Phil Steele’s In Season Big Ten Projection

Worst case we finish 4-1 versus: Minny, PSU, Indiana, NW, and the highly touted Purdue Boilermakers.

Even if MSU, MU and NU are all losses that is 4-4 in the BIG and 7-5 overall.

I could see us winning one of those big 3 and going 8-4.

Never say die!

1. I am curious about how Phil's latest (based on 3-games) projections compare with his preseason prognostication. Phil apparently does some major stat based projections in the preseason that are supposed to correlate well with actual post-season records. But if his preseason projections are toast already (i.e., differs from his latest numbers, it shows he is about as knowledgeable as the typical HN poster.)

2. As I recall, Phil's preseason projection of Iowa in 2010 turned out accurate, so I am inclined to take him seriously. That said, I still say Iowa does very well (double digit wins) this season. Injuries dished out by AIRBHG are infinitely absorb-able at Iowa, and we will weather passing-game woes. On a related note, I was on the ball in 2010 - anticipating a mediocre season due the loss of Spievey, Angerer/Edds, DJK, and a poor schedule setup. So perhaps despite Phil, there is hope yet :)

Whoa..he has Kansas State going 2-7 in the Big 12...ISU 1-8

Usually he knows his stuff, at least that's how it always seems to me. Is there any chance someone hacked into his server and put out bogus info? Some of those picks just seem really bizarre.

Phil Steele is no dope... BUT, I do NOT see us going 2-6 in the Big10...... NO WAY! 4-4...? Yep... JUST as I said would happen at the beginning of the year!!! We will LIMP into a Bowl Game, hopefully a team as UNDESERVING as us and go home with a win... Bowl Games are like zits; only the big ones count...

If history holds Iowa generally gets better as the season moves along. This is a young team that is building some experience. While the offense hasn't maxed it in the red zone, they at least get to it. Special teams to date have been faring well. The defense has performed better than expected and Iowa seems to be able to substitute and change defenses for down and distance.

While Steele could be proven right his projections include some results of real mismatches.

Latest posts