Phone scams

HerkyDude

I've got called twice in a week. A guy claimed to be customs agent said I was wanted for drug trafficking and wanted a credit card. The other one said she was with medicar

I used to get scam calls fairly frequently, and one time I got a call from "Amazon customer service", so, knowing it was a scam call, and by pre-arrangement, I passed the phone to my wife. She has a bit of a quirky sense of humor at times..............anyway, she started scolding the guy, who based on his speech mannerisms was likely from India. She laid into him for not sending a thank you note for the fruit cake she made for him, telling him his mother was very disappointed in his lack of manners and so on..........anyway, they guy was so confused he gave up and hung up on her.

Long story short, these scammers are trained for typical responses, such as anger, denial, etc. What they cannot handle is pure insanity.

We don't get many calls anymore, and when I do, I let my wife handle it. She is much better at crazy than I am........she is fairly spontaneous and comes up with some weird shit that I couldnt even think of in the spur of the moment. Probably cause I am a math guy and my brain tends to work logically, except in my Hawkeye game predictions........

I don't know how she stays in character cause the callers try to persist with their spiel but she does, and they just give up...........

It's been the National Police and Troopers spamming me. Now I'm a law and order guy but do cops need fundraising, even if semi-legit? Seems if budget cuts come around they're the last to suffer cutbacks unless it's some poor bastard who just got a patrol assignment coming out of the academy.

With it being so trendy to defund social appropriations, I'm surprised that spammers/scammers haven't taken up a "fundraiser" for social workers.

I wasted a lot of his time and then said mail me something. He passed and said I'm going to jail haha

Policemen’s Benevolent Society is a scam. They threaten me once more and they will hear from me on Facebook. You might be surprised how much Facebook posts get attention. Taken a couple of businesses to task. Interesting results.

Answering machine announces “spam risk” frequently. Phone does not even ring, just the message. Unknown Caller also a stopper, but of course you can miss some legit calls. They can buck up and leave a message. I am old and get plenty of attempts, but I am still pretty savvy. I talk to my kids frequently about the risks out there and that helps. Land lines are dirt cheap and you can get good protections free of charge. I rarely get spam stuff on my cell. Interesting.
use fed no call option. Good stuff.

Answering machine announces “spam risk” frequently. Phone does not even ring, just the message. Unknown Caller also a stopper, but of course you can miss some legit calls. They can buck up and leave a message. I am old and get plenty of attempts, but I am still pretty savvy. I talk to my kids frequently about the risks out there and that helps. Land lines are dirt cheap and you can get good protections free of charge. I rarely get spam stuff on my cell. Interesting.
use fed no call option. Good stuff.
Answering machine?

Lemme guess…

You ride a pennyfarthing and you’ve used a blunderbuss in a duel before…

If you don’t have an answering machine, you don’t know what you are missing.
I’ve never had a landline phone since I moved away from my parents at age 17. They have this new thing called voicemail. No machines required.

I’ve never had a landline phone since I moved away from my parents at age 17. They have this new thing called voicemail. No machines required.

Hey dingus, I know you're a millennial who doesn't know his elbows from his asshole, but without an answering machine how are you supposed to use the tape with epic pre-recorded songs for the message? You're too young to remember this awesome commercial:

1980s Crazy Calls Answering machine gag cassette. - YouTube

Hey dingus, I know you're a millennial who doesn't know his elbows from his asshole, but without an answering machine how are you supposed to use the tape with epic pre-recorded songs for the message? You're too young to remember this awesome commercial:

1980s Crazy Calls Answering machine gag cassette. - YouTube
I remember the first one we got when I was knee high. I can remember my mom doing multiple recording takes, each time having to hit the button, rewind, make sure the tape wasn't all the way wound back (it would chop off the first couple seconds if you did that), and then try it again. I also remember one time she was resetting it and I got cussed out because I ran in the garage door and made a bunch of noise and she had to start over. I was probably in 1st grade or something then and she's been dead now 12 years. Gawddam things were better back in the day all around.

We really hit the lottery a few years later and got a cordless phone with and answering machine BUILT IN. No tape. The phone was awesome. It had one of those 18" telescoping metal antennas that you could stop a robbery with. Other than not being OD green, if you were using one of those right now in public it'd look like you were on the back of a Bradley calling in a airstrike. They just made shit to last back then.

I remember the first one we got when I was knee high. I can remember my mom doing multiple recording takes, each time having to hit the button, rewind, make sure the tape wasn't all the way wound back (it would chop off the first couple seconds if you did that), and then try it again. I also remember one time she was resetting it and I got cussed out because I ran in the garage door and made a bunch of noise and she had to start over. I was probably in 1st grade or something then and she's been dead now 12 years. Gawddam things were better back in the day all around.

We really hit the lottery a few years later and got a cordless phone with and answering machine BUILT IN. No tape. The phone was awesome. It had one of those 18" telescoping metal antennas that you could stop a robbery with. Other than not being OD green, if you were using one of those right now in public it'd look like you were on the back of a Bradley calling in a airstrike. They just made shit to last back then.
I grew up in the 1970's - 1980's. We had the yellow banana corded phone on the wall. Anybody who grew up with their corded phone knows exactly how far in the house they could get while on the phone, especially women. No answering machine at all back then.

90% of what I do is on my I Phone. I like having a landline as well. Dirt cheap and performs well. Actually voices are more clear on my landline at times. As to voice mail, reading it is one way I can get a few laughs. And if you listen to the voice, it is a crap shoot if it’s clear.

90% of what I do is on my I Phone. I like having a landline as well. Dirt cheap and performs well. Actually voices are more clear on my landline at times. As to voice mail, reading it is one way I can get a few laughs. And if you listen to the voice, it is a crap shoot if it’s clear.

If you want a cheap phone system, get an Ooma phone. When we moved a a dozen years ago, we did away with the landline at our new house. But, our kids were just getting old enough we should have a landline because they didn't have cell phones at that point. I got the Ooma phone which just had to buy the hardware/phone. No monthly rental plan or nothing. At the time, all I had to pay was the monthly taxes which was less than $6-7. It worked flawlessly and had super clear sound. It was pretty much a landline but more importantly a second phone.

Also, you can port your existing phone number and use it so the transition was flawless. I literally paid $6 a month.

Now. That was funny. And, true.

Latest posts