Penn State now the barometer game

A week ago, I would have said that Penn State wouldn't get within 2 touchdowns of us. At home, at night, 1st Big 10 game of the year, the emphasis Kirk puts on the game, etc.....no way they play with us.

Now, with the injuries mounting and the uncharacteristic breakdowns we witnessed in the desert, I think this is a real barometer game for the rest of the year. If we come out of the gates like a bat out of he!! and beat them like a rented mule for 60 minutes, then I think everyone breathes a little easier and it's back to business as usual.

However, if we come out and can't run the ball, can't put pressure on their freshman QB (especially given their attrocious line play so far this year), allow them to get into our backfield, etc and have to come back or barely beat them (or, god forbid, lose).....then I think we may be in some trouble because with the exception of Indiana and Minnesota, I think every other team on the schedule is better than PSU.

Hopefully we can work the kinks out in next week's glorified scrimmage, get some good PT for some of the backups we will depend on the rest of the year (Coker, Johnson, Morris, etc) and stomp them good and then get ready for next Saturday night.

I don't think it could be considered anything but. Penn State is a good team but if we expect to beat Wisky, OSU, NW, MSU and Mich we'd better be able to handle the Nittany Lions first.

EVERY Big Ten game will be a challenge. Do you see any that will be cakewalks? That's before or after today's news.

I am not worried about this game. I feel confident Iowa will be 4-1 heading to Ann Arbor. If Iowa loses to Penn State then this season will be.....

Not gonna worry about that til I have to. But I don't think I will have to.

No time to flinch, suck it up, next man in and move forward. He who wallows in the past gets left behind.

I am not worried about this game. I feel confident Iowa will be 4-1 heading to Ann Arbor. If Iowa loses to Penn State then this season will be.....

Not gonna worry about that til I have to. But I don't think I will have to.

I'm not "worried", per se, but you have to agree that Michigan, MSU, OSU, NW and Wisc are all better than PSU and if we struggle (even in a win) with them, it certainly doesn't bode well for the rest of the schedule.

I think Psu is a better overall team than Michigan or Michigan state...but might not b by next week. Glad to play them early in year like last year

I think Psu is a better overall team than Michigan or Michigan state...but might not b by next week. Glad to play them early in year like last year

Wow. Michigan I can see.....6 of one, half a dozen of the other. But I'm surprised you think they're better than MSU. I can't think of a single position group I'd take PSU over MSU....especially at the skill positions and OL.

I'm not "worried", per se, but you have to agree that Michigan, MSU, OSU, NW and Wisc are all better than PSU and if we struggle (even in a win) with them, it certainly doesn't bode well for the rest of the schedule.

I'm not as quick to write-off a season based on the latest performance. The year that OSU won the NC I kept calling them the luckiest team in the history of college football. They won ugly, they won lucky, they won by the skin of their teeth, game after game. And they ended the season with a BCS championship. As nice as it is to win comfortably and with a lot of points for style, an ugly win is always better than an impressive loss. Just win baby; do that and everything else falls into place just as it should.

I'm not as quick to write-off a season based on the latest performance. The year that OSU won the NC I kept calling them the luckiest team in the history of college football. They won ugly, they won lucky, they won by the skin of their teeth, game after game. And they ended the season with a BCS championship. As nice as it is to win comfortably and with a lot of points for style, an ugly win is always better than an impressive loss. Just win baby; do that and everything else falls into place just as it should.

I can buy what you're selling! :)

I will say all 3 teams are pretty good, but they all have their weaknesses that are killing them.

PSU- their inability to run the ball is killing them, Royster has yet to get over the 100yd mark this year and their oline is struggling this year.

Michigan- Their defense is terrible, they cannot stop anyone and their offense is good as robinson is, if he isn't able to run, then they are screwed.

MSU- Their a good team, I really haven't seen anything too bad here. But they can't win the big game (sorry ND is not a big game, they are terrible.)

I think Iowa is okay, PSU will be a good game, their QB is very good. All Iowa has to do is shut down Royster and they will get pressure on their YOUNG QB and force him into some mistakes! I think Iowa will be fine and will take care of business.

Does anyone have any video of Coker as a senior? I know I watched some last year and was very impressed with his power.

PSU will probably be an indicator as to whether this team is 2002, 2003, or 2004, or whether it ends up being 2005. Good call.

Idk why but for some reason I think we will put the house on PSU. Its night time, Kinnick Stadium, rockin crowed, its going to be nasty!!