Players Meeting

BlacknGold19

These guys need to get together and figure out what kind of season this is going to be. This is the most adversity they have faced this year. Back to back losses coming off a cancelled trip to Bloomington when they had all the momentum.

The energy they had against Michigan was amazing. It's that kind of basketball this team is capable of. They need to get on the same page and find their focus for this last month..or they might regret this season the rest of their lives

No we need a Coaches meeting. When Iowa starts struggling Fran just starts throwing lineups onto the court to see if they will work. Getting downright stupid. We saw it again tonight. Wierd, wierd stuff...Here is an idea get the starters back on the damn court...

No we need a Coaches meeting. When Iowa starts struggling Fran just starts throwing lineups onto the court to see if they will work. Getting downright stupid. We saw it again tonight. Wierd, wierd stuff...Here is an idea get the starters back on the damn court...

Yep, huge mistake in firing Lickliter and bringing in McCaffery. Huge mistake.

It's both, the players need to mesh and stop taking bad shots in key moments of the game. Everyone tries to be the hero and they force shots and bad passes.

I agree with you about Fran completely. It's almost the end of the conference season and he doesn't have his lineup figured out. It's as if having depth is more of an issue than a good thing. Something is missing, hopefully they can find whatever it is

And if Fran would have not changed his lineup he would have been crucified. This is definitely a players problem. A veteran ball club should not play matador defense. This team lacks a killer instinct. If you want to blame Fran for bringing in these types of players, I'm fine with that. But ultimately the game is decided by the players.

How a Minn. team that struggled to score 50 pts in their last couple games scores 90+ today is beyond me. MN was like a bad turd that wouldn't flush, and the Hawks allowed them to start swirling the bowl again.

Great idea. Let's play a sick and ineffective Basabe.

HE'S A STARTER!

You guys seriously make up so many excuses or find new ways to blame things on Fran. Fact of the matter is Minny was on FIRE tonight shooting and we played poorly defensively. We had an above average offensive night but struggled late. Story of the game was Minny not missing. This team was due for a BAD loss and it received it. Move on and quit overreacting.

These guys need to get together and figure out what kind of season this is going to be. This is the most adversity they have faced this year. Back to back losses coming off a cancelled trip to Bloomington when they had all the momentum.

The energy they had against Michigan was amazing. It's that kind of basketball this team is capable of. They need to get on the same page and find their focus for this last month..or they might regret this season the rest of their lives
This team needs the guys to get together and go to the coaches and demand specific roles for themselves. Also ask for a set line-up or rotation of 8 guys and the rest get mop up duty or foul trouble minutes ONLY>

And if Fran would have not changed his lineup he would have been crucified. This is definitely a players problem. A veteran ball club should not play matador defense. This team lacks a killer instinct. If you want to blame Fran for bringing in these types of players, I'm fine with that. But ultimately the game is decided by the players.
Having coached 29 years I agree somewhat with you. Yes the guys need to bring it every possession. However, this staff puts these guys in difficult situations and no rhyme or reason why. I love the things Fran has brought back to Iowa...but come on. The PG position must remain solid regardless...and he screws around with that more then any other. We take Mike out again and start offense/defense subbing him out...MISTAKE. It just makes me sick to my stomach watching some of the changes this staff makes. I have said enough...

Who would step up and say anything? Be the quietest meeting ever

That's exactly right. Quiet. Just like no one steps up in the clutch. No one is consistently a GAMER except Marble, and he disappears as well. We need a leader to get us through games like Minn, OSU, and Wisconsin.

I do agree some of the coaching leaves me scratching my head but at the same time it's hard to coach a bunch of kids that don't even look like they want to be there. We got out ran and pushed around tonight. Minnesota just cared more. They had their way with us all night long. We could stop nobody inside or out. We looked lazy in the zone without our hands up and we looked lousy taking care of the ball all night. So I don't know if I put that on the coach for not getting his players emotionally ready to play or if I blame it on the players who elected to play this game. Cuz it's getting really annoying watching the players look at each other and wait for each other to say something. They lack poise and that starts at the top.

Other thing, I would take Marble the end of his sophomore year over Marble right now. His jump shot has regressed other than the couple good games he's had and so has his ability to create, drive and finish.

Although I like Fran as coach I do question his coaching at times. It seems like in this thread there are a lot of people on the edge and they don't seem to know if they're going to fall off. Questioning coaching decisions doesn't mean you're a bad fan, in fact it is quite the opposite. It shows that you are tuned in and you have the passion for your team to win. The game I saw tonight, although I only got back in town and saw the 2nd half seemed like an extension of the Wisconsin game. It seems like the players are there to go through the motions. Fran hasn't seemed like the same coach to me since the Big 10 and Gary Barta clamped down on him. The closest thing to a true leader I see on this team is Mike Gesell. Marble could be a leader but he seems to be incapable of making the right decisions at clutch time and is unwilling to allow someone other than himself to be the star. Aaron White is a total mystery to me. I don't know if he's being coached to play the way he is or if he's become a shrinking violet. He must have had a good game in the first half tonight and he did have 8 rebounds but I only saw 4 to 6 points in the 2nd half. He may have been better than what I saw but it used to be he was so visible for the entire game. It just seems like he's lost confidence. Another thing I question is Zach McCabe was in at the end of the game and through up another 3 pointer. He just looks like he forces his shot sometimes. Same thing for JO. When these guys are in the flow of the game good things happen. When they force things bad things happen. The players have to produce but it's Fran's job to get them to produce. The entire team needs to look in a mirror and decide how they want their legacy to read.

Latest posts