Peter Jok

If only Ted Nugent had any talent... oh well not so much. If only people would insert the proper emoticon when being sarcastic or cynical... whimsical or tongue in cheek, or cheeky, if only..

Two of five freshmen recruits are starting. Another is redshirting. A fourth is getting decent playing time. And you are saying Fran 'misevaluated' the recruits? OMG!!!

I could not disagree more with this statement! Sapp wasn't brought in to be a scorer. He was brought in to be a back up to Gessell. And Ingram missed the summer league and valuable time because he had to straighten up some acacemic issues. If you're claiming Fran 'missed' on recruiting based on those two players (and I can only assume you are because they are the only ones mentioned) than you need to re-evaluate. If Fran missed, it was that he should have redshirted Ingram.

Very few players can come into the college game and be a game changer. Those that can, don't go to Iowa. They go to Kentucky or Duke. It takes time for players to develop. It wouldn't surprise me to see JO become that go to guy next year. (Note: I'm not saying he will .. just that it wouldn't surprise me.)

No .. Fran is doing just fine on the recruiting trail.

GO HAWKS!!!

Can't add much more to that..

I think best case scenerio Jok starts and or is 6th man and plays alot. Guessing what kind of numbers he'll get or is capable of is pretty much a crap shoot. Can he put up more than Marble did his freshman yr? With Marble still on the team playing the same position pretty much. It'll be interesting to see what happens next yr this deep team will only be deeper and that's even if they redshirt Gabe.

Have read the updates on his senior year and have seen a few videos. Looks solid, but I have to ask:

This year's Iowa basketball team is so devoid of a go-to shooter it is troubling. It is the one aspect of the current squad that has led to several close losses and the one I fear will keep Iowa from dancing this year (would dearly love to be wrong about that, BTW). Iowa lacks the one player who can be counted on to score, from anywhere on the floor, when the rest of the team is faltering, or can hold the ball with 20 seconds left in the half, run the clock down and create the space to take -- and make -- the final shot before the half or the game comes to an end.

Is Jok that player? Why, or why not? What will be his role next year? Discuss.

He may not be the go to guy, but he'll force teams to keep a defender on/near him, which will help create space for other players.

He is absolutely that player right now....... at the high school level. The million dollar question will be how that translates at the Big-10 level. There have been several games this year where he has simply taken over, Valley's 2nd game vs. Urbandale was a great example. For most of the game he's playing within the offense and not doing a lot until they find themselves down by double digits late (I think 12 if I recall). At that point he shifted to demanding the ball on the out of bounds and completely taking over, I think within 2-3 minutes Valley had resumed the lead. Can he single handedly do that as a Fresman in college? Likely not, but I think you'll be surprised by what he can do when he's pushed/driven.

I think this is what TM was trying to say, no one can say for sure right now how it WILL FOR SURE translate to the B1G level right now.

I sure hope he is, but until he is actually here we won't know.

He is absolutely that player right now....... at the high school level. The million dollar question will be how that translates at the Big-10 level. There have been several games this year where he has simply taken over, Valley's 2nd game vs. Urbandale was a great example. For most of the game he's playing within the offense and not doing a lot until they find themselves down by double digits late (I think 12 if I recall). At that point he shifted to demanding the ball on the out of bounds and completely taking over, I think within 2-3 minutes Valley had resumed the lead. Can he single handedly do that as a Fresman in college? Likely not, but I think you'll be surprised by what he can do when he's pushed/driven.

That was my point. He wouldn't be that player in the Big Ten right now. If he keeps regaining the old athleticism, maybe. But right now, if he were on the team, I think he'd be a better shooting version of Marble. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

That was my point. He wouldn't be that player in the Big Ten right now. If he keeps regaining the old athleticism, maybe. But right now, if he were on the team, I think he'd be a better shooting version of Marble. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Thanks TM, I guess that's where we may differ a bit in that you say no and I'm saying we really don't know. Think about it this way... You say right now he's a "better shooting Marble". Who on the Hawks right now would you consider the best (or maybe only) "go to" option in the scenario the OP laid out (I'd guess your answer is Marble)? He may not be the go to guy right away on many B-10 teams, but he could possibly be the best option on this team.

Speaking of Fran's recruiting is that pg for Xavier the same guy that was on his radar,?,and I see Carter is doing well. Also when is signing periods for 2014 right one is in October?and one in the spring ?

It's also funny how you have team dominated by freshman and sophomores and lose a few close games to nationally ranked teams most on the road and people complain. Mercy.

Thanks TM, I guess that's where we may differ a bit in that you say no and I'm saying we really don't know. Think about it this way... You say right now he's a "better shooting Marble". Who on the Hawks right now would you consider the best (or maybe only) "go to" option in the scenario the OP laid out (I'd guess your answer is Marble)? He may not be the go to guy right away on many B-10 teams, but he could possibly be the best option on this team.

I think there's a difference between being the best option, and being a true go-to player. I don't think the Jok of today would be able to take over Big Ten games, at least not against the better teams. He might improve and get to that point, but the Jok playing at Valley right now isn't that guy.

I think there's a difference between being the best option, and being a true go-to player. I don't think the Jok of today would be able to take over Big Ten games, at least not against the better teams. He might improve and get to that point, but the Jok playing at Valley right now isn't that guy.

I absolutely get what you're saying, but I think your qualification above sets the bar a bit high. Which Freshman currently in the Big Ten could do that?

Speaking of Fran's recruiting is that pg for Xavier the same guy that was on his radar,?,and I see Carter is doing well. Also when is signing periods for 2014 right one is in October?and one in the spring ?

If by doing well, you mean he is out for the season with an injury, then yes Carter is doing well.

All joking aside, he was averaging close to 15 ppg before the injury. He has shown flashes of being a great player.

Can't add much more to that..

..even if they redshirt Gabe.

Why does everyone think Gabe will be redshirted?? Uthoff is probably a 3. That Meyer kid from Ga. needs, what, at least 30 pounds of muscle and post moves to be a 4. Is he also gonna be a 3?

Gabe provides a downlow defensive presence that no other current Iowa player but Woody provides.

Gabe provides a downlow defensive presence that no other current Iowa player but Woody provides.

this

did anybody else dig on the play where gabe kept position, just put his arms up and didn't take a stupid swipe at the ball, and forced mbwake into clanking one?

if he can just do that for 15 minutes and not do anything stupid, he's fine.

really, he's a ton better than he was in Nov. he could be pretty useful next year.

anyway, jok is not going to step in and start.

this

did anybody else dig on the play where gabe kept position, just put his arms up and didn't take a stupid swipe at the ball, and forced mbwake into clanking one?

if he can just do that for 15 minutes and not do anything stupid, he's fine.

really, he's a ton better than he was in Nov. he could be pretty useful next year.

anyway, jok is not going to step in and start.

This is pretty obvious, he would have to knock Marble out of the starting line up which won't happen. It was only even being discussed after Jok committed and there was talk if Marble blew up this year that Marble would go into the draft.

hey i'm captain obvious

i'm not so sure that jok takes a whole lot of minutes from ogs

(unless jo's shot keeps clanking -- i'll say ogs gets minutes through the non-con and the first few b1g, and then jok only if jo can't get it over 35%)

Dave- have you had your sarcarm meter checked lately? I think you're way overdue for a check-up, brah. :)

What is this "sarcasm" you speak of?

n: sarcarm. pl. sarcarmos

foto_13.jpg

Latest posts