Per Mom, This is Riley Till's Last Season at Iowa

Our problem isnt number of fans. Its average age of fans. They gotta get young people there. Better seats for the students. Sell beer. Stop doing the fucking burrito lift.

I agree, I have been advocating for something, anything to help move us into a better atmosphere. Believe it or not, and this sounds SO dumb to me, but I've heard that they added a DJ (college stadiums have been doing this for years) that plays before the games, during breaks etc and from what I've heard, it's really made it a little looser in there. Sounds so stupid to me.... but I guess it helps make it not quite as stuffy.

Shelley told me that Riley is still thinking about whether or not to graduate transfer to another program. I sense that he will if he can find the right fit.

Shelley told me that Riley is still thinking about whether or not to graduate transfer to another program. I sense that he will if he can find the right fit.

He'd get more PT at a mid-major or even lower level anyway. It'd be a good move for him.

Wisconsin has been good at home because they have been a good team. Having a rowdy crowd doesn't guarantee you win, it just gives you a slight advantage which can be the difference here and there. It can also help recruiting. It's also possible students would come with better seats.
I agree, I have been advocating for something, anything to help move us into a better atmosphere. Believe it or not, and this sounds SO dumb to me, but I've heard that they added a DJ (college stadiums have been doing this for years) that plays before the games, during breaks etc and from what I've heard, it's really made it a little looser in there. Sounds so stupid to me.... but I guess it helps make it not quite as stuffy.
we have a dj at carver

Hahaha that would be a logistic nightmare.

What happens when my buddy and I go up for popcorn and we come back and our seats have now been taken. Nobody has a claim to the seats? Looks like I’m sitting at the top now becuase I went to concession stand or to take a leak.

It would just be for the "student section area. Right now people move down to empty seats anyway. If someone shows up and says they're theirs, you simply move back to your seats. If they had students around the court and at the start of the game there are empty seats, people can walk down and fill them if they want. That's not hard. If you have a paid seat and go to the concession, no one will probably take it. If they do, you simply show them your ticket and they move. Are you really saying there will be hundreds of empty seats and no one will think to walk down and take them? Every game I went to, my eyes would be peeled for some empty student seats in the back of their section.

Joe Fredrick said Wake Forest had a huge problem with atmosphere and in one years time completely changed it. Had the mascot riding in on a harley and stuff like that.

It would just be for the "student section area. Right now people move down to empty seats anyway. If someone shows up and says they're theirs, you simply move back to your seats. If they had students around the court and at the start of the game there are empty seats, people can walk down and fill them if they want. That's not hard. If you have a paid seat and go to the concession, no one will probably take it. If they do, you simply show them your ticket and they move. Are you really saying there will be hundreds of empty seats and no one will think to walk down and take them? Every game I went to, my eyes would be peeled for some empty student seats in the back of their section.
What I’m saying is when you grabbed that empty seat who’s to stop someone else from taking it 10 minutes later when you go to take a leak? Nobody has claim to the seat in that situation.

Who distinguishes between a student and a non student? At halftime I’m walking down and grabbing a spot near the court in that section every game.

It’s not feasible

What I’m saying is when you grabbed that empty seat who’s to stop someone else from taking it 10 minutes later when you go to take a leak? Nobody has claim to the seat in that situation.

Who distinguishes between a student and a non student? At halftime I’m walking down and grabbing a spot near the court in that section every game.

It’s not feasible
If you're not alone, the people you are with can save it. If you are alone, leave a coat there. If you are alone and uncomfortable leaving a coat there, I guess you risk it and might have to move back to your original seat if there happens to be someone else who is all by themselves and wants your single seat. Why do you think the possibility of someone taking the seat you didn't even pay for and making you move back to the seat you did pay for makes it unfeasible? If it happens, it happens. At least the seats are always full, which is the main thing.

All that said, there are some people who won't want to move down. They can stay put. The people who do want to move down and risk the possibily of losing that seat later if they leave and have no one to save it for them should be enough to fill the empty seats enough to not look embarrassing on TV

Sorry, I've thrown this off topic. Let us know more about Riley Till if it comes out. I'm curious to know if he's gonna use his last year or not. I knew his scholarship was only a 1 year deal but I was hoping he'd stick around as he's nice depth to have. I hope he uses that last year of eligibility somewhere else. He'd probably see a lot of minutes at a place like Drake.
Not for sure, but I don't think Drake gives bb scholarships. That would some very expensive basketball.

Yep, and it's not like they have to dedicate the first 10 rows for students just enough rows to ensure they are always filled. It's first come first serve, just make a few rows available at the bottom. If you get there early you are getting seats at half court, if you don't then you are sitting behind the basket.
Just give them the VIP seats next to the court, most of the time they're empty. I guess the major donors have some place else to be on game day. It be nice if they would at least give them to someone. It looks really stupid to see court side seats empty all the time.

It really came off as pleading, the DJ was trying to pump up the crowd but nobody was paying attention. The late arriving crowd and traffic around the stadium makes it so the crowd is barely in their seats by halftime.

Carver isn’t very close to where majority of the students live and it’s a pain getting there and back for a game in the cold (despite Cambus).

In general across college sports it seems like attendance is falling. People have just elected to do other things.

Also what would happen when we are playing a televised game over winter break and the entire area next to the floor is empty becuase those are student seats?

I get the feeling having better seats would provide more enticement for students to show. And it's simple, each game students check in 24 hours before game online and whatever seats are available are then opened to general public. Plus they only need to do it on one side of the court.

Expand more vip seating at top of bowl that sells alcohol. Additional alcohol sales should help balance some of the lost.

I think getting the students (at least some of them) behind the bench would be a good move. The rest could be on the baseline. First come, first served. It would take some reconfiguration, but nothing too drastic. Some season ticket holders would be displaced, but they'd get over it.

Hahaha that would be a logistic nightmare.

What happens when my buddy and I go up for popcorn and we come back and our seats have now been taken. Nobody has a claim to the seats? Looks like I’m sitting at the top now becuase I went to concession stand or to take a leak.

sneak food in and wear depends like the rest of us old folks - problem solved

Latest posts