Pierschbacher Looking Around?

Inflated egos about what? When your goal is just to make "any" bowl game and you are considered perenially one of the worst BCS teams in the country, not quite so sure what there would be to puff your chest out about. Keep trolling though. Enjoy winning maybe 1 conference game this year. Maybe.

Huh????

Inflated egos about what? When your goal is just to make "any" bowl game and you are considered perenially one of the worst BCS teams in the country, not quite so sure what there would be to puff your chest out about. Keep trolling though. Enjoy winning maybe 1 conference game this year. Maybe.

My point was that living here in Des Moines area there are 1000s of Cyclone fans and every single one I know and on social media have big egos about their program. Why? I have no idea but IMO it's the continuous garbage praise and twisting that the national media, local media and Jamie Pollard do to make their football and basketball program look better than they really are. It feeds the Cyclone fans egos as if they deserve it and have it. Them landing Lazard and us losing out on Ross P. would just add fuel to the fire for all of them. Give them another way to twist and convolute "Iowa State's rise to elitism"

Yes, KFz puts guys in the NFL... but players..competitors...want to WIN. It's not a freaking job...it's sport, fun, passion and yes....winning. It's about the college experience. You have the rest of your life to go to a "job".

Why do the strength of the position coaches never seem to get credit for the kids getting to the pros? I get that Kirk has an excellent pedigree as an NFL O-line coach and pro connections, but he doesn't coach the position at Iowa. Iowa has had some excellent O-line coaches but I seldom hear them mentioned. Hayden goes down as one of the head coaches that spawned the most successful assistants moving to successful head coaches, and when so many had moved it showed in the latter years. One of Kirk's strengths has been the stability of his coaching staff, although I read here that some feel too much stability. Honest discussion question.

Why do the strength of the position coaches never seem to get credit for the kids getting to the pros? I get that Kirk has an excellent pedigree as an NFL O-line coach and pro connections, but he doesn't coach the position at Iowa. Iowa has had some excellent O-line coaches but I seldom hear them mentioned. Hayden goes down as one of the head coaches that spawned the most successful assistants moving to successful head coaches, and when so many had moved it showed in the latter years. One of Kirk's strengths has been the stability of his coaching staff, although I read here that some feel too much stability. Honest discussion question.

Ferentz has had three OL coaches work under him:

Joe Philbin was the OL coach at Iowa for KF's first 4 years. He was recognized for his coaching ability, moved on to the pros, moved through the GB Packers' coaching staff to eventually become the OC, and is now the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Reese Morgan was the OL coach for the next 9 years. He is definitely highly regarding within the coaching industry for his ability. He has never coached outside of Iowa high schools and the University of Iowa, so it seems he is very comfortable in the state and isn't seeking to move on. I think if he wanted to move on, he would have done so instead of moving to coach the DL before last season.

Brian Ferentz is set to enter 2nd year as the OL coach at Iowa. He's only 30 years old, and I think many in Iowa and in the coaching community would agree that he is a guy to watch out for in the coaching industry in the next 20 years or so.

I think Ferentz is a great OL coach, but you're right that he doesn't directly coach them at Iowa. However, he does put a real emphasis on the position and puts great coaches in place to coach that spot.

Ferentz has had three OL coaches work under him:

Joe Philbin was the OL coach at Iowa for KF's first 4 years. He was recognized for his coaching ability, moved on to the pros, moved through the GB Packers' coaching staff to eventually become the OC, and is now the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Reese Morgan was the OL coach for the next 9 years. He is definitely highly regarding within the coaching industry for his ability. He has never coached outside of Iowa high schools and the University of Iowa, so it seems he is very comfortable in the state and isn't seeking to move on. I think if he wanted to move on, he would have done so instead of moving to coach the DL before last season.

Brian Ferentz is set to enter 2nd year as the OL coach at Iowa. He's only 30 years old, and I think many in Iowa and in the coaching community would agree that he is a guy to watch out for in the coaching industry in the next 20 years or so.

I think Ferentz is a great OL coach, but you're right that he doesn't directly coach them at Iowa. However, he does put a real emphasis on the position and puts great coaches in place to coach that spot.

Thanks for the reasoned response jumper.

