Petras and Mansell next year

It looks like Petras is going to get the job, but by all accounts he is a lot like Stanley in being not very mobile with a big arm. So what do you all think about the coaches making a wildcat package with Mansell that can be used in short yardage and red zone situations? Could he pull it off? Or what about the Padilla kid?

Banks
Stanzi
CJB

Under KF they were the only ones that got “packages”. Translation: Petras would have to struggle big time or Padilla/Mansell play was so exceptional that you had to get them on the field.

If the coaches like the idea of using Mansel in a wildcat package, they could have easily been doing that already in 2018 or 2019.

I think it would be a good idea to install some read option packages using Mansell 5-10 plays a game. Mansell would only need to know maybe 5 plays, that he knew really well from excessive practice , to give the defense fits. Nebraska played 3 QBs against us, each had their own packages, and it kinda worked for one of their TDs at least with McCaffrey.

I think it would be a good idea to install some read option packages using Mansell 5-10 plays a game. Mansell would only need to know maybe 5 plays, that he knew really well from excessive practice , to give the defense fits. Nebraska played 3 QBs against us, each had their own packages, and it kinda worked for one of their TDs at least with McCaffrey.
It kinda worked because their entire offensive line was 5 yards downfield.

Such a novel idea playing more than one qb in a game. It is like KF thinks there is a rule against it like the pitcher in baseball so that he thinks if you take Nate out he cant play any more that game.

I think with Brad Banks getting a fair number of snaps his junior year really helped him his senior year. I would say it is somewhat of a fail that Petras or whoever will start next year with no meaningful snaps.

It looks like Petras is going to get the job, but by all accounts he is a lot like Stanley in being not very mobile with a big arm. So what do you all think about the coaches making a wildcat package with Mansell that can be used in short yardage and red zone situations? Could he pull it off? Or what about the Padilla kid?
Is it really a wildcat package if the QB position is actually manned by a QB?

wildcat, except with an a actual playmaker like Tyrone Tracy or Goodson getting the snap.

Lol, you guys are talking about the Iowa non-offense???You might as well be talking about cars rusting.

I am sure that there are a few that have fantasies of Brian being this great offensive guru who one day will take over the Iowa program when papa leaves and show ole pops how an offense is suppose to be run. Then again these same people probably believe in Santa Clause or that Donald Trump is a virtuous moral person. :p

I hate that they bi-passed Mansell. I've said it before and I will keep saying, what I feel like what BF wants to do is exactly what Mansell is built to do. I feel like this is a huge missed opportunity.
I’ve heard this before and I’m wondering where it comes from? What gives someone the belief that BF wants a running QB? I mean technically he’s a disciple of the Patriots who have had the least mobile QB in the NFL for many years. Iowa runs a pro style offense with a couple wrinkles. If Petras is the guy following Stanley it’s pretty apparent they want big arm QBs. So again where is this belief that they want a running QB coming from?

If Stanley was more accurate, he would have ended up being a top 3 qb in iowa history. Being like Stanley isn't a bad thing unless you're comparing accuracy.