of the season to start building for next year. That means playing the players with the most potential and basketball talent.

1. Nunge. He has only played 19 minutes in the last three games, which is absolutely disgraceful. He was playing well and showing signs at the 4 until Fran decided to move him back to the 3 for no apparent reason. Move him back to the 4 and give him 20-25 minutes a game. The kid probably has the most potential on our team.

2. Dailey. The kid has basically had to earn every minute he’s gotten this year and kudos to him for that. He needs to continue to get more minutes and I also think he should get a chance to start, with Baer back to his 6th man role. Also let’s try an entire game with Dailey bringing the ball up the court and JBo running off screens. I’m not saying it will work but there isn’t any reason to not try it at this point.

3. Moss. He won’t play like that every night, but I think Fran hampers him by not giving him minutes if he doesn’t come out scoring. Let the guy get in the rhythm of the game and he can be a streaky scorer.

Here’s what I’d like to see (and I’ve basically been saying as much for several weeks):

JBo 30 / Dailey 10
Moss 30 / Dailey 10
Dailey 10 / Baer 30
Nunge 25 / Pemsl 15
Cook 25 / Garza 15

I have JBo listed at the one but as I said if Dailey is in he can certainly bring the ball up. I still think Cook is a natural 5 and requires that space to operate. Pemsl was awful last night but I still think he can be a decent bench guy. I’m not nearly as high on Garza as others but he does have potential, although his defense might be worse than Cook’s was last year and that’s saying something.

Uhl, Wagner, Kriener and BE should not play - period and there should never be a moment in the game where Jordan, Baer and Cook are all out of the game at the same time.

Like last night - there was a moment in the game when the line up was Ryan Kreiner, Pemsl, Dailey, Wagner and Moss. That's a losing combo if I've ever seen one.

Uhl, Wagner, Kriener and BE should not play - period and there should never be a moment in the game where Jordan, Baer and Cook are all out of the game at the same time.

Like last night - there was a moment in the game when the line up was Ryan Kreiner, Pemsl, Dailey, Wagner and Moss. That's a losing combo if I've ever seen one.
It feels like every Iowa fan I know sees this so I just can't understand why our coaching staff can't???

Watching Wagner playing basketball is painful. He has zero basketball skills. Zero. The lineup last night with him and Pemsl in at that same time was absolutely mind boggling. Neither can hit, or will even attempt, a shot beyond 3ft. Wtf do you think that does to our offense, and the other 3 already offensive challenged Hawks on the floor, Fran? Seriously have to wonder about him when he pulls that shit. How can a D1 forward not at least be able consistently hit from the elbow?!? Again, garbage recruiting and development.

It feels like every Iowa fan I know sees this so I just can't understand why our coaching staff can't???

It's really an issue I take with Fran and the staff. Like last night with just under 5 and it still being a 10-12 pt game - we subbed in Wagner, I saw that and turned it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL
It's really an issue I take with Fran and the staff. Like last night with just under 5 and it still being a 10-12 - we subbed in Wagner in the game, I saw that and turned it off.

Fran needs to sit Wagner down and shoot him straight. He's not a D1 basketball player, and never has been. Another scholarship that could be used for someone with some actual basketball talent.

It’s amazing some of the things these coaches see. Pemsl was having an awful game and played a bunch but Nunge didn’t get any minutes. Nunge is 6’11 and can move his feet better than Pemsl. (Nunge got blown by by guards when our coaches ask him to play 3).

Reactions: DJL
Fran needs to sit Wagner down and shoot him straight. He's not a D1 basketball player, and never has been. Another scholarship that could be used for someone with some actual basketball talent.
Simple question...."Does Iowa have any D1 players?" Cook Maybe? Very frustrating to watch. Couldn't see it last night, but, of course, the outcome was what I expected

Simple question...."Does Iowa have any D1 players?" Cook Maybe? Very frustrating to watch. Couldn't see it last night, but, of course, the outcome was what I expected

Just maybe on Cook?

I bet if it weren't for Iowa Garza and Bohannon would like be playing at Simpson or Morning Side.

Just maybe on Cook?

