People associated with Iowa Football say they officially at least tied for West Div title? True?

uihawk82

I thought at least one person on Hawkeye Nation was adamant that if Wisky and Iowa tie at 7-2 the Wisky is the lone West Div title holder. I know Wisky would go to Indy but it seems Barta, and a bunch of hawk people are calling themselves West Div Champs. I read it on the DSM Register and elsewhere, even on a postgame thread right here.

Does anyone on Hawkeye Nation remember who the person or persons on here are or were who said Iowa couldn't share a West Title?

It made sense to me that we would be co-champs but Wisky would be selected to the title game the same as teams selected in the past for the ROSE Bowl. They still got to call themselves co-champs.

Yes, the Big Ten officially recognizes any team that ties for first place in a division as a co-division champion. The same way the Big Ten before it had divisions would recognize Big Ten conference co-champions.

So in 2019 Wisc and Minn were considered West division co-champions just like in 2018 OSU and Mich were called East division co-champions.

The fact that nobody knows this kind of tells you that nobody actually thinks of the loser of the tiebreaker as a division champion. The only real division champion is the team that wins the tiebreaker and goes to the CCG.

But oh well, at least Iowa gets a trophy and KF gets a bonus.

Well I would think that a tie in the win and loss column would be a tie for the title. In baseball, the teams would tie for a division title and I dont think they have a tiebreaker except for a one game playoff. In golf if 4 players are tied at the end of the final round they have a playoff do determine the winner but the winner of the playoff still has the same total score as the other 3 golfers.

I thought at least one person on Hawkeye Nation was adamant that if Wisky and Iowa tie at 7-2 the Wisky is the lone West Div title holder. I know Wisky would go to Indy but it seems Barta, and a bunch of hawk people are calling themselves West Div Champs. I read it on the DSM Register and elsewhere, even on a postgame thread right here.

Does anyone on Hawkeye Nation remember who the person or persons on here are or were who said Iowa couldn't share a West Title?
I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand. The Big Ten has always recognized co-championships with the head-to-head determining who advances to the Rose Bowl (in the old days) and now to the Big ten title game.

some examples: Iowa in 1990 tied with 3 other teams. All 4 were recognized as big ten champs. Iowa advanced to rose bowl because we beat the other 3 teams (mich; ILL; MSU).

In 2004 Iowa tied with Mich for big ten title. Mich won the head to head and went to the rose. We went to Cap one bowl.

in 2019, MN and Wis tied for the West title. Both were recognized as champions. Wis went to big title game because they beat MN head to head.

this year, if Wis beats MN they are west champs along with us. But they won the head to head so they advance to big ten title game. Both teams are division champions.

Fryowa said this wasn’t the case. For one of the few times, he was incorrect.

I readily admit that if Wis wins tomorrow it will be disappointing. But a championship is a championship.

Hey, this is a really really very very good Iowa team because 1) they know how to win, period. They lost to two very good teams, Purdue a little more up and down than Wisconsin. But we caught a really good purdue team that day blocking, throwing, catching and playing defense against us. If the hawks hadnt stumbled at home against Purdue they would be outright West Champs right now getting ready to in a week.

I personally dont believe in east/west championships. Especially if uneven crossovers exist. The way i see it is each division has a representative in the championship game.

Well I would think that a tie in the win and loss column would be a tie for the title. In baseball, the teams would tie for a division title and I dont think they have a tiebreaker except for a one game playoff. In golf if 4 players are tied at the end of the final round they have a playoff do determine the winner but the winner of the playoff still has the same total score as the other 3 golfers.
Make Wisky play Iowa at Kinnick. LOL

Every Iowa fan is talking as tho they don't want to face Ohio St. You realize our lowly offense put up more points vs Nebraska in Lincoln (28) than the Buckeyes did (26). That said, I'll be rootin' like heck for the Goofers and Big Blue tomorrow.

Every Iowa fan is talking as tho they don't want to face Ohio St. You realize our lowly offense put up more points vs Nebraska in Lincoln (28) than the Buckeyes did (26). That said, I'll be rootin' like heck for the Goofers and Big Blue tomorrow.
Yep like Lee Corso would so, poor ole Iowa they should not even show up, have zero chance....with a smirk on his face knowing that is when a Kirk Ferentz team is most dangerous.

If Iowa gets to Indy, they can make a game of it. The defense and special teams can keep Iowa in the game and muck it up. If the Iowa offense is average or efficient when it needs to be, anything can happen.

I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand. The Big Ten has always recognized co-championships with the head-to-head determining who advances to the Rose Bowl (in the old days) and now to the Big ten title game.

some examples: Iowa in 1990 tied with 3 other teams. All 4 were recognized as big ten champs. Iowa advanced to rose bowl because we beat the other 3 teams (mich; ILL; MSU).

In 2004 Iowa tied with Mich for big ten title. Mich won the head to head and went to the rose. We went to Cap one bowl.

in 2019, MN and Wis tied for the West title. Both were recognized as champions. Wis went to big title game because they beat MN head to head.

this year, if Wis beats MN they are west champs along with us. But they won the head to head so they advance to big ten title game. Both teams are division champions.

Fryowa said this wasn’t the case. For one of the few times, he was incorrect.
yes it was Fryiowa and he is wrong alot. he was wrong about this. he guaranteed a nebraska victory wrong again. the petras padilla case ill cut him alittle slack cuz we dont know how much petras was hurt but he said petras would start padilla started 3 games. He also said last year during covid that nobody would play football we played football.

You all gotta realize Fryowa is one of us and he’s got opinions that will not always be correct just like the rest of us. The fact he had a mod tag forced on to him doesn’t change anything.

To me getting a trophy for being co-champs in a division where Iowa lost too the coleader is weak, but that’s me. I wont ruin this for the players, they are the ones putting their hearts and souls into each game and if they enjoy it then I’m happy for them. To those that disagree go watch that Saban rant, he’s talking about you. I for one will not be buying a West division championship shirt but I won’t think any less of any of you that do, it’s ok to celebrate successes even when some think they are trivial.

Latest posts