Per Van Coleman: Iowa Done with D. Coleman

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Will be concentrating on:

Trey Burke 6-1 CG Columbus, OH Northland Penn State, Cincinnati, Nebraska, OK State, Seton Hall, Providence, Iowa
Josh Oglesby 6-4 CG Cedar Rapids, IA Washington Illinois, Iowa, Arizona State, Minnesota
Eric Green 6-3 CG Chicago, IL Julian Oklahoma State, DePaul, West Virginia, Oregon, Iowa
Bruce Barron 6-2 CG Carbondale, IL Brehm Prep DePaul, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Illinois, Dayton, Marquette, Southern Illinois, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame

Will be concentrating on:

Trey Burke 6-1 CG Columbus, OH Northland Penn State, Cincinnati, Nebraska, OK State, Seton Hall, Providence, Iowa
Josh Oglesby 6-4 CG Cedar Rapids, IA Washington Illinois, Iowa, Arizona State, Minnesota
Eric Green 6-3 CG Chicago, IL Julian Oklahoma State, DePaul, West Virginia, Oregon, Iowa
Bruce Barron 6-2 CG Carbondale, IL Brehm Prep DePaul, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Illinois, Dayton, Marquette, Southern Illinois, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame

How many of these guys does Iowa have a shot at getting? Is Iowa still looking at some frontcourt players?

I don't understand the logic of this. Coleman has had Iowa #1 on his list from the beginning and now McCaffery is focusing on kids that aren't as high on Iowa or even as regarded as Coleman?? Oglesby is our best chance but he isn't even a lock after seeing Uthoff jet.

Coleman found out about this from his dad, who read it on the internet. This is terrible PR for an Iowa squad that can't afford it. McCaffery's respect amongst recruits may have taken a hit once word gets out.

I would highly, highly doubt that this information was meant to get out before Coleman knew about it. We've heard before that Fran has been upset with information getting out of CHA. My guess is he is pretty ****** about this one. However, the only reason I would think that they would drop Coleman is that they already have someone that fills a similar role. Just speculating, but Macari Brooks is a similar player

I don't understand the logic of this. Coleman has had Iowa #1 on his list from the beginning and now McCaffery is focusing on kids that aren't as high on Iowa or even as regarded as Coleman?? Oglesby is our best chance but he isn't even a lock after seeing Uthoff jet.

Coleman found out about this from his dad, who read it on the internet. This is terrible PR for an Iowa squad that can't afford it. McCaffery's respect amongst recruits may have taken a hit once word gets out.

My feeling is that this will all make sense in a week or so. :)

Somebody on the other sight from Siena said on their boards it is being reported that Iowa has a commit from some body else unnamed and thus no space left for coleman.

Here is a little exerpt from a poster on the siena board:

“They basically told me that I waited too long and that they got a commitment from someone else,” said Coleman, who talked with Francis and McCaffery. “It was random, if you ask me, especially since they went public with it before they told me. I know it’s a business and I know they’re going to recruit other players, but it would seem that they would tell me first.”

I am guessing the commit is Macari Brooks, as he and Devin seem like similar players.

Players always take a chance when they fail to act on an offer. It never ceases to amaze me that after a recruit has set on an offer for weeks or even months, as in this case, that they are surprised when a team takes someone else at their spot. Coleman was apparently hoping for a better deal, sort of like the QB out of Georgia who was upset when Iowa pulled his offer. Well, that door swings both ways.

How many of these guys does Iowa have a shot at getting? Is Iowa still looking at some frontcourt players?

Van did not characterize that list as exclusive, and it isn't. He said they will concentrate on Midwestern guards and those listed were "four of interest."

Yes, we're still very actively recruiting players at other positions. But it is reported to be a very thin year for frontcourt talent, and Iowa may have to did a little deeper to find the guys this year.

Van did not characterize that list as exclusive, and it isn't. He said they will concentrate on Midwestern guards and those listed were "four of interest."

Yes, we're still very actively recruiting players at other positions. But it is reported to be a very thin year for frontcourt talent, and Iowa may have to did a little deeper to find the guys this year.

Trey McDonald is a guy that should be their top priorty in the frontcourt, my opinion, obviously. He has length and good size and can run. One big thing about him is his shot blocking ability, God knows we need some of that.
My other thought on the Frontcourt players is this, how real is it that Cougill lands back at Iowa?
Yes, there is a timetable for kids, programs will only wait so long and apparently Iowa has at least one guy that fills the void they were looking at. I am cheering for Burke, but will not be disappointed with anyone.

Last edited: