Per ESPN: A&M to SEC

Dundie-

Haven't read this entire thread to know - but what is your feeling of how the SEC prez's respond to the AnM stuff? Allow or not? If they do, do they push to 16? What are hearing down there?

My thought is that the SEC is fighting a cold war against the other conferences to stockpile money and rich programs, and to literally make the SEC THE LEAGUE. I think his vision for the SEC is to make SEC like the Premiere League in England, and make all of the other conferences the lower tier leagues, where they are unable to compete with the SEC because all of the top flight talent will go south.

My other thought is that the Big 10 had better do something aggressive or they will be relegated to second tier conference behind the SEC and the PAC (if they start expanding into Texas and OK).

My thought is that the SEC is fighting a cold war against the other conferences to stockpile money and rich programs, and to literally make the SEC THE LEAGUE. I think his vision for the SEC is to make SEC like the Premiere League in England, and make all of the other conferences the lower tier leagues, where they are unable to compete with the SEC because all of the top flight talent will go south.

My other thought is that the Big 10 had better do something aggressive or they will be relegated to second tier conference behind the SEC and the PAC (if they start expanding into Texas and OK).

Doesn't most of the top flight talent go south already?

Keep hearing all of the unity and love talk coming out of the remaining 9 Big 12 schools. Wonder how long that will last? I put the over under at 3 years. What does everyone think?

Watching ESPN saying nothing will change. SEC satisfied with current 12. This whole thing is really strange

What a bunch of crap. All of this talk about A&M moving, and then nothing is going to happen. I don't care that nothing is happening, but that's insanely lame that there was all this buildup for absolutely nothing to happen.

What a bunch of crap. All of this talk about A&M moving, and then nothing is going to happen. I don't care that nothing is happening, but that's insanely lame that there was all this buildup for absolutely nothing to happen.

As lame as you may feel, can you imagine what the Aggie brass feel like? A little uneasiness in College Station right now?!?

If I had to guess, I'd say Big 12 or SEC or Texas got into some legal mumbo-jumbo threat-type language exchanges. What's the hurry for the SEC, anyway?

Told you so. I've said from the beginning it wasn't going to happen.

Even though I agree with you, this may be not over. This statement does give the SEC latitude to change their stance. Could easily be a cover yourself statement.

Was any of this ever true or just a ploy by the ESPN and other media outlets to stoke interest and thereby increase revenues?

The intent is there for A&M ....

So one of two things is taking place.

ESPN is a major backer/player in both the SEC and the Texas LHN. It appears to me the investment in the LHN would be greatly damaged in the short-term if the Big 12 crumbles and super conferences form. The Big 12 crumbles not just by A&M's move alone but possibly an additional school or two like Missouri to the SEC or BigTen, etc. It's conceivable to me that both Texas + ESPN are behind the scenes strongly 'suggesting' to the SEC via ESPN to hold off. I think Texas is in a situation where they have over-played their hand and needs more time before the Big 12 is disposable to them.

OR

The SEC is simply going through the motions until A&M formally applies.

I still say there is good chance this all goes down. It will just take a little more time that's all.

As lame as you may feel, can you imagine what the Aggie brass feel like? A little uneasiness in College Station right now?!?

If this thing falls apart and A&M has to come back to the Big 12 with its tail between its legs, this will be 100 times worse than Missouri thinking they were Big Ten bound last year, just to have Nebraska get accepted.

The 'tail between the legs' is going to played up by the media and other conference members but I do not see it that way at all.

Texas A&M is doing exactly the right the thing by looking for an 'exit' strategy from the Big 12. No program is hurt more in the Big 12 than A&M. Texas has benefited 1000% from running the Big 12 and keeping A&M under wraps.

Step back into the time-machine during the end of the SWC and the formation of the Big 12. Despite UT's overall prestige A&M was the power program continually in the Top 5 and Texas was a 6-8 win team with coaches like John Mackovic. That has completely flipped in every aspect and will never change as long as A&M is tied to Texas.

Going to the SEC(best choice) or even the Big Ten(to a lesser extent) removes the shackles and allows A&M to offer a recruiting advantage/differentiation from Texas. Does it make A&M the new Texas no, but it certainly offers real competition for the first time.

Understanding this is how Texas despite their public comments is concerned about A&M to the SEC. Not only does it put A&M in the best football conference but it creates competition for Texas recruits and opens the door for the SEC into Texas. All of this means over time Texas will not get the defacto pick of the first 20 best players year in and year out -> the margin for error tigthens and that means more losing. Can be the difference between winning another national title.

Not saying this is going to happen... but ..... if I was the key Big Ten decision maker I would accpet an application from A&M in a heartbeat. It does mean more travel, etc. but it allows the Big Ten to get into a southern, massive market. A&M is good accademically also which fits into the Big Ten model. From A&M's inclusion in the Big Ten would provide stability but not be an ideal choice as travel is increased, no natural border rivals and cold weather..... but they must get out from Texas to thrive.

Last edited:
The 'tail between the legs' is going to played up by the media and other conference members but I do not see it that way at all.

Texas A&M is doing exactly the right the thing by looking for an 'exit' strategy from the Big 12. No program is hurt more in the Big 12 than A&M. Texas has benefited 1000% from running the Big 12 and keeping A&M under wraps.

Step back into the time-machine during the end of the SWC and the formation of the Big 12. Despite UT's overall prestige A&M was the power program continually in the Top 5 and Texas was a 6-8 win team with coaches like John Mackovic. That has completely flipped in every aspect and will never change as long as A&M is tied to Texas.

Going to the SEC(best choice) or even the Big Ten(to a lesser extent) removes the shackles and allows A&M to offer a recruiting advantage/differentiation from Texas. Does it make A&M the new Texas no, but it certainly offers real competition for the first time.

Understanding this is how Texas despite their public comments is concerned about A&M to the SEC. Not only does it put A&M in the best football conference but it creates competition for Texas recruits and opens the door for the SEC into Texas. All of this means over time Texas will not get the defacto pick of the first 20 best players year in and year out -> the margin for error tigthens and that means more losing. Can be the difference between winning another national title.

Not saying this is going to happen... but ..... if I was the key Big Ten decision maker I would accpet an application from A&M in a heartbeat. It does mean more travel, etc. but it allows the Big Ten to get into a southern, massive market. A&M is good accademically also which fits into the Big Ten model. From A&M's inclusion in the Big Ten would provide stability but not be an ideal choice as travel is increased, no natural border rivals and cold weather..... but they must get out from Texas to thrive.

I don't really agree with your line of thinking there. I do think A&M needs to distance themselves because their conference is crumbling, but their problem is not UT. I mean, by your way of thinking, ISU should be better off because they can "offer a recruiting advantage/differentiation" from Iowa.......but we all know that is NOT the case.

Latest posts