Pitt had one penalty in the 2nd half....

SpiderRico

...and that was the delay of game they took when trying to draw Iowa offsides.

Is it just me or have we been getting hosed the last couple of years at home on officials calls? Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, per se, but Kinnick used to be a GREAT homefield advantage in terms of getting the benefit of the calls. Now it seems to be the opposite.

The second holding call against Iowa was incredibly poor. It was a damned pancake block. That being said, I really don't think it's malicious; the game is too fast for them to make accurate calls.

Dont sound like a clown fan. Thread closed.

Look, I know where you're coming from in your response....but this post wasn't made to b!tch about calls in the Pitt game, or any game in particular. I was just curious to see if anyone else thought that our homefield advantage seems to have gone away over the last few years as it relates to getting the benefit of calls. Think back to the PSU game in 2009 and the somewhat phantom PI against PSU on the last drive. In my mind, we just haven't gotten calls like that in a long time.

I thought it was interesting how much they allowed their DB's put their hands all over our receivers whereas B1G officials wouldn't allow that to happen... The missed call when one of our receivers was taken out by their linebacker was bogus. To me, that's more about a team being able to adjust quickly... not sure how well our receivers are able to adjust.

Only no calls I didn't like were the helmet to helmet hits that weren't called. Could have easily taken Beathard out with one of them.

I thought both teams made helmet to helmet hits that should have been penalized by the letter of the rule, but two of Pitt's were on Iowa's quarterback and they usually get extra scrutiny. The holding seemed to be happening on every play by both teams. The one big pass interference didn't get flagged but Iowa still drove down and scored. The refs let the kids play, but the trend has been to more whistles for physical play and especially pi and hits to the head. Kids on both teams were limping after hits.

In my opinion, there were 2 really bad calls.

One was the holding call that Biasedhawkeye referenced above. The 2nd was the no call on the pass interference when I believe it was Smith just got hit while running his route.

...and that was the delay of game they took when trying to draw Iowa offsides.

Is it just me or have we been getting hosed the last couple of years at home on officials calls? Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, per se, but Kinnick used to be a GREAT homefield advantage in terms of getting the benefit of the calls. Now it seems to be the opposite.

Refs let them play for the most part (aside from the Blythe holding calls, I guess knocking a guy down is a hold). Only blatant item in the second half was the non-PI on Smith. They also swallowed the whistle on the last drive where Myers got away with a hold or two on Beathard's scrambles.

I think it's ok that Iowa won despite getting the rear end of some calls. That's tells me something.

(btw, that pi call PSU 2008 was totally legit not marginal at all)

Look, I know where you're coming from in your response....but this post wasn't made to b!tch about calls in the Pitt game, or any game in particular. I was just curious to see if anyone else thought that our homefield advantage seems to have gone away over the last few years as it relates to getting the benefit of calls. Think back to the PSU game in 2009 and the somewhat phantom PI against PSU on the last drive. In my mind, we just haven't gotten calls like that in a long time.

Gee, glad you weren't b!tching about the officiating. I wasn't sure there.

We were talking about the helmet to helmet call during the review. Even if they missed it during live action they should have caught it while watching the replay. I think that they should be able to throw late flags in that situation.

It was not just helmet to helmet hits on CJ. It seemed like all contact with him after passing seemed to be aimed at his head, lots of hands up on his helmet and quite a few forearms to the head.

Looks like Narduzzi might have been behind some of the "aggressive" defense play at MSU.

Gotta expect an aggressive hard hitting game against Narduzzi. The pi that wasn't called was bad but I'm sure we had some that weren't called. The only play I have a problem with is the helmet shot CJ took. That could have injured him badly.

Glen Mason, the former gopher coach who did the color for BTN for the game, complained about TWO phantom holding calls against Iowa and was very upset about the second one, saying it was a horrible call. Yes, the refs screwed us, but we won anyway (a sign of a very good team). Holding calls on running plays just drive me nuts....you could call it on EVERY PLAY. Mason also said that the no call on the pass interference against Smith was a horrible no call.

I think the thread should have been titled: "Pitt was only charged with one penalty in the 2nd half...." as they had plenty of penalties from my perspective.

For example the blocked punt should have had a block in the back called during the return as one of the Panthers tackled Kidd from behind when he was trying to tackle the player who recovered the ball.

Not saying they wouldn't have capitalized on the turnover but the penalty seemed obvious to me.

Latest posts