Petras

I can't add anything that hasn't already been stated in this thread so I will throw out the following:

FWIW, Petras is 17-7 as a starter.

Need to drive 80 yards in a minute to win or tie...I am not super confident he can get it done. Some will point to the end of the ISU game as evidence that he can...I need more than that clunky drive to prove he can do it.

Stating the obvious, they have to avoid double digit leads where they are chasing points. Other than OSU, they will avoid double digit leads, Petras just needs to continue to be a game manager and that will translate into 9-3/8-4 record.
Wow, you brought up the actual metric that matters. Thanks!

You don’t see our exact conversation regarding the Oline and their development and the teams left on our schedule? You are a true troll sir, kudos
InGoodCo I'm actually at a big loss here. I don't know what you are talking about.....but I certainly don't agree with the original stance you brought up using my name saying it came from me.....really I don't know how I was brought into this discussion as I don't agree with the stance.

I think this is the question and the true bar to kind of get a hint of what this team is going to do the rest of the year. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

I just luv when Iowa's D is on the field. Also, having a freak punter on the team is exciting. It's fun just watching those areas of the team and seeing how other teams deal with it.

I am old enough to remember Reggie Roby kicking the hell out of the football both in college and in the NFL. This kid we have now seems to have something special just like Reggie did.

Last edited:
With this defense, Iowa has a chance in every game. Football is a weird game at times. Not sure Michigan has really played anybody yet so some teams success can still be masked a bit this early in the season.

Yep and that’s what I am hoping. That we surprise them and take control of field position and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I know I gripe a lot but that is only because this is my team and has been for fifty-five years. That’s a long time to hope for a National Title. Now it seems like we are reduced to have to hope just for a conference title. That that seems like asking a lot. It may be a dream but I want to think that it could happen one day.

I am old enough to remember Reggie Roby kicking the hell out of the football both in college and in the NFL. This kid we have now seems to have something special just like Reggie did.

Reggie Roby from Waterloo, IA was probably one of the first Hawks I remember as a kid. He seemed to be known more for his booming high punts with the hang time. Punters now days are super skilled such as Taylor with the ability to do so many different kind of punts and pinning techniques depending on situations. Situational punting if you will. This now includes those roll out punts you see from time-to-time from the Aussie punters.

Roby was a phenom for the time, do doubt, but he wasn't as skilled as Taylor with situational punting of today.

4-2 since 2012 against top ten teams in Kinnick:

11-12-16 Michigan (2) W 14-13
9-3-17 Penn State (4) L 19-21
11-4-17 Ohio State (3) W 55-24
10-12-19 Penn State (10) L 12-17
11-16-19 Minnesota (7) W 23-19
10-9-21 Penn State (4) W 23-20

I’ll take 4-2 any day of the week. 5-2 will be even better. ;)

Iowa offensive woes are definitely not all on Petras.
Our running game is nothing to write home about either:

B10 Rushing Stats
2022 B10 rank: 14th 101 ypg
2021 B10 rank 11th 123 ypg
2020* B10 rank 6th 173 ypg
2019 B10 rank 8th 137 ypg

Not really a 'run first / ball control' program with those kind of numbers.
More of a 3 and out/ punt program!

Reggie was terrific. His weakness is that sometimes he outkicked the coverage for big returns. The Aussie has finesse. Could you imagine Tim Dwight returning one of Reggies punts that went beyond what the coverage could get to?

Last edited:
Yep and that’s what I am hoping. That we surprise them and take control of field position and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I know I gripe a lot but that is only because this is my team and has been for fifty-five years. That’s a long time to hope for a National Title. Now it seems like we are reduced to have to hope just for a conference title. That that seems like asking a lot. It may be a dream but I want to think that it could happen one day.
The part that drives me insane is they typically are within 3 players of a playoff team or better. It's not always the same position and the 3 players or so that are missing are just plain.... bad. That is consistent with KF. Last 2 years the main position is QB/line that is missing and receivers this year especially. Then the punter. Or what appears to be a better player that might drop a ball sitting on the bench. Over and Over.

There just aren't that many teams that are so close and can't find the replacement that isn't....just not P5 material.

OK Good, have at it.

We beat scUM. They play into our strengths. We do not let teams run. scUM like to run.. They have a young QB. We have an experienced DB.

This game is all on Petras. Simple as that. He performs and we win. He shits the bed we lose.

We beat scUM. They play into our strengths. We do not let teams run. scUM like to run.. They have a young QB. We have an experienced DB.

This game is all on Petras. Simple as that. He performs and we win. He shits the bed we lose.
Managing the game well likely doesn't beat M.

Making hard to make plays by taking risks is what it will take.

Reminds of a joke I heard many years ago.

Back in the day a traveling salesman was down south in a very rural area in the country.
Toward evening he is getting tired and there were no motels or hotels in the area. At his last stop he ask a backwoods farmer if he could stay the night.

The farmer says sure but you will have to share a bed with my son. He has a large bed so there should be room.

So that night he goes to lay down with the farmers son. The son ask the salesman what he used to do when he was younger and his age.

The salesman says I used to play football. The young farm boy ask what is football I have never heard of football before. The salesman says that’s a game we play up North.

So they are laying in bed together and the salesmen lets out a big fart. The farm boy sits up says what was that? The salesman says in football that means we scored a touchdown.

So the farm boy lays back down and the salesmen after a while cuts out another large fart. The farm boy sits up and says what was that? The salesmen says that means we scored another touch down.

Son the farm boy lays back down and after about five minutes the salesman goes to rip another large fart but instead he shits all over his side of the bed. The farm boy sits up and ask what does that mean in football? The salesman gets out of bed and says that means it’s half time and it’s time to change sides.

Got to give the guy credit when he deserves it. He managed that game well and actually made some really good throws Saturday. He's been beaten up by many this season and questioned. But, he made some impressive passes in tight windows. Good job young man.
BF, KF, and Petrus r going to look like a genius s against Rutgers, they're the Nevada of the Big 10..