Petras(while still has work to do) looked like a different QB tonight.

Scott Leclair

with Keegan, Nico,Brody and Gavin back Petras didn’t look half bad! Dropping in some nice passes. WR dropped 2 sure thing TDs. WRs and TEs also dropped some decent passes.(hope it’s just rust). Biggest concern is the OL. They get manhandled all night. Petras had no time to throw and there were very limited holes for the RB.

Idk. There were some decent passes and, yes some potential TD passes that were dropped, but...

The 1 TD pass he actually had was overthrown, the WR was wide open and the WR still had to leap for it. Another drive Petras overthrew the WR in end zone that could have been an easy TD.

So I am not sure if I saw enough to justify Petras getting 100% of the snaps. But I will concede it was an improvement.

So I am not sure if I saw enough to justify Petras getting 100% of the snaps. But I will concede it was an improvement.

Thee first one to Bruce wasn't all that great. Bruce made the catch, he gets the gold star. Petras gets the TD, but it wasn't like he dropped it on a dime. Maybe a dime that had been squished on the railroad tracks.

The long completion to Ragaini at the 12:54 mark (AM, not in the quarter) was an INT. Regaini just took it out of the defender's hands.

Also, he did tuck and run with it early in the game and slid when he could have gone OOB for another +2

If this had been against ISU, he would have looked "OK"

He contributed to the in. Passing grade. Extra for not totally sucking. And no INTs...that imbaware of. I was fading in and out late in the 4th. Give him a C+.

Yay. A C+ against Nevada.

Live Petras was much the same, He almost blew the shot to Bruce, he made a great catch. His deep balls were consistently over or under thrown. Brecht would have had to make two circus catches to haul in either one and he had his man beat both times by 5 feet. The deep ball to Nico should have been an int. Gavin and Bruce were the difference in the game, plus the Pack doing nothing against the D. Fool’s gold. Petras was calmer in the pocket and improved on his short passes. O-line was manhandled on many plays. That’s tough to see with one of the worst Dlines in D1. Like I posted earlier, I was 100% certain no other QB is going to get a snap, even in a 27 to 0 game, and I was right. Nothing short of a injury is going to get us a look at a back-up. At least Brian opened up the deep ball, that was the only encouraging thing about this game Offensively, and Gavin.

Last edited:
Live Petras was much the same, He almost blew the shot to Bruce, he made a great catch. His deep balls were consistently over or under thrown. Brecht would have had to make two circus catches to haul in either one and he had his man beat both times by 5 feet. The deep ball to Nico should have been an int. Gavin and Bruce were the difference in the game, plus the Pack doing nothing against the D. Fool’s gold. Petras was calmer in the pocket and improved on his short passes. O-line was manhandled on many plays. That’s tough to see with one of the worst Dlines in D1. Like I posted earlier, I was 100% certain no other QB is going to get a snap, even in a 27 to 0 game, and I was right. Nothing short of a injury is going to get us a look at a back-up. At least Brian opened up the deep ball, that was the only encouraging thing about this game Offensively, and Gavin.
Are you talking about Gavin Williams or Kaleb Johnson? It seems to me that Kaleb's two long runs were pretty important, especially the first one where he refused to be tackled.

No Petras did not move forward. Nevada was a mess on coverage.

Johnson about the only bright spot. Has some moves.

It was a good showing against a horrible team. This offense is going to have to make baby steps, doing it against a shit defense is a start. Do it again next week.

Agree that Kaleb Johnson was the one thing that came out of the game that gives me hope. Nothing else inspired me to think Iowa's offense has the potential to make big improvements in conference play.

At this stage it's more about if the OL can improve. Give Petras time and he settles down.........If not, he moves into hyper mode and set off his panic buttons........overthrows, fastballs on short patterns, indecision, etc.

The return of WR weapons helps but in my opinion it's still OL protection for him. No wonder he looks better in practice ........he probably has a red jersey on is "hands off" the majority of time.

-ioVM1.gif

We did not learn much from this game....maybe found a place-kicker and a few more targets for Petras to overthrow against a good team.

Idk. There were some decent passes and, yes some potential TD passes that were dropped, but...

The 1 TD pass he actually had was overthrown, the WR was wide open and the WR still had to leap for it. Another drive Petras overthrew the WR in end zone that could have been an easy TD.

If you take a good look at numerous deep throws, overthrows are common. College or pro, they are common. Kind of like looking for walleyes with electronics: The “cone” is very narrow. Yes. We need to get better. Both receivers and QB. It is not like long TD passes are frequent, right?

34.6 QBR, right? No, he did not look like another QB. He just looked like last year Petras.

I think he had a 53% completion rate. But hey, they let him throw some jump balls deep and our receivers caught or prevented ints with them. So maybe we can move the ball for more than 3 plays at a time.

with Keegan, Nico,Brody and Gavin back Petras didn’t look half bad! Dropping in some nice passes. WR dropped 2 sure thing TDs. WRs and TEs also dropped some decent passes.(hope it’s just rust). Biggest concern is the OL. They get manhandled all night. Petras had no time to throw and there were very limited holes for the RB.
Don't drink the cool aid on this team because Nevada stinks.. it all about conference wins... BF and KF r the ones makings decisions.. Petrus is just doing what he's told.. He just doesn't have it.. The other QB s should hit the transfer portal.. writing on the wall guys..

Latest posts