Personnel losses for next season

Black has another year of eligibility left. From what I've read he will look at his options after the season. He has a lot of physical tools and the mental side of it really seemed to click for him this year. I would love to see him come back.
You're right. Not sure why I had it in my head that he was done after this yr. Hope he doesn't transfer out. You can't have too many Dlineman no such thing

Black is rumored to be about 50:50 in terms of declaring for the draft.

Regarding Thompson, FWIW, the rumor is that he has been struggling academically. If true, that may be a big factor here. Bell has also intimated that he was struggling with the mental nuances of the position. That however should be coachable. Hopefully, we'll see him back.

Black has another year of eligibility left. From what I've read he will look at his options after the season. He has a lot of physical tools and the mental side of it really seemed to click for him this year. I would love to see him come back.

Perhaps a little NIL sweetener might help out. With names like "Why Yay!" and "Black", I feel like there should be some creative marketing ideas in the area, to go along with a healthy collective payout.

Black is rumored to be about 50:50 in terms of declaring for the draft.

Regarding Thompson, FWIW, the rumor is that he has been struggling academically. If true, that may be a big factor here. Bell has also intimated that he was struggling with the mental nuances of the position. That however should be coachable. Hopefully, we'll see him back.

Follow the path of Daviyon Nixon? I would be happy with that outcome.

Last edited:
Black, Harris and Schulte are the wildcards I am not sure what they do. IMO, those three could benefit by coming back. Lee, Higgins and obviously Dejean should probably go.

I think these are the 2-deep guys with a COVID year available:

DL: Logan Lee

LB: Jay Higgins, Kyler Fisher

DB: Sebastian Castro, Quinn Schulte, Jermari Harris (technically has 2 years left with injury redshirt, but was in the same recruiting class as Castro and Schulte)

Six years is a long time to be in college, but if your NFL prospects are slight, and you can pick up some useful grad credits along the way, not a bad option.

Black, Harris and Schulte are the wildcards I am not sure what they do. IMO, those three could benefit by coming back. Lee, Higgins and obviously Dejean should probably go.

I could see Lee trying the NFL, and I could just as easily see him entering the Peace Corps. Pretty neat guy.

I am not sure if Schulte can help himself much, he has been what he is going to be (a darn good college safety) for 3 seasons straight. If he wants the NFL dream, he might as well jump and give it a try. If he just wants to go to med school, he could take some grad credits and enjoy 1 more season on the gridiron with his boys.

Harris absolutely needs one more solid season for an NFL crack. I thought he was really good in the Nebraska game, an entire season of that would get him noticed.

DB: Sebastian Castro, Quinn Schulte, Jermari Harris (technically has 2 years left with injury redshirt, but was in the same recruiting class as Castro and Schulte)

Six years is a long time to be in college, but if your NFL prospects are slight, and you can pick up some useful grad credits along the way, not a bad option.

Harris,Schulte and Black would benefit by coming back.

Higgins should go.

Lee is married and we understand why he should/would go.

Castro is 24 and might be 25 when NFL camps start so he should take his shot now.

I could see Lee trying the NFL, and I could just as easily see him entering the Peace Corps. Pretty neat guy.

I am not sure if Schulte can help himself much, he has been what he is going to be (a darn good college safety) for 3 seasons straight. If he wants the NFL dream, he might as well jump and give it a try. If he just wants to go to med school, he could take some grad credits and enjoy 1 more season on the gridiron with his boys.

Harris absolutely needs one more solid season for an NFL crack. I thought he was really good in the Nebraska game, an entire season of that would get him noticed.

Just reading between the lines I would guess Schulte is leaning towards not coming back.

Do you think Higgins is coming back?

Do you think Higgins is coming back?

No inside info, I don't know anything about the guy. But I agree with you, it seems like he has elevated his stock, and it would be a good time to jump. That LB room is going to be very inexperienced if that occurs, we will need some guys to make jumps.

No inside info, I don't know anything about the guy. But I agree with you, it seems like he has elevated his stock, and it would be a good time to jump. That LB room is going to be very inexperienced if that occurs, we will need some guys to make jumps.
Whether Higgins stays or goes I'd venture to say we hit the portal hard. Phil getting his national credit and Iowa's reputation on defense could put us in a great position to land some very good players to fill vacated holes.

Whether Higgins stays or goes I'd venture to say we hit the portal hard. Phil getting his national credit and Iowa's reputation on defense could put us in a great position to land some very good players to fill vacated holes.

My only concern with a portal LB is lack of familiarity with our system. It took Jackson a half season to get up to full speed, and it sounds like he is about as cerebral as it gets. Once it clicked for him, he has been awesome. So, I agree some infusion of LB talent would help, I just hope it is a guy with multiple years left, and I think we will still need someone from that group of youngsters to ascend rapidly. It kind of feels like that guy will be Sharar, but there are multiple candidates.

1701878760283.png

My only concern with a portal LB is lack of familiarity with our system. It took Jackson a half season to get up to full speed, and it sounds like he is about as cerebral as it gets. Once it clicked for him, he has been awesome. So, I agree some infusion of LB talent would help, I just hope it is a guy with multiple years left, and I think we will still need someone from that group of youngsters to ascend rapidly. It kind of feels like that guy will be Sharar, but there are multiple candidates.

View attachment 10537

Hopefully 2 or 3 of the group of Harrell, Twedt and Sharar can make a leap next year. I agree that it is a tough position to transfer in and master. Of the above mentioned, Sharar would seem to be the most likely to start next year. He has been a stellar special teams player this year and that oftentimes bodes well for players in Phil's system.

I think Nick Jackson might have an option too

I think Nick Jackson might have an option too

Yeah, he could apply for a waiver based upon his last year at Virginia (season canceled early due to the tragic deaths of several teammates). It would not be guaranteed, and who knows how NCAA makes these decision.

Latest posts