Petras to USU

Zstatman

I saw a tweet stating that Spencer Petras has committed to the Utah St football program of the Mountain West Conference.

Still trying to get my head around how Petras could still have a year of elligibility left. But I guess he was not officially on any roster in 2023, so that year must not count. Throw in an extra year for Covid and voila! Petras gets a 7th season. Hope it all works out for him.

SP was a paid employee for Iowa in '23, so it didn't count against his eligibility. It also meant he couldn't play for the Hawkeyes again.

Wish him nothing but the best. One of the nicest student-athletes I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know.

He answered more questions about offensive struggles for two seasons than the coordinator did. Every week, there he was.

SP was a paid employee for Iowa in '23, so it didn't count against his eligibility. It also meant he couldn't play for the Hawkeyes again.

Wish him nothing but the best. One of the nicest student-athletes I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know.

He answered more questions about offensive struggles for two seasons than the coordinator did. Every week, there he was.
I didn't realize he was paid to be on staff... How's that work? Has anyone been a paid staff member of a school and then go back to being a student athlete on scholarship somewhere else?

Last year Utah State averaged 446 yds/game, and they scored 34 pts/game. Passed for 260 per game with 33 TDs. They return their top 3 passers:

A senior using his COVID year who has started the past 2 years.

A rising soph who they thought enough of to give 147 passing attempt this year as a freshman.

A rising junior named Levi Williams who looks like a William Levis clone (bizzaro Will Levis?) and who accounted for 350 yds (200 passing, 150 rushing) and 5 TDs in their season finale this year.

Petras picked an interesting destination, definitely not a situation where he would expect to just walk in and be handed the job. As an aspiring coach, I wonder if he just loved the offensive system and wanted to learn while having a chance to compete? It would be awesome if he just lit it up there, throwing for 3500 and 30+ TDs...like Andy Dufresne crawling through 500 yards of shit-smelling foulness to finally reach freedom.

Last edited:

I appreciate the fact that you took time to post your thoughts on Spencer.

Agreed, I wish him the very best also.

Last year Utah State averaged 446 yds/game, and they scored 34 pts/game. Passed for 260 per game with 33 TDs. They return their top 3 passers:

A rising soph who they thought enough of to give 147 passing attempt this year as a freshman.

A rising junior named Levi Williams who looks like a William Levis clone (bizzaro Will Levis?) and who accounted for 350 yds (200 passing, 150 rushing) and 5 TDs in their season finale this year.

Petras picked an interesting destination, definitely not a situation where he would expect to just walk in and be handed the job. As an aspiring coach, I wonder if he just loved the offensive system and wanted to learn while having a chance to compete? It would be awesome if he just lit it up there, throwing for 3500 and 30+ TDs...like Andy Dufresne crawling through 500 yards of shit-smelling foulness to finally reach freedom.

The Bizarro Jerry | Seinfeld | TBS on Make a GIF

Watch Out, Lads

This is getting Weird

That is an interesting choice. Doesn't look like there's immediate playing time in the cards. Wonder why he chose USU?

That is an interesting choice. Doesn't look like there's immediate playing time in the cards. Wonder why he chose USU?
I don't know. Sounds like the USU coach tried 3 different QB's and was not entirely happy with any of them. Now one of them is off to the Navy Seals.

I guess the real question is what version of Petras will they get? Is his shoulder back to normal? Can he still throw a deep ball? (I know some will say he never was an accurate thrower or had any touch in the first place).

But I would say if he can't throw anymore, then he is nothing more than a glorified QB coach on scholarship, maybe he is auditioning for real coaching job in the future.

Latest posts