Plan is to Play Patrick McCaffery this Season

I still think folks are really overestimating the size you have to be to play the 3. I totally agree he is undersized to play the 4, but he has the skillset to play the 3. He can score and his length allow him to guard the 3. Especially in zone.

And, we have zero relevant experience at either wing position beyond JW at this point. The notion that we can assume that Frederick or Evelyn can hold down the fort completely at the other wing position is optimistic to say the least. The bottom line for me is whether PM is fully ready to contribute at the 3 -- and I am on record as saying he is -- we need him to play just from a depth perspective.

I still think folks are really overestimating the size you have to be to play the 3. I totally agree he is undersized to play the 4, but he has the skillset to play the 3. He can score and his length allow him to guard the 3. Especially in zone.

And, we have zero relevant experience at either wing position beyond JW at this point. The notion that we can assume that Frederick or Evelyn can hold down the fort completely at the other wing position is optimistic to say the least. The bottom line for me is whether PM is fully ready to contribute at the 3 -- and I am on record as saying he is -- we need him to play just from a depth perspective.

At this point as a 3 he dribbles way too high and shoots too low for the 3. His body isnt built yet for either position. If he s playing its not a good sign. As a junior he was playing against similiar aged senior. As a aenior he was older. Not likely to be ready.

As a 2nd year frosh who was older for that his bro didnt do much beyond a few nice passes to JBo late in games. Likely PM brings that too.....a decent passing game.

He is still young and has the Summer and Fall to play against college talent in practice and improve his game. He may be a slow starter and I would bet that his contributions and minutes grow as the season rolls along and he gets used to the competition level. At some point, my expectations are that PM will fill the Baer role. 20 minutes of energy off the bench, with good defense, passing, boards and outside shooting. If so, I will be satisfied.

She can do 22!

I have a very nice system for pullups.....

I carefully walk to the platform at the top of these wonderful steps

Then firmly grasp the bar

While maintaining my firm grip

I back down the stairs slowly to the floor

Repeat two or three times

Depending on my energy level

PG3558.jpg

Last edited:
At this point as a 3 he dribbles way too high and shoots too low for the 3. His body isnt built yet for either position. If he s playing its not a good sign. As a junior he was playing against similiar aged senior. As a aenior he was older. Not likely to be ready.

As a 2nd year frosh who was older for that his bro didnt do much beyond a few nice passes to JBo late in games. Likely PM brings that too.....a decent passing game.

I couldn’t disagree more with this post. I think he is very well suited to play the #3. He is long, but quick with good footwork and solid handles. He runs like a deer and has serious hops too. I can’t wait to see JT pushing on the break with JW and PMac filling on the outside. Defensively, he is definitely a wing player. We have four solid bodies to fill the #4 and #5 spots. The only time I could see him playing the #4 would be if we were going small against a guard heavy lineup.

Nick Ward was an early entry in the nba draft. He’s no longer at Michigan State.

PM in the lane against (insert any starting 4 or 5 in the B1G.) PM needs a RS season physically. but isn't going to be end of the world if he doesn't. but PM will not be strong enough to play starter minutes. he'll get eaten alive on defense.

I couldn’t disagree more with this post. I think he is very well suited to play the #3. He is long, but quick with good footwork and solid handles. He runs like a deer and has serious hops too. I can’t wait to see JT pushing on the break with JW and PMac filling on the outside. Defensively, he is definitely a wing player. We have four solid bodies to fill the #4 and #5 spots. The only time I could see him playing the #4 would be if we were going small against a guard heavy lineup.
Agree with this take. I think his game is closer to Baer's then it is to Uthoff's from the tape I have seen. But, Uthoff had the handles to play the 3 as well. Frankly, I think the best position for PM will be staying at the 3 and developing that game. Stretch 4s are a dime a dozen these days. 6'8 3s with giant wing spans will create match-up nightmares galore

Everyone has an opinion. Time will tell. Yes he can jump against generally shorter players. Runs at this point runs like a fawn.

Im not wrong about his dribbling and he has a low push shot. Those things can be corrected in time and maturation. Not ready.

PM in the lane against (insert any starting 4 or 5 in the B1G.) PM needs a RS season physically. but isn't going to be end of the world if he doesn't. but PM will not be strong enough to play starter minutes. he'll get eaten alive on defense.
I think with PM it will mostly depend upon which officials show up at the individual games, if they are MSU homers for example, where the Spartan are allowed to play their thug ball, things will be tough. With impartial officials who know how to call a fair and competent game, it will work well.