Petras

westender

One game to go yet this year, but next will be the new QB. I will say one thing in my observations of Petras on the sidelines during games, he is a lot more loose in behavior than Stanley ever was. Nate always seems a bit uptight or nervous, much less so this last year. Petras broke some of the high school records of Jared Goff of the LA Rams, so we shall see. Spencer will definitely have some good weapons at his disposal, including Goodson. Hopefully the O line holes will be filled quickly.

How quickly will people be yelling for Padilla or Hogan if Spencer gets out to a rocky start?

The hard part is that at least one (and maybe two) of the three will not be on the roster by August, so KF had better choose wisely. I'm hoping that Hogan comes in and blows both of them out of the water, but we'll see.

You forgot about Peyton Mansell.
My guess is he'll be hopping in the portal between now and shortly after the Bowl game... I would imagine a school closer to home in TX may be where he'll look. I could be full of spit but since he rode the pine all yr as #3 and most likely #2 going into the rest of his career.... It'd take a pretty confident kid to try try again if playing is his goal.

If KF started a true FR QB, it will be the most shocking development of his tenure as Iowa's coach.
Hogan isn’t enrolling early either, I think his school doesn’t allow it. I honestly think Hogan has a ways to go before he’d be ready at this level. Hogan has big time arm talent though. Just depends how Petras looks and if Hogan is okay sticking it out a few years.

Wisconsin fans were all in on Graham Mertz starting as a true freshman this year, and it sounds like he had his struggles in the spring and fall as an early enrollee.

It’s not an easy position to adjust from HS to college obviously.

My guess is he'll be hopping in the portal between now and shortly after the Bowl game... I would imagine a school closer to home in TX may be where he'll look. I could be full of spit but since he rode the pine all yr as #3 and most likely #2 going into the rest of his career.... It'd take a pretty confident kid to try try again if playing is his goal.

Yea, I was kind of wondering this as well.

Which means he ain’t playing.

Actually if he was the best passer too KF would play him like Banks, Tate, Stanzi. I thought Manzell looked a little uncomfortable when called upon last year.

But Geez I wish we could have seen Petras and least throw a few more passes this year as I know his high school film and stats looked great. And I hope Petras is just a bit quicker and faster than Nate.

Well the good news is that there is going to be some good competition. You about gotta go with the guy who can hit the long and intermediate throws. (All of them should be able to hit the short ones). Probably wouldn't hurt to hit the intermediate and short throws while moving.
We have the weapons to be explosive and really stress a defense. We need a qb who can get those weapons the ball.

I would say besides our stud DE and OT POSSIBLY coming back or not how Petras looks will be the #1 topic for us this off season. Breaking in a new & young QB is always interesting. With the receivers/weapons we'll have coming back what expectations are fair to heap upon him and the team?

For those of you with better memories then me think back to Stanleys first yr of playing and what weapons was he playin with and how well did he do? Would it be fair to hope Petras can match what Stanley did that season or should he match it/beat it with all the weapons we should have?

I akway felt BFs offense (when not taken back by KF) was built for a QB like Mansell. I really thought Mansell would have done some really good things. I felt like he would be another Stanzi, CJ type guy.

Actually if he was the best passer too KF would play him like Banks, Tate, Stanzi. I thought Manzell looked a little uncomfortable when called upon last year.

But Geez I wish we could have seen Petras and least throw a few more passes this year as I know his high school film and stats looked great. And I hope Petras is just a bit quicker and faster than Nate.
I don’t buy that Nate was the “best” passer on the squad. Best grasp of the playbook/game manager? Probably. Strongest arm? Probably that, too. “Best” (I’m taking this to mean something close to “most accurate”) I sure hope somebody is better, otherwise we’re in trouble going forward.

Latest posts