I bet if it weren't for Iowa Garza and Bohannon would like be playing at Simpson or Morning Side.
Cook is a stud. Still has developing to do. There is other D1 talent, they are young. But not as much as there should be in year 8 in my opinion.

That’s a little bit extreme. I think there is plenty of B1G talent on this team. I think the bigger issue is the deep rotations ultimately hurts everyone. Guys have no ability to get in a rhythm when they only play 10-15 minutes a game.

Cook is a stud. Still has developing to do. There is other D1 talent, they are young. But not as much as there should be in year 8 in my opinion.

I agree with you but 2 things make year 8 meaningless really. 1. people say it like there has been no success at all those previous seasons?Year 4,5,6 and 7 were "ok"....and 2. This years junior and senior classes were recruited to Iowa in Fran's 3rd and 4th season, where they had an NIT and and NCAA first 4 to recruit to and pretty much 0 NCAA appearances in almost a decade. So, the whole... "In year 8 thing just doesn't hold weight" for me personally, and it's not really taking into account the mild success Fran has had turning things around. Ya know? Like.... one can say things like "in year 4, we still have this type of play" if a coach hasn't shown any sign of progress. In 8 years it's less a thing other then, it's a bad season and his first real bad season since he turned things around. But you can say that this jr and senior classes were recruited on virtually no success. Which makes him getting and developing players like Marble, White, Uthoff and Jok more impressive and also a reason why I can't make his seat that hot along with the sophomore and freshman classes looking better, but still, are big question marks now after this season.

I think every single sholly kid on the team is a D1 player. Are the B1G Caliber? That's a different question but I think all of them are aside Wagner, Ryan Kriener, Brady Ellingson and Dom Uhl... (who happen to be part of the classes I referenced above)

Next year? Is JBo, Nunge, Garza, C Mac, etc, etc all of a sudden going to develop the foot speed, lateral quickness, and overall athletic ability necessary to play halfway quality defense in the B1G. Cuz if not, then next year looks like more of the same to me....

Next year? Is JBo, Nunge, Garza, C Mac, etc, etc all of a sudden going to develop the foot speed, lateral quickness, and overall athletic ability necessary to play halfway quality defense in the B1G. Cuz if not, then next year looks like more of the same to me....

Well, to be fair, basically the same team minus a good scoring G went 10-8 in the B1G the season before and are now 0-5 ...so it's pretty clear things can change in a hurry.

I hate when people say this is unacceptable in year 8. This is a down year and down years are acceptable at a program like Iowa. It would be less acceptable if it was year 4. At least it came after a pretty decent 3 year run.

No. But as long as they understand positioning and get better at recognition, they will improve enough to be average on defense. Most importantly, they need to develop the mindset that every possession matters.

I think Ellingson is as good as gone this offseason, especially after playing zero minutes vs Maryland last night. He graduates this spring and could grad transfer somewhere and get more minutes. With Wieskamp coming in, Brady has to see the writing on the wall at this point.

Fran then needs to use that open scholarship to land a grad transfer PG. Not a Juco, not a freshman, not a project. Someone to come right in at the D1 level and play 30 minutes a game at the PG spot.

I hate when people say this is unacceptable in year 8. This is a down year and down years are acceptable at a program like Iowa. It would be less acceptable if it was year 4. At least it came after a pretty decent 3 year run.

It's a down year because he failed he struck out recruiting the upperclassmen and failed to address key components needed to succeed? There's no excuse be it 4 years or 8 years into his tenure. I simply don't see why he needs more time to prove he struggles with recruiting certain positions and his teams don't seem to believe in playing defense.

What happens when we have the same problem next year and fail to make any changes the following year. Then we've lost everything we gained and are right back to square one. I'm not saying it's time to fire him immediately (although I definitely see him on the hot seat), but I simply don't see why it's acceptable period. He knows what it takes to win in this conference it's his responsibility (and job) to have those pieces put in place year in and year out. The recipe to success doesn't change.

What Fran has been doing to Nunge the last few games is not only hurting us now but it's hurting us more for the future. This season is a lost cause, we need to be developing him for the future.

Latest posts