Phil Parker

Oh absolutely! So far what Phil has done especially with the injuries this year. IF we finish with 0 or 1 more loss this year KF should pay Phil a bonus out of his own pocket.

Hmm. The offense did nothing the last 2 games?? I am sure PP would tell you that when the O cranks out points like that it makes his job a lot easier. Special teams turnovers killed us against Wisconsin. Those will do it every time.

Anybody know how old Phil is? Is he content on just being a D coordinator or does he have aspirations of being a head coach? I wonder how many potential head coaches are currently on Ferentz's staff?

Anybody know how old Phil is? Is he content on just being a D coordinator or does he have aspirations of being a head coach? I wonder how many potential head coaches are currently on Ferentz's staff?

55 years (8 years younger than KF).

https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1413

If he wanted to be head coach anywhere else, he would have pursued that by now. I still think he would like to take a crack at Iowa head coach. I would love to see him get the opportunity for a 5-10 year tenure once KF steps down. Everyone assumes KF is trying to set everything up for Brian, but we also know KF is very loyal and no one has been with him longer than Parker.

I still can’t believe they sat back in coverage against that guy. Michigan blitzed the hell out of him and we saw the result. Sure, you might pay once, but over the course of a game he will crumble and he did at Michigan

I think a lot of their big plays in the passing game against us came against blitzes (don't have the numbers to back that up). Perhaps the issue is that we need to blitz more effectively, i.e. more creatively?

Or perhaps it was related to playing much of the game without CB#1, which moved our slot CB to his position, which moved an un-tested true Fr (Moss) into the slot CB position. We were probably hesitant to do much nickel or put the CBs in man for that reason. I think we are much more confident in nickel and in man now, and we actually play a lot of dime considering Hooker is playing the LEO (aka Star). Iowa blitzed 25% of defensive snaps vs. Indiana, which is up from their usual 15% or so.

If he wanted to be head coach anywhere else, he would have pursued that by now. I still think he would like to take a crack at Iowa head coach. I would love to see him get the opportunity for a 5-10 year tenure once KF steps down. Everyone assumes KF is trying to set everything up for Brian, but we also know KF is very loyal and no one has been with him longer than Parker.
I mean I don’t know their hiring dates, but Chris Doyle has been at Iowa since 1999 as well.

I think a lot of their big plays in the passing game against us came against blitzes (don't have the numbers to back that up). Perhaps the issue is that we need to blitz more effectively, i.e. more creatively?

Or perhaps it was related to playing much of the game without CB#1, which moved our slot CB to his position, which moved an un-tested true Fr (Moss) into the slot CB position. We were probably hesitant to do much nickel or put the CBs in man for that reason. I think we are much more confident in nickel and in man now, and we actually play a lot of dime considering Hooker is playing the LEO (aka Star). Iowa blitzed 25% of defensive snaps vs. Indiana, which is up from their usual 15% or so.

a very big point that Hankins went out with injury and it made for lots of shuffling.

and even in years passed Norm and Phil would not blitz even 10 %

former nfl player TV analyst mentioned a few years ago that even nfl qbs hate that quick blitz up middle like the A or Double gap blitz . so u know hornibrook woukd be thrown off.

i think Parker was first trying to stop wisky run game and they didnt give any huge runs but plenty of 5 yard runs to never get wisky in many 3rd and longs

Hmm. The offense did nothing the last 2 games?? I am sure PP would tell you that when the O cranks out points like that it makes his job a lot easier. Special teams turnovers killed us against Wisconsin. Those will do it every time.
True my point was that we've had to deal with a ton more injuries on D. When you don't have alot of depth it's tough to recover....I don't believe our Offense is 4th ranked in the country our D is.

True. But BF has been with KF longer. ;)

True my point was that we've had to deal with a ton more injuries on D. When you don't have alot of depth it's tough to recover....I don't believe our Offense is 4th ranked in the country our D is.

Sure but one helps the other. We are all surprised by the linebackers. There has been no drop off at all overall I'd say. Just hard to believe. Maybe the experienced D line helps that but they look great.

He played somewhere around the same time Chuck Long did I believe.
Correct, Michigan State (where Norm was on George Perles' staff) Phil, #32, wasn't on the field for Long's bootleg because MSU was in a goal line defense. If he is in there, maybe he has spy responsibility on the QB. Anyway, the player with the best shot of catching Long, #44, was blown up by the blocking back early in the play. You do see Phil early in the game frantically trying to chase down Robert Smith on a long (literally) TD pass.

Oh absolutely! So far what Phil has done especially with the injuries this year. IF we finish with 0 or 1 more loss this year KF should pay Phil a bonus out of his own pocket.

the versatility shown by Parker and Brian has been great... program changing great.

Latest posts