Petras pass at 9:47 of 1st qtr last week, missed a breaking open receiver for big play

uihawk82

I am beginning to wonder if the Ferentzes have Petras on somewhat of a leash telling him not to hold the ball too long or improvise and go with the primary receiver.

If you have this play on tape watch it and there are a lot of plays like this in many of the games. Otherwise I will describe it. First play of 2nd hawk drive against nebby with ball at the iowa 45.

Three wideouts, two on a left tracy in the slot left, one split out on right looks like Ragaini with a fullback and tailback. At snap their is playaction and Petras drops back and he is under no pressure. Tracy is coming on a crossing pattern while the corner tries to jam Ragaini or whoever is split to the right. The corner crosses up his own feet and gets a bit of a jam but then Ragaini starts racing downfield down the numbers near the sideline.

Tracy, crossing left to right, gets just behind and splits a couple lbkrs and their deep safety takes a look at tracy and then looks and half steps toward Ragaini.

Ragaini is blowing by the safety and IS open and going to be more open for a nice lofted pass maybe for a TD. Petras tries to fit the ball between the lbkrs and it is a tight window and an incompletion. Another 1/2 second and Ragaini is gone (although he wasnt looking back yet).

These are the types of open receivers I see quite often and I sure hope there is some QB coaching to lift Petras to seeing these things.

I am beginning to wonder if the Ferentzes have Petras on somewhat of a leash telling him not to hold the ball too long or improvise and go with the primary receiver.
The Ferentzes aren't telling him anything. Brian should be putting the book together for the week and Kirk should be meeting with Brain and Fill Parkour.

Ken Keefe is the one working with Petras. Kirk would I'm sure be the first person to tell you he doesn't know dick about QB mechanics and reads.

When Petras throws in ryhtym to his first read he tends to throw a strong and accurate ball. When he has to move through his progressions, or god forbid improvise, he is pretty bad. I assume he will get better with his feet and reads as he moves through progressions. That usually gets better with reps. I am not sure he will improve on improvising. To me, either you have that ability or you don't. I miss Drew Tate more and more every year......

When Petras throws in ryhtym to his first read he tends to throw a strong and accurate ball. When he has to move through his progressions, or god forbid improvise, he is pretty bad. I assume he will get better with his feet and reads as he moves through progressions. That usually gets better with reps. I am not sure he will improve on improvising. To me, either you have that ability or you don't. I miss Drew Tate more and more every year......
Man wouldn't it be nice if KOK would retire so Mr Tate could come back and coach our Qbs... He's been coaching I believe and I couldn't think of a better fit for us then that.

Man wouldn't it be nice if KOK would retire so Mr Tate could come back and coach our Qbs... He's been coaching I believe and I couldn't think of a better fit for us then that.

That is as preposterous as that punk Johnny Lawrence trying to reinvigorate Cobra Kai. It would be a disaster. The brand would be destroyed. You can't let some hot head take over an organization just because he was good as a participant over a decade ago.

That is as preposterous as that punk Johnny Lawrence trying to reinvigorate Cobra Kai. It would be a disaster. The brand would be destroyed. You can't let some hot head take over an organization just because he was good as a participant over a decade ago.
Can't tell if you're being totally facetious or not but it feels like it. I should look up where it is Drew is coaching now. I wanna say closer to home in Texas but I could be wrong about that and I'm not sure at what level he is either. He's obviously not the same kid he was back then. I would bet he'd be a great QB coach if given a chance. I think the KOK return has been played out. BF is still all over the place with his game plans and play calling. One game he's hitting on everything like against USC. Then another he can't get a damn first down against Purdue it doesn't seem like. If that's KOKs impact then it may be time for some new blood.

For whatever it's worth in terms of QB's & coaching:
Last 8 yrs of in Iowa program
Stanley (Vikings practice squad = $8400/wk)
Beathard (49ers active, career = $2.6M - ish)
Rudock (5yrs+, active & practice career = almost $3M)

Yes, Rudock finished at Michigan... but I believe only 3 other Big10 schools can claim this for last 3 QB's.
Someone must be something correct.

The decision made by many at HN is that O’Keefe is incompetent as a QB coach. So a long term career coach, who has operated at various levels, including the Power 5 and the NFL, who is deeply familiar with the Iowa program, has coached a variety of positions, has been an OC, and has one basic responsibility, does not know what he is doing. Do you know how dumb that incompetency charge by a bunch of HN posters sounds? Come on.

Yes, Rudock finished at Michigan... but I believe only 3 other Big10 schools can claim this for last 3 QB's.
I brought up this point on another thread and was told that the OP "couldn't care who was holding clipboards at the next level."

Petras certainly does not look to be in line to follow in the footsteps of those three, but who knows how he develops with a normal off-season. And Ferentz has replaced upperclassman QBs in recent memory - unlike other programs, he doesn't do so on a whim (Purdue, Michigan, and Nebraska come to mind).

A historically poor passing offense is more on terrible WR development and inconsistency in the run game than QB play. Under Ferentz Iowa has had what, like one WR drafted? That is horrible for a position which usually has 3-4 recruits per draft, plus contributions from walk-ons.

Good points and guess what, all three of those formers hawks played about 36+ games as a starter in college minus injuries.

Spencer Petras is on game #7 without any spring and august camps and practice. If Petras keeps getting a little better every few games he will be at least above average. sort of average right now

Just saw this comparison. Also, they are tied with 4 wins in these seasons.

EoCpHClWEAEzmiw

Besides being extremely slow of foot, staring down receivers, not working thru progressions and missing open guys, and have no accuracy or touch, Petras is a tremendous quarterback.
That sums it up - but you missed the part about the great job of plowing in for the 3rd and 1 for the first down - and handing the ball off - and catching the center snap when in shot gun despite all the clapping.

He's going to miss a lot. Some of it's because he has basically lost a spring and summer. Iowa's going to suffer some bumps and bruises because of his lack of experience. The sad part is that next year he'll be better but Iowa will be missing a lot of pieces.

Latest posts