Pirsig to the Goophers

Has said he wants to rebuild Minny. He's from Minny too. Not really surprised. It's much easier to rebuild a football program than a basketball program. That is why you see more high level prospects pick struggling football teams than you do in basketball (i.e. Iowa). Much easier to go to bowl game than make NCAA tourney where ultimately basketball recruits want to play in.

He is a good tackle, but you need more than just one good tackle to rebuild a program. They are going to need to get a lot of quality prospects to make Minnesota better. Hopefully they have someone on the new staff that can build a quality O-line to help him out.

In my opinion, that statement could not be further from the truth.

+1
Much easier to rebuild in Bball. Two or three nice recruits and you are in business. Imagine if mccaffery were to sign two Mcdonalds All-Americans, we would be contenders just like that. The same is not true in football, which is much more of a long term, difficult process.

Good get for the Gophers. Hopefully we can land Kozan and Diamond.

My read on what the scouts are saying about Pirsig is he has a good upside but, is very raw. Rather have Diamond, and that's not "sour grapes" talking that's how I've felt all along. That said, would've liked to have him.

My read on what the scouts are saying about Pirsig is he has a good upside but, is very raw. Rather have Diamond, and that's not "sour grapes" talking that's how I've felt all along. That said, would've liked to have him.

My post wasnt implying that I would have rather had Pirsig, even though it kind of reads like that. He would have been a good pick up but Diamond is at the top of my list.

My post wasnt implying that I would have rather had Pirsig, even though it kind of reads like that. He would have been a good pick up but Diamond is at the top of my list.

Yeah, I wasn't replying to your post nor thought that was what you were implying. Kozan, sounds like we're a virtual lock to be among his finalists...if OSU should offer that would be real trouble sounds like he'd immediately put them at #1.

Yeah, I wasn't replying to your post nor thought that was what you were implying. Kozan, sounds like we're a virtual lock to be among his finalists...if OSU should offer that would be real trouble sounds like he'd immediately put them at #1.

You quoted my post so that is why I thought you were replying to it.

Has said he wants to rebuild Minny. He's from Minny too. Not really surprised. It's much easier to rebuild a football program than a basketball program. That is why you see more high level prospects pick struggling football teams than you do in basketball (i.e. Iowa). Much easier to go to bowl game than make NCAA tourney where ultimately basketball recruits want to play in.

What the hell are you talking about?

There are like 68 bids to the NCAA tourney now and what, 35 bowl games for 70 teams?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

MUCH easier to rebuild in bball....one player like oh...Harrison Barnes...and Iowa is a contender....football requires more of a team rebuild.

I completely respect his decision to sign with Minnesota. With that being said, I would just like him to remember two little words...Jaleel Johnson.

Pirsig had a huge upside. I wanted him to be a Hawk ... but I respect his decision.

Folks are correct that Iowa offers a better path to the NFL .... however, Minny offered something that Iowa couldn't .... proximity and early playing time. The ability to be able to start at the D1 level and have your family watch your every game ... that's still pretty special. It's definitely an opportunity that not everybody gets.

Again, I wanted Pirsig to be Hawk. That said ... I'm not worried about Iowa's OL recruiting in this class.

What the hell are you talking about?

There are like 68 bids to the NCAA tourney now and what, 35 bowl games for 70 teams?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Exactly, HALF of football teams play in a bowl game. Only 20% of basketball teams play in the tourney. What I'm saying in rebuilding a basketball program is that kids want to come in and play right away and play in NCAA tourney and play 1-3 years and then go pro. They want quick results so they look at more established programs. In football kids take more RS as it's more of a developmental sport because more bodies and in football you play 3 years before going pro so can take more time. With no tourney in football, a lot of recruits want to experience a bowl game which is available to HALF the teams. Basketball recruits are more about wins.

Last edited:

Latest posts