Pistons Cut Garza

longtimer

Really fine college player but probably not NBA ability.. Hopefully has a good career somewhere other than Russia

I expect we'll see him on a summer league roster in the next few days. Then, hopefully, an invite to a camp. Then we'll see if he is headed overseas somewhere.

I would not give up on his NBA career yet. It was a numbers game as Detroit brought in an upgrade at center. He got a lot of minutes last season in the NBA for his rookie season. If I had to bet, I would suspect he makes a roster somewhere next year. There are a lot of bad rosters out there who can use cheap help off the bench.

What a crock... I kinda hope he either goes to DC (home for him) or to a dang good team so we can see him on TV. He'll catch on wherever he's given the chance. He works too dang hard not to and he can shoot outside.

Garza’s not a guy who’s going to have a steady career in the NBA. He doesn’t fit the mold. It’s not a knock against him, it is what it is. NBA post players are absolute physical monstrosities. Nothing you can do about it if you don’t have the genetics. Like with car engines, there’s no replacement for displacement.

Keegan Murray, on the other hand…

Garza’s not a guy who’s going to have a steady career in the NBA. He doesn’t fit the mold. It’s not a knock against him, it is what it is. NBA post players are absolute physical monstrosities. Nothing you can do about it if you don’t have the genetics. Like with car engines, there’s no replacement for displacement.

Bad analogy. There are plenty of replacements for displacement. Compression, fuel injection, tweaking how the exhaust flows, etc. The modern Ford ecoboost is like 3.5 liters and cranks over 400 ponies. The Ford 5.0 engines in the early '80s couldn't even manage half of that.

Luke could find a berth on a team of sharpshooters

If he can receive a pass in the paint, he has the moves to score

In the playoffs, every team had a bench player who played quality minutes

Luke would be a good fit for certain teams who need a big body with the starters on the bench

A big man who isn't considered a constant threat, but can nail threes is a bonus

The Warriors had a player like that: Nemanja Bjelica: 6'9" 235 who played very well in spots
especially on D

Draymond digs him.....

They used his length on the perimeter to hamper the sharpshooters

If he can't find a fit, he certainly got a bundle of cash when he was picked

That and overseas dinero should set him up quite nicely

:cool:

George Niang has never played defense in his life and couldn't jump over a phone book, but he found a role in the NBA. He basically hangs around the perimeter and shoots 3(s) for about 10 minutes a game. Niang operates better in space than Garza does, but in the back of my head I am thinking if that dude can make it so can Garza.

George Niang has never played defense in his life and couldn't jump over a phone book, but he found a role in the NBA. He basically hangs around the perimeter and shoots 3(s) for about 10 minutes a game. Niang operates better in space than Garza does, but in the back of my head I am thinking if that dude can make it so can Garza.

He's still playing in the league? Wow. Who knew.

Garza is unfortunately 10-15 yrs too young. Centers in the 1980-1990's would wish to have his size and skill set. The game has just evolved in another direction. Golden State and Steph Currey surely played a part in the shift.

Niang might be the worst nba player that actually plays in the entire league. Hes garbage on defense and literally all he does is stand behind the 3point line and gets open and has turned himself into a decent shooter which is about all the league is now. I doubt he took a actual shot in the lane all year.

Garza is unfortunately 10-15 yrs too young. Centers in the 1980-1990's would wish to have his size and skill set. The game has just evolved in another direction. Golden State and Steph Currey surely played a part in the shift.

Correct. Imagine a Chris Dudley or Bill Wennington type guy who was a big body in the paint but that could bring the other dominant bigs of the era like Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem and the Admiral out to the perimeter to play defense. In that regime Garza would have had a 12-15 year NBA career and would have been the first or second big guy out of the All Star game every year for close to a decade. It would have been a fantastic role.

Bad analogy. There are plenty of replacements for displacement. Compression, fuel injection, tweaking how the exhaust flows, etc. The modern Ford ecoboost is like 3.5 liters and cranks over 400 ponies. The Ford 5.0 engines in the early '80s couldn't even manage half of that.
Dammit man, I’m assuming you pee standing up and eat red meat if you feel like it. Don’t go ruining a great analogy with softball stats straight out of the rice burner defensive playbook.

If I didn’t already know you, I’d now assume you drove an ‘06 Accord with a transformer decal and a big spoiler JB Welded to the trunk lid. You don’t want to be associated with that.

There’s still time to fix it. You’re a lawyer so I know you have the ability to bullshit your way out of this mess and still save face.

Dammit man, I’m assuming you pee standing up and eat red meat if you feel like it. Don’t go ruining a great analogy with softball stats straight out of the rice burner defensive playbook.

If I didn’t already know you, I’d now assume you drove an ‘06 Accord with a transformer decal and a big spoiler JB Welded to the trunk lid. You don’t want to be associated with that.

There’s still time to fix it. You’re a lawyer so I know you have the ability to bullshit your way out of this mess and still save face.

Look, even before fuel injection and computers took over engine control guys figured out how to increase HP dramatically within the confines of displacement rules imposed by various racing series.

I bet Luka sticks around in the NBA and bounces around from G league to the bigs for a few more seasons at least. He's just too big and skilled for teams not to see value. He'll never be a starter or big time contributor but I bet he has more than a cup of coffee left in his NBA future.

People have been doubting Luka his whole career, and all he did in college was work his ass off to become the best college center in a generation. I agree that college success does not equal NBA success, but there is a hell of a foundation there with a guy who works his ass off and has a big body. I don't think he will be a starter or a star, but I think he has the tools to stick in the NBA for a decent career. He can score. He needs to prove he can D up against other bigs.

Latest posts