personal Pre game rituals from when you played sports?

lightning1

Just curious what pre game rituals that you may have had or used, that you thought improved your performance?

Just curious what pre game rituals that you may have had or used, that you thought improved your performance?

In baseball when playing SS and not CF, I prayed that our 6-6 1st basemen would start over our 5-2 first baseman.

As a coach I repeatedly checked to make sure the even uniforms were for home and odd away.....after making a mistake and a Technical.

I wore the same shirt every game my soph. year and I don't think we lost. my junior year, the shirt lost its magic and we went 2-7. Probably because half the team was drunk or high, not the shirt.

In baseball when playing SS and not CF, I prayed that our 6-6 1st basemen would start over our 5-2 first baseman.

As a coach I repeatedly checked to make sure the even uniforms were for home and odd away.....after making a mistake and a Technical.

I was that kind of first baseman... at 6'8". Committed six errors in three years of starting at first - three of them were when I had stitches in my throwing hand my senior season. All the other infielders liked me at first as they were scatter-arms.

As far as pre-game, I just wanted to get alone for about 10 minutes to kind of create calm and focus. I don't remember actually praying, though. Later, after college, it was all about the right pre-game music.

In BB and pitching, golf, and tennis...It always seemed that if I was "on" or "hot" warming up...the opposite happened in the game...so, I tried to be average or below warming up...

For basketball, our team (JV thru Varsity) always prayed the Lord's Prayer in the locker room before every game just prior to going out. I'm curious, anybody else do this? I went to public school in small town HS in NE Iowa. This made me think of that. Was this just my HS team or did many other teams pray the Lord's Prayer? Kind of like dressing up on game day which we did as well. Did everyone dress up. They still do that in schools? Hope so but I could see kid's now in sweat pants on game day.

Is a public school team even able to do this anymore or did the state shut that down as well? If so, sad.

For basketball, our team (JV thru Varsity) always prayed the Lord's Prayer in the locker room before every game just prior to going out. I'm curious, anybody else do this? I went to public school in small town HS in NE Iowa. This made me think of that. Was this just my HS team or did many other teams pray the Lord's Prayer? Kind of like dressing up on game day which we did as well. Did everyone dress up. They still do that in schools? Hope so but I could see kid's now in sweat pants on game day.

Is a public school team even able to do this anymore or did the state shut that down as well? If so, sad.
Public school in Des Moines. Ties on game day and Lord’s Prayer. Doubt you could get away with it today.

I went to a catholic high school and after the Lord's prayer we turned on The Trooper by Iron Maiden. Everytime I heard that song I wanted to rip someone's head off. I would have loved to rip off Tim Dwight's noggin but just couldn't catch him. The Trooper failed, he destroyed us in the state title game.

We used to listen to the Metallica Black album and heavy metal and shit, it always got us pumped to go get our dicks drug in the dirt.

Played HS BB in the mid 70s.

Everybody wore socks up to their knees. To have "sock slippage" wasn't cool, so our ritual was to "rubber band" the socks up close to the top, then slightly turn down the sock so they didn't show.

Usually worked.

Played HS BB in the mid 70s.

Everybody wore socks up to their knees. To have "sock slippage" wasn't cool, so our ritual was to "rubber band" the socks up close to the top, then slightly turn down the sock so they didn't show.

Usually worked.

Classy. Knee pads to?

I played with short shorts, actually, right when the Fab 5 broke the long shorts out. Is that an oxymoron?

Classy. Knee pads to?

I played with short shorts, actually, right when the Fab 5 broke the long shorts out. Is that an oxymoron?
Lol no, no knee pads, but definitely short shorts, i.e. Larry Bird shorts.

If you needed spectacles, you wore glasses (contacts were expensive). Low-top Adidas were the rave choice of shoe wear. Haircuts were atrocious.

I will add as an aside....we got a new coach my sophomore year. He advocated against weight lifting (it'll hurt your shot), and forbid us to eat peanuts or ketchup, claiming it "cut our wind." No internet back then to research and dispute so we did what he said. Sheesh.