Physically dominated by an FCS team

A game that comes down to the last play is not domination. Not to mention, all the missed holding calls against ndsu and the phantom one against Iowa negating the long run.

So what about missed calls and last second field goals. This game should have been a 2-3 TD w for Iowa and the fact that it's not is m embarrassment no matter how you put it.

It shouldn't have mattered, Iowa should still have won this game, and it doesn't change the glaring problems on pass protection and depth issues and playcalling/philosophy...but...there's always a but...as with most games...2 plays were the difference in a 2 point loss and a 2 touchdown win....the pick 6 and the holding call on Kittle. Ugh.

Again, still doesn't hide the issues, and it shouldn't have mattered.

Terrible play calling as well. There were shots to take downfield and with one of Iowa's best QB's we insist on running with 8/9 guys in the box.

Terrible play calling as well. There were shots to take downfield and with one of Iowa's best QB's we insist on running with 8/9 guys in the box.
There were no shots to be taken down the field. They loaded the box, but stayed 'high' in their zone. The openings were underneath and in the middle, and the few times they went there (crossing rte.- Kittle, snag- Vandeberg, dig- Smith[who dropped it], etc..) they were wide open. They should have been going there over and over until the LB's were forced to back up. So yes, play calling was not good, but not for the reason you believe.

There were no shots to be taken down the field. They loaded the box, but stayed 'high' in their zone. The openings were underneath and in the middle, and the few times they went there (crossing rte.- Kittle, snag- Vandeberg, dig- Smith[who dropped it], etc..) they were wide open. They should have been going there over and over until the LB's were forced to back up. So yes, play calling was not good, but not for the reason you believe.

How does one defend a qb withe a bad knee? Exactly the way NDSU did.

Ed Podalak said there were shots to be taken downfield so I'll take his word. Agree or not about that, play calling was atrocious and predictable, especially on our last 'drive'. New Kirk only lasted one year because that was vintage, 'play not to lose' football.

It shouldn't have mattered, Iowa should still have won this game, and it doesn't change the glaring problems on pass protection and depth issues and playcalling/philosophy...but...there's always a but...as with most games...2 plays were the difference in a 2 point loss and a 2 touchdown win....the pick 6 and the holding call on Kittle. Ugh.

Again, still doesn't hide the issues, and it shouldn't have mattered.
The most 'glaring' problem in pass protection was Daniels inability to pick up blitzers. Two huge plays for NDSU, the second being the last sack of the game, were the results of Daniel's gaffes. There is a reason Mitchell is in on 3rd downs, and we've seen it with both Wadley's and Daniel's poor blitz pick-ups. The hit and pick six I'm sure everyone wants to blame on Croston. But watch the play. Croston's 'man' loops to the inside and he passes him off to Myers exptecting Myers' 'man' to loop to the outside which would be his responsibility, but he doesn't loop to the outside, so Croston looks to the outside, but it's to late to get a hand on him (the 'crash' blitz from the left. The sent more people than we had blockers, and when that happens the extra rusher is the QB's responsibility and he has to 'beat' him, either going' hot' or just eluding him or throwing the ball away. But, CJ wasn't ready for the snap and it hits him in the stomach distracting him from his 'reads' and throwing him out of 'rhythm' (I think he wanted to throw a quick out, but by the time he got a 'handle' on things, the play wasn't there). So the play was 'blown-up' from the get go, so CJ needs to learn to just throw it away and not 'hold the ball' too long. If it wasn't for the bad snap, I think CJ would have seen or sensed the 'crash' (wide blitzer).

Jim Kramer - NDSU S&C coach. http://www.gobison.com/staff.aspx?staff=92

image_handler.aspx

One way to unload the box is to go 3, 4 or 5 wide. God forbid we ever consider that. I understand that our WR's are inexperienced, but if you cannot rely on a WR to run a route and catch a football, then you shouldn't have them on your team. And, if the Ferentz boys are so good at coaching the OL, why have we consistently been lacking in OL depth? Losing two starters is significant, but Iowa should be able to plug 2 different OL's in and not see such drop off.

Dude, the officiating was horrible, but Iowa's O line got knocked the fukked around all game.
5 can't block 7 and 6 can't block 8, my friend, so you better figure out a way to get them out of the box. Iowa didn't do that. I don't question the coaching often, but I will this time.....And I agree, the officiating was not the best......but you can't blame a loss on officiating, can you?

This wasn't even NDSU's best team either. They barely won their last two games prior to beating Iowa.

No way to spin this it was a terrible loss.

Latest posts