Penn State beats Nebraska, but Iowa loses to Nebraska.

HawkeyeDenis

Was just cruisin the Nebraska boards, seems to be a common thought that Nebraska will have trouble with Penn State but squeek by Iowa.
While I see the Husker edge over Iowa, I don't get where Penn State is getting so much cred. They didn't do that well last year, they are not expected to do that well this year yet a lot of Husker's seem to think that PSU can win the game.

I did that last night and holy corn holers batman!! Some of those guys are flat out whacked. I read two post where I think a wisky fan was just taking them to school, yet they sit there arguing. It actually made me think of a post I saw that said something about Nebraska fans being delusional.

Was just cruisin the Nebraska boards, seems to be a common thought that Nebraska will have trouble with Penn State but squeek by Iowa.
While I see the Husker edge over Iowa, I don't get where Penn State is getting so much cred. They didn't do that well last year, they are not expected to do that well this year yet a lot of Husker's seem to think that PSU can win the game.

LOL It only makes sense! They are living in the past, so shouldn't they expect PSU be in the same catagory?

It is simple really PSU will be improved from last year and Nebby plays at PSU and has Iowa in Lincoln.

I agree ... Penn State should be a lot better in '11.

The bigger issue for PSU might be depth in '11. If they can remain healthy ... they're likely going to be really good. Of course, some of that projected success will depend on improved play on the OL. However, if they get hit much by injuries ... then they could really go downhill pretty quickly.

PSU has a bit of a question at QB and from the bowl game they proved they can completely implode and lose a game.

Most PSU and Neb fans think the last 15 years of college football didn't happen. They are alredy calling that game the "time machine bowl"

You have to understand, Nebraska thinks of themeselves as a "Nationally Significant Historical Big Name Program," and therefore they can only perceive losing to other 'Nationally Significant Big Name Programs", no matter how sucky either of them really are in the 21st century.

Ugh... I read one of those threads and some Nebby fan was already talking about the speed they bring to the conference and how all of us will adjust to them? LMAO ...I was at Jack Trice for the game last year and that was pretty much a high school football game when it comes to execution and game speed.

You have to understand, Nebraska thinks of themeselves as a "Nationally Significant Historical Big Name Program," and therefore they can only perceive losing to other 'Nationally Significant Big Name Programs", no matter how sucky either of them really are in the 21st century.
That is exactly right.
On a side note to all this hate fest of a post we are about to embark on. I have a serious question. If they are keeping everything hush hush over there and "having a new O" and making adjustments on D, is there more pressure on Wisky to win at home coming off a good year, but possibly dealing with "an unusual O and D"? OR is there more pressure on us to whoop up on them, after they survived the season and they have pretty much spent all their "schemes", but they are at home??
I expect them to lose both games, but I have a feeling they may have more fight in them when they meet Wisky.

Remember Nebraska fans haven't seen PSU play much either, they are probably going on name recognition. Iowa has whipped PSU on the lines the last two years and with what is returning I see no reason for that battle to change this year either.

Penn State has had issues with their OL for the last two years as well as their QB position. Didn't Joe Pa start a freshman QB last year? And then after the spring game this year they still didn't have a sure starter at QB.
I get were playing in Happy Valley gives PSU an FG or TD edge, but most of the Huskers have Nebraska losing to PSU. A lot of Husker fans have Nebraska beating Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan and Iowa.
Its probably just a lack of B10 knowledge on their part.

That is exactly right.
On a side note to all this hate fest of a post we are about to embark on. I have a serious question. If they are keeping everything hush hush over there and "having a new O" and making adjustments on D, is there more pressure on Wisky to win at home coming off a good year, but possibly dealing with "an unusual O and D"? OR is there more pressure on us to whoop up on them, after they survived the season and they have pretty much spent all their "schemes", but they are at home??
I expect them to lose both games, but I have a feeling they may have more fight in them when they meet Wisky.

I look at Nebraska as being a team with a lot of potential on par with the upper B10 teams but they also have some gaps. If they show up to their B10 opener with a whole new scheme it may end up costing them. A special scheme offense and cold weather may not be a good mix. Any way the Big Ten will have a few games to watch their new O and tweaked D.

Isn't Nebraska a running team? Martinez runs and they had that Helu Jr. I didn't hear anything about them really last year besides those two players being good in that one aspect (running). If they plan on running and beating us, good luck with that strategy.I also think they alternated between QB's because neither was very good at playing QB. Their coach has also been known to fly off the handle. PSU is also just a mess, they're likely starting McGloin this year, we all know how dynamic he is.

I get how people can see one bad season and be optimistic, but these two teams haven't been very good in a while, the fans really have no place being so cocky. I don't go around bragging about how Iowa will crush an opponent, but I will discuss what is reasonable to expect. Some fan bases are so annoying.

Penn State has had issues with their OL for the last two years as well as their QB position. Didn't Joe Pa start a freshman QB last year? And then after the spring game this year they still didn't have a sure starter at QB.
I get were playing in Happy Valley gives PSU an FG or TD edge, but most of the Huskers have Nebraska losing to PSU. A lot of Husker fans have Nebraska beating Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan and Iowa.
Its probably just a lack of B10 knowledge on their part.

Hey Guys. I realize this is a Hawkeye board, so hope I'm not intruding...just wanted to throw in my perspective.

Of course youll find some "out there" perspectives on a message board, but the majority of our fan base is much more realistic than this. We actually have some Big Ten knowledge coming in...knowing we were joining we followed quite a bit last year.

Our D SHOULD be very, very good, but I want to see how we play against a more pro-set heavy conference. We played a ton of sets with 2 LB and lots of DBs last year...that must change.

Our O is a tossup right now. Taylor was great when on and healthy, but horrible when injured (or not mentally ready). Also, new O-coord means a lot of learning for all.

Very few of us see the team winning at Wisconsin. First Big Ten road game for a raw offense against a top ten team. HawkeyeScott is correct about the PSU game...simply see this as closer to 50/50 as its a road game. I worry about an unknown Michigan team for the same reason. Michigan State is at home, but they will be a tough out this year. As for your Hawks, that game scares me as much as any, as you are being downplayed by the national media this year. Iowa is always dangerous when under the radar.

In all honesty, the D should keep us in all games, but our division is up for grabs.

Latest posts