Petras

I don't understand the snarkiness.
It's not personal. It can't be, because all of the posts are anonymous.

Rob Howe and the other writers on this board do a good job of trying to provide objective analysis about Iowa sports. To me, that is the true value of this board, not the anonymous posts by people who probably don't know any more about sports than you do. It's all in fun.

I am curious who pays for those special tutors and how much they cost.

I assume Petras and his family are probably paying for them. I can't see how Iowa could be paying for them, because I am guessing that would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Still, as already stated, its definitely a wise investment given Stanley's comments. I am just happy that Petras can afford it.
Petras’ dad is a retired radiologist. He probably has shoes that cost more than those private sessions.

The article stressed that the guru and Ken O’K are tight. Also, and I have never really thought about this, the guru talked about how much time coaches are forced to spend on scouting reports, specific game prep, offensive team work, and likely a host of other topics. So, his conclusion was that time spent on the most basic technicality’s like release, drop back, footwork suffer from a too busy schedule. Makes good sense. Probably what Nate referenced.

The article stressed that the guru and Ken O’K are tight. Also, and I have never really thought about this, the guru talked about how much time coaches are forced to spend on scouting reports, specific game prep, offensive team work, and likely a host of other topics. So, his conclusion was that time spent on the most basic technicality’s like release, drop back, footwork suffer from a too busy schedule. Makes good sense. Probably what Nate referenced.
Yeah last year there was a pretty good discussion on here about the limited time that QB coaches have with their QB's and that the basics like footwork and motion weren't really covered.

It is amazing that sometimes it just takes a couple tweaks on mechanics and footworks to markedly improve accuracy. Hell, some of it could be placebo effect. But hey, confidence is a huge part of being a successful QB. I am getting the feeling we will be pleasantly surprised by Pretras' play this year. Maybe not blown away, but he will surpass our collective expectations.

Yeah last year there was a pretty good discussion on here about the limited time that QB coaches have with their QB's and that the basics like footwork and motion weren't really covered.
One thing to remember is that if this external coaching is happening during Petras' college career, you can bet your asses KOK and Kurt Ferentz approve of what the guy teaches and how he trains.

If I'm a HC or OC and my quarterback tells me he's going to go get coached by a private trainer in the offseason, I'm gonna have a whole lotta questions and vetting out of this guy because I don't want my starter coming back to camp with some random screwball's bad habits.

So I saw on another site that Petras is out in NJ this week, getting personal instruction from the same QB guru that tutored Stanley prior to his draft day. And that Petras is expected to go back in July for more. I think this a positive development, especially following Stanley's comments after he left Iowa, saying something along the lines of 'coaches there never really had time to work with me on some of these things.' Good on Petras (and Iowa's coaches) for realizing he might as well get the help NOW rather than after he graduates.
I don't know why this did not occur to me earlier, but is the semester already over? Shouldn't Petras be in class this week?

I don't know why this did not occur to me earlier, but is the semester already over? Shouldn't Petras be in class this week?

Finals week. Lots of classes are testing virtually, so any exams he has could probably be completed from anywhere.

My assistant baseball coach is a college student at Iowa and he's been doing this whole semester remotely. We're 5 and a half hours away in NW Iowa.

He's actually hoping he gets the chance to go remotely next year so he can coach again.

As I recall from one of the "pods" (Miller and Co?), they thought the "gap" was much closer than they expected between Petras and Padilla. The verdict was that there is "no way" Petras doesn't start Indiana and that the coaches wouldn't throw Padilla out there at Jack Trice. If there is no reason for optimism after 0-2 his leash may only be as long as game three. I think I'm accurately relaying their discussion.

So I saw on another site that Petras is out in NJ this week, getting personal instruction from the same QB guru that tutored Stanley prior to his draft day. And that Petras is expected to go back in July for more. I think this a positive development, especially following Stanley's comments after he left Iowa, saying something along the lines of 'coaches there never really had time to work with me on some of these things.' Good on Petras (and Iowa's coaches) for realizing he might as well get the help NOW rather than after he graduates.

Every QB with the attributes to be drafted better be spending some dollars to work with a QB guru in the summer. Kids in high school or younger go to camps as their parents search for that schollie. You would expect that local high school coaches are not going to be the best qb teachers as it is a skill position and there are very minor movements etc that need to be fixed and refined.

This is his put up or shut up yr. He's really gotta hit the ground running or else the team won't do so hot and he may risk getting benched. I can't see the leash being as long as it was last yr. With some of the good things being mentioned about Padilla as well Petras can't have a slow/poor start he just can't. We were told when he was practicing with Stanley a couple yrs ago that he was physically a guy ready to go. He can sling it but his accuracy and the tempo of how hard he makes certain throws needed a lot of work. Hopefully he makes that leap. He's got some weapons to play with

I think it is crap to claim KOK is too busy to coach his QBs proper technique. He is not the OC, so he should not be spending time game planning. And, there is no game planning in the spring and Fall camp. I think this is a very poor excuse. My guess is that KOK is just not very good at teaching throwing techniques. And in fairness, these gurus get paid a lot of money to be good at a very narrow skill set. Sort of like a swing coach in golf. KOK is an OC masquerading as a QB coach.

Still, we either find a QB coach that can coach QBs, or we need to make this sort of tutoring the norm, and not the exception.

My assistant baseball coach is a college student at Iowa and he's been doing this whole semester remotely. We're 5 and a half hours away in NW Iowa.

He's actually hoping he gets the chance to go remotely next year so he can coach again.
NW Iowa. Mighty pretty country up there. That’s the home of the mooses and the meeces

As I recall from one of the "pods" (Miller and Co?), they thought the "gap" was much closer than they expected between Petras and Padilla. The verdict was that there is "no way" Petras doesn't start Indiana and that the coaches wouldn't throw Padilla out there at Jack Trice. If there is no reason for optimism after 0-2 his leash may only be as long as game three. I think I'm accurately relaying their discussion.

Do you know what podcast this was?