Peterson: Ferentz annoyed by questions.

Please, please, please for the love of God, tell me you just watch Iowa and have no idea how other coaches talk or act. Please because I am losing all hope in people’s ability to critically evaluate anything outside of their own yard.

I’ll tell you this…..most of the high energy, successful people I know. If they were continually asked, without merit, for info that was NOT public knowledge did NOT pertain to football and the immediate team (i/e: not giving the other team an advantage) you’d draw back a bloody stump.

Heck I can be a tick surly when questioned period and so can my boss and MOST of my best employees and we are quite successful, so I honestly have to question either the honesty of those who have issues with it, or their drive at the least.

Why on earth should I have to go out and actively evaluate or care about another program in order to understand mine? I tend to only care about things in my back yard so to speak. I do watch Iowa football its the only sport/team I follow 365 days a year. I dont care how other coaches act and represent their programs. I care about Iowa football and our coach is a bit of a jerk at times and it trickles down hill is all I'm saying. I do agree being asked questions you dont want to answer or have the answer to can be annoying but if I acted that way to my boss/peers while represting where I work....I know I wouldnt just get a few giggles, Id be accountable and in trouble of some sort.

Please stop................Big Bill has his detractors AND he is HARDLY the poster child for surly behavior behind a mic. I know that runs contrary to your argument, but KF is pretty typical of a head coach being questioned. Anything else of enlightenment you’d be able to add…..

Belichick is certainly known for being arrogant and the poster child for being surly with the media, to say other wise is just ignorant.

I think it's fair to criticize KF about the on-field performance, but to claim he is arrogant is ridiculous, IMO. I have lived in Big12 territory (Texas), SEC territory (Atlanta), and Big10 territory (Iowa and Michigan) and I follow college football pretty closely. KF is relatively tame in comparison to what I've seen from his peers in responding to the press.

Here's an example. I live in Atlanta now and there are two large sports talk stations. These stations have SEC and ACC coaches on all the time. When Iowa played against GA Tech in the Orange Bowl, KF was on both stations. The hosts for both shows were complimentary towards KF in how his interviews compared to the typical ones they have with ACC and SEC coaches.

Please leave.....this isn't congruent with what the critics want people to believe. They want everyone to think it’s just KF and no one else does interviews like this. You are ruining their rant…..:D

I know you are being sarcastic but you've clearly never dealt with the media. I've spent a good deal of time managing the media and I'll never take anything at 100% face value again.
Sorry for you. I know there are good and reliable media outlets out there, but most of the time it just leads to trouble, IMO.

Why on earth should I have to go out and actively evaluate or care about another program in order to understand mine? I tend to only care about things in my back yard so to speak.
For this particular topic, your "back yard" is not much different from most of your neighbors. If KF were gone, which seems to be your wish, chances are pretty good that his replacement would be just as arrogant, if not more so, in dealing with the media.

At what? Belichick is not none for being arrogant with the media? You're fighting a losing argument here Chad.

As a general rule when someone has to explain something like this to you, it really kind of falls into the “why bother categoryâ€￾. Yes Bill is most assuredly a charter member of the surly club, but when you say he is hardly a “posterâ€￾ child, it infers yes Bill can be an arse, but he is in a very long and distinguished club….?!?!Okay….!?

I thought his comment was actually pretty funny -- considering it came from Kirk ... Kirk is no different than any other head coach when it comes to getting frustrated with rumors, etc. That being said ... he shouldn't always take the high road ... Because if indeed McCall is leaving and if indeed a player was "sent home" then it should be addressed ... Kirk is fortunate he is not a CEO ... He would not be able to rely on his sarcastic or short remarks ...

For this particular topic, your "back yard" is not much different from most of your neighbors. If KF were gone, which seems to be your wish, chances are pretty good that his replacement would be just as arrogant, if not more so, in dealing with the media.

That is very possible indeed, as for wanting him gone its not exactly my wish if he were to leave I wouldnt be heart broke but the closest thing to my back yard is ISU and they seem to have a coach who likes talking to the media and understands the media have a job to uncover and ask about issues. Its a tough business to be in but its also a hell of a lot better one to be in then punching a clock 5 days a week and KF and others as well could use some reminding of that at times, and when they get up there and speak down to people how on earth should that or could that make fans happy?

I thought his comment was actually pretty funny -- considering it came from Kirk ... Kirk is no different than any other head coach when it comes to getting frustrated with rumors, etc. That being said ... he shouldn't always take the high road ... Because if indeed McCall is leaving and if indeed a player was "sent home" then it should be addressed ... Kirk is fortunate he is not a CEO ... He would not be able to rely on his sarcastic or short remarks ...

Actually, this isn't true....sarcasm is alive and well in upper management.

That is very possible indeed, as for wanting him gone its not exactly my wish if he were to leave I wouldnt be heart broke but the closest thing to my back yard is ISU and they seem to have a coach who likes talking to the media and understands the media have a job to uncover and ask about issues. Its a tough business to be in but its also a hell of a lot better one to be in then punching a clock 5 days a week and KF and others as well could use some reminding of that at times, and when they get up there and speak down to people how on earth should that or could that make fans happy?

FWIW....many of us atren't and many, maybe most fans aren't to bothered by their coaches. There is a certain sect that always seems to be though.

FWIW....many of us atren't and many, maybe most fans aren't to bothered by their coaches. There is a certain sect that always seems to be though.

Well to me its a team thing and the coach is a part of the team and if he has such a problem with players saying stupid stuff maybe he should lead by example.

Well to me its a team thing and the coach is a part of the team and if he has such a problem with players saying stupid stuff maybe he should lead by example.

I agree its a team thing...I imagine that's where our line of agreement ends though.

Gee, for a bunch of people wanting a man to show emotion, they sure get ****** off when he shows said emotion. If I didn't know better, I'd say this message board was ihavehemorrhoids.com rather than hawkeyenation.com

I swear that KF has become for some on here like a pol running for re-election,like the President,and every fricking utterance becomes fodder for partisan hacks to parse on these boards.

KF's handling of the press is just fine by me. He is trying to win a bowl game,and they are trying to feed off rumor-mongering to egg him into giving them quotes.

I swear that KF has become for some on here like a pol running for re-election,like the President,and every fricking utterance becomes fodder for partisan hacks to parse on these boards. KF's handling of the press is just fine by me. He is trying to win a bowl game,and they are trying to feed off rumor-mongering to egg him into giving them quotes.

Agreed HN is starting to get insane...

Latest posts