I have been a Hawkeye fan my entire life and I am raising my kids to be Hawk fans as well. But if one of them came to me and asked my advice while holding offers from both Stanford and Iowa I would say Stanford without hesitation. But never Alabama, I would kick my kids butts if they chose Alabama over Iowa. Unless the money was right of course. :D

I have been a Hawkeye fan my entire life and I am raising my kids to be Hawk fans as well. But if one of them came to me and asked my advice while holding offers from both Stanford and Iowa I would say Stanford without hesitation. But never Alabama, I would kick my kids butts if they chose Alabama over Iowa. Unless the money was right of course. :D[/QUOT

I can understand this in most situations but when your kid has a great chance to play in the pros as an offensive lineman, I would want him to chose Iowa.

I quickly skimmed some of the articles written about his trip (by Bama writers) and his tone is definitely different. He didn't say he was decomitting but he did say he had a decision to make after he gets back from Palo Alto and he said that he holds Iowa, Bama, and Stanford all at the same level. Doesn't sound like a kid too committed does it?

Last edited:
I quickly skimmed some of the articles written about his trip (by Bama writers) and his tone is definitely different. He didn't say he was decomitting but he did say he had a decision to make after he gets back from Palo Alto and he said that he holds Iowa, Bama, and Stanford all at the same level. Doesn't sound like a kid too committed does it?

Ruh roh.

What happened to KF's policy of once you are committed you cant hold hands with another school?

PULL THE OFFER!!!

Ruh roh.

What happened to KF's policy of once you are committed you cant hold hands with another school?

PULL THE OFFER!!!

That policy is unrealistic in 2013. I agree that Pierschbacher's tone hasn't been good. We've a long way to go until February.

That policy is unrealistic in 2013. I agree that Pierschbacher's tone hasn't been good. We've a long way to go until February.

I wouldnt say that is true. Its unrealistic when it comes to the most highly sought after Iowa recruit in just under a decade. It would still hold true for some other prospects in this day and age I would guess.

I wouldnt say that is true. Its unrealistic when it comes to the most highly sought after Iowa recruit in just under a decade. It would still hold true for some other prospects in this day and age I would guess.

Exactly. You use this when you are dealing with some kid that has an Iowa offer plus maybe another mid-level BCS offer. If you do this to Ross, he would laugh his a$$ off all the way down on the flight to Tuscaloosa.

Ruh roh.

PULL THE OFFER!!!

yeah, not probably applicable in 2013 like it was a few years ago. Also, IIRC it stemmed more from committed players not informing the staff they were taking other visits, and kinda doing it behind their back I guess you'd say.

yeah, not probably applicable in 2013 like it was a few years ago. Also, IIRC it stemmed more from committed players not informing the staff they were taking other visits, and kinda doing it behind their back I guess you'd say.

Did you even read teh rest of teh thread?

He does have his buddies Hill & Boettger in I.C. & has the somewhat unique advantage that Harrington was at Bama for a year and is now headed to I.C. aswell so you never know...

His committment 100% rests on the direction of the Iowa football team this season.

And Bingo was his name 0. And considering we are going 4-8 again, and will probably get lambasted by OSU, Michigan and nebby, me thinks we will never see many of these verbals we are excited about step foot on campus. If Iowa football was a stock, the stop loss would kick in now to save us from going completely broke. It will hit bottom around February when all our 3-4 stars sign elsewhere.

And Bingo was his name 0. And considering we are going 4-8 again, and will probably get lambasted by OSU, Michigan and nebby, me thinks we will never see many of these verbals we are excited about step foot on campus. If Iowa football was a stock, the stop loss would kick in now to save us from going completely broke. It will hit bottom around February when all our 3-4 stars sign elsewhere.

Time will tell. One thing I do know is we need tough kids that are not afraid of challenges. If Ross or any other recruit is afraid then it probably is not going to work at Iowa to begin with and it is best if they go elsewhere. Being concerned about our record in a previous season indicates to me that he does not have confidence in his own abilities to be part of a turn-around. We are not going to improve with a bunch of prima-donnas.

Time will tell. One thing I do know is we need tough kids that are not afraid of challenges. If Ross or any other recruit is afraid then it probably is not going to work at Iowa to begin with and it is best if they go elsewhere. Being concerned about our record in a previous season indicates to me that he does not have confidence in his own abilities to be part of a turn-around. We are not going to improve with a bunch of prima-donnas.

Yep what he said. Why wouldn't you want to be apart of something special.

I think the fans have hit rock bottom more than the program. These prognostications sound more like pouty tantrums masquerading as football conversation and analysis. Quit worrying about KF and look in the mirror for any lack of excitement in a recruits eyes.

Latest posts