Players Meeting

That's exactly right. Quiet. Just like no one steps up in the clutch. No one is consistently a GAMER except Marble, and he disappears as well. We need a leader to get us through games like Minn, OSU, and Wisconsin.
When Mike has been on the floor at the end lately, he steps up. The problem is, Fran insist on putting Marble at point at the end of the game.

Although I like Fran as coach I do question his coaching at times. It seems like in this thread there are a lot of people on the edge and they don't seem to know if they're going to fall off. Questioning coaching decisions doesn't mean you're a bad fan, in fact it is quite the opposite. It shows that you are tuned in and you have the passion for your team to win. The game I saw tonight, although I only got back in town and saw the 2nd half seemed like an extension of the Wisconsin game. It seems like the players are there to go through the motions. Fran hasn't seemed like the same coach to me since the Big 10 and Gary Barta clamped down on him. The closest thing to a true leader I see on this team is Mike Gesell. Marble could be a leader but he seems to be incapable of making the right decisions at clutch time and is unwilling to allow someone other than himself to be the star. Aaron White is a total mystery to me. I don't know if he's being coached to play the way he is or if he's become a shrinking violet. He must have had a good game in the first half tonight and he did have 8 rebounds but I only saw 4 to 6 points in the 2nd half. He may have been better than what I saw but it used to be he was so visible for the entire game. It just seems like he's lost confidence. Another thing I question is Zach McCabe was in at the end of the game and through up another 3 pointer. He just looks like he forces his shot sometimes. Same thing for JO. When these guys are in the flow of the game good things happen. When they force things bad things happen. The players have to produce but it's Fran's job to get them to produce. The entire team needs to look in a mirror and decide how they want their legacy to read.
Not on the edge for me...I have felt this way all season long...too much depth.

Jesus Christ ppl. We just lost a road game by 6 to a team that had a freaking ocean for a hoop tonight. Think about it. This so called team that is "tanking" and "going through the motions" lost by 6. We fought throughout. Whatever, why do I bother....

Jesus Christ ppl. We just lost a road game by 6 to a team that had a freaking ocean for a hoop tonight. Think about it. This so called team that is "tanking" and "going through the motions" lost by 6. We fought throughout. Whatever, why do I bother....

In isolation, I completely agree. In the context of blowing it Sat vs WI and at home vs OSU and MSU and all the other losses where they have snatched a loss from the clutches of victory, it is disturbing.

Yep, Minniehaha had the game of their season against us and still only managed to beat us by 6.Years past,we would have lost by 20. But this team fought to the end. I don't know if having Basabe would have made a difference in the last 2 games. We have managed to lose games when he was available anyway. For whatever reason,we just can't make wide open shots. I really hope that Fran can find some shooters. Been saying it all season long,it would be great to have a Matt Gatens on this team.

No we need a Coaches meeting. When Iowa starts struggling Fran just starts throwing lineups onto the court to see if they will work. Getting downright stupid. We saw it again tonight. Wierd, wierd stuff...Here is an idea get the starters back on the damn court...

You crack me up.

Its like you want the 5 best players, in your mind, to be on the court for all 40 minutes per game.

This game was just like the West Virginia - ISU game. Flush it and move on.

Not really though. Iowa actually still had a chance to win with a couple minutes left. Down 80-76 with the ball. ISU was done about 10 minutes into that West Virginia game.

You crack me up.

Its like you want the 5 best players, in your mind, to be on the court for all 40 minutes per game.

I actually would like the best 5 players to be on the court at the end of the game. But we keep seeing McCabe out there down the stretch.

I'm not sure what the answer is w/this team, perhaps it changes Thursday, but I'm still kind of scratchin' my head a little as to execution down the stretch, forced shots, losing the ball, not rebounding....there are more issues here that need to be addressed between coaches and players....gut check time boys, need to finish a game strong so they know how to do it the next time and the time after that, because we all know it'll happen again....There's a lot of ball left between now and Selection Sunday, and G@d damn it, we better be selected...kids have worked too hard to pi$$ it away now

I'm beginning to realize for Fran's offense to work we need a two guys that can hit the outside shot consistently, if we aren't hitting the three, we must have toughness in the lane. We haven't had either of these for a while now.

Does anybody else think Fran asked Zac to focus on his three pt game more? I have also noticed the team jacking up three's more often, when did Iowa become an outside shooting team?

I'm beginning to realize for Fran's offense to work we need a two guys that can hit the outside shot consistently, if we aren't hitting the three, we must have toughness in the lane. We haven't had either of these for a while now.

Does anybody else think Fran asked Zac to focus on his three pt game more? I have also noticed the team jacking up three's more often, when did Iowa become an outside shooting team?

Marble and Oglesby have shot the ball well from deep this year.

You guys seriously make up so many excuses or find new ways to blame things on Fran. Fact of the matter is Minny was on FIRE tonight shooting and we played poorly defensively. We had an above average offensive night but struggled late. Story of the game was Minny not missing. This team was due for a BAD loss and it received it. Move on and quit overreacting.

I'd agree with this. The goofers had 3 guys with career nights. Our D was poor, but they were shooting lights out.

No IPA I don't want the starters on the court the entire game. I want a shorten bench and a rotation of 8 players. This team IMO has no Chemistry because of the constant lineup changes and combination that Fran puts on the court.

I know it bothers you that I keep saying Fran needs to shorten the bench and you think it's funny. I've been saying it all year and even when they were winning. It is okay to disagree with me. However it won't change how I feel.

Last edited:
No IPA I don't want the starters on the court the entire game. I want a shorten bench and a rotation of 8 players. This team IMO has no Chemistry because of the constant lineup changes and combination that Fran puts on the court.

I know it bothers you that I keep saying Fran needs to shorten the bench and you think it's funny. I've been saying it all year and even when they were winning. It is okay to disagree with me. However it won't change how I feel.

The bench only played 50 minutes total last night. The only other B1G game that is even close to that number is the 52 minutes the bench played at Michigan. The next closest after that is 66 minutes at PSU.

Through 14 games Iowa's bench has averaged 74.8 MPG, they played 25 minutes less than that last night. It is pretty obvious Fran shortened his bench last night and yet you still complain.

Its pretty obvious you just enjoy complaining, much like football season.

Last edited:
It is a message board IPA. Don't take things you don't like on here so personal. :) I don't always complain, just people like you who wait to pounce on those that post something negative or that don't align with how you see it. I see something I don't like I post, that is what a message board forum is for right. Have a great day. IPA.

You also probably think this team is real deep, don't you? Well they are not.. This is a good team right now but if Fran can dial up a good rotation shorten the bench to 8 players this team can make a serious run.. That is a FACT..

Last edited:
Having coached 29 years I agree somewhat with you. Yes the guys need to bring it every possession. However, this staff puts these guys in difficult situations and no rhyme or reason why. I love the things Fran has brought back to Iowa...but come on. The PG position must remain solid regardless...and he screws around with that more then any other. We take Mike out again and start offense/defense subbing him out...MISTAKE. It just makes me sick to my stomach watching some of the changes this staff makes. I have said enough...

Are you talking about when MG had 4 fouls?

Latest posts