Petras

I

Ian Pike Hammer

We've got a pretty good idea that he has the tools; my question is he a leader?

Obviously, it's all speculation at this point, but, my prediction is that Petras will go down as one of the great Iowa QBs. I'll be shocked if he doesn't excel.

I've always been high on his potential. He's got a complete skillset, and, by all accounts, his teammates are really buying into him. He's not going to be perfect, but I look forward to his progression. This Iowa offense has a chance to be special.

Well...he likes the Dead...so that's a positive step for me. He's his own man and has some personality. The one thing I've heard and several people have confirmed is that he's accurate and has arm talent. Those two things are huge. Iowa is going to want to run the ball and keep the chains moving...and control the game as they always do...especially against a Purdue. Keeping Moore and Bell off the field is a good thing. First downs, first downs, first downs. Then the deep stuff opens up.

The one thing we don't know about Petras is how he handles the big stage, and how he handles it when guys come after him with the game on the line. We will start learning those things in two weeks. I'm excited to see what he can do.

One thing I always worry about is keeping him healthy. He doesn't have the look of someone who will be as durable as a Nathan Stanley. And in that light, I suppose it's just not going to happen that we keep a QB like Peyton Mansell in this day and age. But through the years, every back-up QB knew he was one play away from being in the game, maybe for the rest of the season. Our depth right now is SCARY-thin at that position. And let's not even talk if he, instead of getting injured, contracts COVID.

One thing I always worry about is keeping him healthy. He doesn't have the look of someone who will be as durable as a Nathan Stanley. And in that light, I suppose it's just not going to happen that we keep a QB like Peyton Mansell in this day and age. But through the years, every back-up QB knew he was one play away from being in the game, maybe for the rest of the season. Our depth right now is SCARY-thin at that position. And let's not even talk if he, instead of getting injured, contracts COVID.

Good points; where is Brad Banks when we need him? Since you brought it up, where is Nat Stanley?

Its just hard to tell until you see them play in a game.

I thought tyler Wiegers had all the tools, and a better personality than Stanley but his career went nowhere at Iowa. Even when Wiegers went to EMU as a grad transfer, he ended up losing his starting job to a sophomore by the end of season. You just never know.

There’s absolutely no way to even make an educated guess. No one here has seen the guy play. He’s got 25 yards spread over Middle Tennessee State, Miami (OH), and Buttgers.

No one knows what skills he has, or how he handles pressure. High school ain’t nationally televised Big Ten ball.

Guesses, yes...

It's fun conjecture. But for anyone saying they see this or that from Petras or feel he's this or that as a leader is full of it. it's also worth mentioning that the more hype there is about a player or a season in general, the worse it turns out. I'm gonna wait to see how it goes.

The Perfect nickname if things don't work out:
holding-smelly-sock-vector-1193040.jpg

Putrid. Let's hope not though and he can take full advantage of this receiving core this year.

I don't have a clue but I sure hope so. The coaches are all in with him and that's where we are. He's getting handed the keys to a pretty nice car and we get to see how well he can drive right away. What I'll find interesting will be the play calling and how BF tries to use him. Will he have the the same playbook we used against USC in our last game (which was pretty fun and successful) Or will it be a conservative watered down kind of game? I suspect the 'new Kirk' way of doing things may be here to stay and against Purdue who will be tough for us to slow down we'll have a pretty creative playbook going. That said they've fooled me into thinking that before too so regardless I can't wait to see