Peter Jok

RobHowe

Administrator
Not a lot of news out there right now.

Quite a few players that weren't invited to the combine have said they're going back to school.

Poked around a little and heard from a few sources that Peter still is going through the process. He's conducted one workout with a team from the Southwest Division and performed well, I'm told. I've heard he has three more workouts scheduled to this point and there could end up being more once NBA personnel get back to their cities from this weekend's combine.

I'd say there's still a good chance that Peter returns for his senior season, but it's not yet been decided.

May 25th is the deadline for him to withdraw from the NBA Draft and be able to return to Iowa.

Hope he's been doing the schoolwork, though I have no reason to think he hasn't been. That would play a role I would think.

He's made incremental progress each year so I would think if he comes back and makes the same amount of progress in his game he's made the last two years, he'd have a shot to be drafted in 2017.

Watching last nights game I kept envisioning Jok on Golden State. I think he could develop real nicely there, but then again who couldn't. That all can wait till next year though.

As an Iowa fan I want him to come back as the team will really need him. As far as what is best for his NBA hopes are concerned, well that is debatable. If a few players step up this upcoming season and the team is much more successful that what was expected and Peter has a great year, well then his stock will soar. On the other hand if Iowa struggles and has a poor season it COULD possibly adversely affect his standing as a NBA draft candidate.

If Jok feels confident that he will get drafted and make a team then it would be foolish for him to stay. I doubt he will go unless he is tired of college. Having tryouts with these teams is a good way to establish relationships which would be important.

I was kinda counting on Pete returning. This makes me nervous, we are in trouble without him next year.

Last edited:
I like Jok's NBA potential more than I did Marble, White or even Uthoff but I think he can still benefit from coming back 1 more year.

I could see Jok being the Kyle Korver type. Korver is 6'7" but Jok's game reminds me much more of Korvers in terms of moving without the ball and running off screens to get open and catch and shoot as opposed to Uthoff who I think more prefers to have the ball in his hands to create.

Reactions: trj
As an Iowa fan I want him to come back as the team will really need him. As far as what is best for his NBA hopes are concerned, well that is debatable. If a few players step up this upcoming season and the team is much more successful that what was expected and Peter has a great year, well then his stock will soar. On the other hand if Iowa struggles and has a poor season it COULD possibly adversely affect his standing as a NBA draft candidate.

The year previous to Adam Haluska's senior year, Iowa graduated Brunner, Horner & Hansen. Iowa struggled. Haluska was still drafted.

If Jok improves next year and has the goods, he too will get drafted. And hopefully with a degree. He will most likely need it.

I like Jok's NBA potential more than I did Marble, White or even Uthoff but I think he can still benefit from coming back 1 more year.

I could see Jok being the Kyle Korver type. Korver is 6'7" but Jok's game reminds me much more of Korvers in terms of moving without the ball and running off screens to get open and catch and shoot as opposed to Uthoff who I think more prefers to have the ball in his hands to create.

However, the pros thought different. The other three were invited to the combine. Just saying....

I don't think Jok has a chance of getting drafted this year. That's not to say he wouldn't make a team but I think it would be a huge gamble on his part. Another year at Iowa could really solidify his game and put himself in a much better position.

Jok would be silly not to come back, he'll be first team All B1G next year and will have a shot at getting drafted. He has no shot at getting drafted right now

I don't think Jok has a chance of getting drafted this year. That's not to say he wouldn't make a team but I think it would be a huge gamble on his part. Another year at Iowa could really solidify his game and put himself in a much better position.

One other thing that not many mention, with the new rules a lot of underclassmen have thrown their names in the hat. A good portion will make the mistake of not returning to school, then not being drafted and/or not making a team. Most of those will fall thru the cracks.
Those players will be without the year round training, coaching & facilities that they could have received while staying in school($25k per year and inadequate facilities of the D league pale in comparison to most Power 5 schools).

That will make next year a potentially (depending on whether the freshmen and underclassmen explode) thinner market for players in the draft.

Not to mention near Zero marketing to profile yourself. ESPN & BTN show B1G games nationally. Mediacom shows D league games(I think?). And let's face it, name recognition matters. Two players being equal, one is in the AMCC conference, one is an First Teamer in the B1G, who gets the call to the NBA??
The one that already carries the marketability to the NBA.

Last edited:
Call it a gut feeling or maybe I am being a contrarian. I do not think Jok is coming back. This isn't the league of the 90's and early 2000's, the grab and hold, grind it out type of basketball doesn't work anymore. You need shooters and you need as many as you can get. Ibahawkeye's comparison to Korver is a really good one. If Jok makes it that is how he does it. I think he will get enough positive feedback from his individual workouts to give it a try.

Call it a gut feeling or maybe I am being a contrarian. I do not think Jok is coming back. This isn't the league of the 90's and early 2000's, the grab and hold, grind it out type of basketball doesn't work anymore. You need shooters and you need as many as you can get. Ibahawkeye's comparison to Korver is a really good one. If Jok makes it that is how he does it. I think he will get enough positive feedback from his individual workouts to give it a try.

Hope he likes Europe

My assumption still is that he is just getting his name out there and trying to establish relationships with people at the next level. No harm in that.

If he comes back and stays healthy, he will get drafted next year. He has a chance to grow as a player and lead a decent team back to the NCAA Tournament. I see him as one of the top 32 next year.

so do we really think Jok has a chance to be picked in the first 2 rounds? I like him and I hope he is a Hawkeye next year as he will help us win, but he has a lot of work to do before he has a chance to play in the NBA. He is a very good streak shooter. He really has to improve his defense to guard the type of player he will face at the next level. When he puts the ball on the floor its an adventure. He really needs to work on that part of his game.
I think his chances are not great after another year at Iowa but much better than they are today

Watching last nights game I kept envisioning Jok on Golden State. I think he could develop real nicely there, but then again who couldn't. That all can wait till next year though.

The question is whether Jok can wait his turn and share the shots. I don't see him liking the role of third best shooter on the team.

What's in the best interest of an NBA team and what's in the best interest of Peter Jok are not the same thing. Because of his shooting ability, I could see a team taking a flyer on him in the second round, which puts him only slightly closer to the NBA than if he returned to Iowa for his senior season.

What's in the best interest of an NBA team and what's in the best interest of Peter Jok are not the same thing. Because of his shooting ability, I could see a team taking a flyer on him in the second round, which puts him only slightly closer to the NBA than if he returned to Iowa for his senior season.

No chance, he needs to come back to Iowa and average 18-20ppg and then hear his name called next year