Petras

Hogan isn’t enrolling early either, I think his school doesn’t allow it. I honestly think Hogan has a ways to go before he’d be ready at this level. Hogan has big time arm talent though. Just depends how Petras looks and if Hogan is okay sticking it out a few years.

Wisconsin fans were all in on Graham Mertz starting as a true freshman this year, and it sounds like he had his struggles in the spring and fall as an early enrollee.

It’s not an easy position to adjust from HS to college obviously.

Especially since most HS QBs are almost never over center and only take snaps from the shotgun/pistol. A pro set QB needs to be able to handle snaps over center at least half the time. You see it in the NFL all the time, how QBs take a while to adjust to taking snaps over center.

Actually if he was the best passer too KF would play him like Banks, Tate, Stanzi. I thought Manzell looked a little uncomfortable when called upon last year.

But Geez I wish we could have seen Petras and least throw a few more passes this year as I know his high school film and stats looked great. And I hope Petras is just a bit quicker and faster than Nate.
Banks played behind mccann so...no. Lol

Banks played behind mccann so...no. Lol

What does that have to do with anything? Please tell me you are not trying to suggest that the coaches would over look a QB that can run now because McCann (who was a decent QB for Iowa in 2001) won the job over Banks 18 years ago. You can't be that fucking stupid considering the very next year Banks won the job over Nathan Chandler.

No one that is truly an Iowa fan could be that friggin stupid. So please explain what you are suggesting.

One game to go yet this year, but next will be the new QB. I will say one thing in my observations of Petras on the sidelines during games, he is a lot more loose in behavior than Stanley ever was. Nate always seems a bit uptight or nervous, much less so this last year. Petras broke some of the high school records of Jared Goff of the LA Rams, so we shall see. Spencer will definitely have some good weapons at his disposal, including Goodson. Hopefully the O line holes will be filled quickly.

How quickly will people be yelling for Padilla or Hogan if Spencer gets out to a rocky start?
I hope the coaches decide on the most talented option...and can figure out how to use his talents. That is the bigger hurdle.

Will be good to have Banwart back on the line, assume as the guard spot vacated by Paulsen.
I’m thinking Britt will be the number one option at guard next year. Then I would guess Schott at RG but we will see. Barnwart has been serviceable but not great. Keep your eyes out for Tyler Elsbury, I wouldn’t be shocked if he played next year.

I wonder if Barnwart would be an option at RT if both Wirfs and Jackson go. Barnwart is listed at 6’4/300. Plumb is undersized. I wonder how Ezra Miller has looked.

Gonna be a tough schedule relatively with a new QB.

Sep. 5 Northern Iowa Panthers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Sep. 12 Iowa State Cyclones Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Sep. 19 at Minnesota Golden Gophers TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Saturday
Sep. 26 NIU Huskies Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Oct. 3 Michigan State Spartans Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Oct. 10 at Ohio State Buckeyes Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
Saturday
Oct. 17 at Penn State Nittany Lions Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA
Saturday
Oct. 24 Northwestern Wildcats(HC) Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday

Oct. 31 OFF
Saturday
Nov. 7 at Illinois Fighting Illini Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL
Saturday
Nov. 14 Nebraska Cornhuskers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Nov. 21 at Purdue Boilermakers Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN
Saturday
Nov. 28 Wisconsin Badgers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA

If we can get a QB who completes over 60% of his passes I think the offense will make strides (maybe bump from 100s to the upper 80s....which probably wins the division this year).

Stanley was all over the place with his accuracy. Take the final drive against Nebraska, two to three of the best throws he's made all year. The pass to Ragini was perfectly thrown. Flew over 30 yards, had touch....

Pass to ISM was on the $$ too.

Then the pass to LaPorta was a bullet down the middle of the field and hit him right in the numbers. Those two passes cannot be defended.

But then he'd have the other 35 throws in the game that were 10' over a WR head, behind his WR so they had to slow down and make a tough catch, or at their feet where again the WR had to drop down and eliminate any yards after catch.

If any of our QBs next year can hit the EASY passes at a high percentage, and the medium to deep passes just better than Stanley it'll open the offense up.

Oh, and a play-maker. For Iowa to win the division we need that "it" factor leading the offense.

If we can get a QB who completes over 60% of his passes I think the offense will make strides (maybe bump from 100s to the upper 80s....which probably wins the division this year).

Stanley was all over the place with his accuracy. Take the final drive against Nebraska, two to three of the best throws he's made all year. The pass to Ragini was perfectly thrown. Flew over 30 yards, had touch....

Then the pass to LaPorta was a bullet down the middle of the field and hit him right in the numbers. Those two passes cannot be defended.

But then he'd have the other 35 throws in the game that were 10' over a WR head, behind his WR so they had to slow down and make a tough catch, or at their feet where again the WR had to drop down and eliminate any yards after catch.

If any of our QBs next year can hit the EASY passes at a high percentage, and the medium to deep passes just better than Stanley it'll open the offense up.

Oh, and a play-maker. For Iowa to win the division we need that "it" factor leading the offense.

He had two $$ shots to Tracy also but he had the dropsies.

And how about Nate's wheels on that reverse and mostly keeping up with ISM.

I think Mansell transfers. However, Padilla and Hogan are no slouches. Both had Georgia offers.

i liked padilla's video a lot. hard to say if he's mobile as he was playing with a knee brace and recovering from a torn knee. but if all things are equal, i'd like a guy with mobility. having said that, to be fair and honest, if stanley had been even just avg or slightly above on his deep throws, he'd have been a historic qb at iowa, moreso, than he already is. if petras can make those throws, then just think of the missed opportunities there were with stanley that may not exist with petras.

Gonna be a tough schedule relatively with a new QB.

Sep. 5 Northern Iowa Panthers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Sep. 12 Iowa State Cyclones Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Sep. 19 at Minnesota Golden Gophers TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Saturday
Sep. 26 NIU Huskies Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Oct. 3 Michigan State Spartans Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Oct. 10 at Ohio State Buckeyes Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
Saturday
Oct. 17 at Penn State Nittany Lions Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA
Saturday
Oct. 24 Northwestern Wildcats(HC) Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday

Oct. 31 OFF
Saturday
Nov. 7 at Illinois Fighting Illini Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL
Saturday
Nov. 14 Nebraska Cornhuskers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Saturday
Nov. 21 at Purdue Boilermakers Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN
Saturday
Nov. 28 Wisconsin Badgers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA

6-6 and Quick Lane then expect a big 2021?

Not very accurate, not much touch, and his passes that are on target tend to be difficult to catch, + panic in the pocket...but a gun for an arm and tall and big...potential. Hope he becomes a star in the NFL...hidden gem! Will elite QB coaching make him what he hasn't been able to be?

6-6 and Quick Lane then expect a big 2021?
Depends who comes back. We could easily be 9-3 if our QB does at least as well as Stanley. Goodson all year, more experienced receivers and o-line if Worfs comes back. Defense should still be pretty solid.

It would be nice to have a guy that can move a little. I don't think any of the others are very mobile. But the best thrower is gonna win.

Best game manager is going to win - the guy who follows the system, regardless of overall ability. Playmakers need not apply here

Latest posts